Crom's T:V Impressions from GDC

Wulfen said:
Just like the medium wasn't useless.

It's not in T2. Mediums are used occasionally for capping in classic and reasonably often for raping in both base and classic. Granted its the least-used armor, but one of them has to be. And with their demonstrated bias toward taking things out of the game that aren't frequently useful, I'd say the designers are going to put some effort into trying to make the light desirable for some roles.

Zoolooman said:
Can't happen. Stay home LD will still use the sniper rifle, and you have to be in the light armor to use the sniper rifle. Plus, if it is sufficiently mobile, you'll see people capping with the light armor anyways.

haven't we seen screens of mediums with the rifle, or is it just the reliance on the epack that has been removed?

Last edited:
I still think they should have a repair kit. But, I will play Devil's Advocate for a few minutes.

No repair kit... balanced?

What is a repair kit? Well, it's effectively a bit of your health bar. Except instead of being part of your health bar, it's a seperate little chunk that you can apply, forget to use, throw to other people, or die instantly and be unable to apply.

Well, it isn't hard to see that removing the repair kit and adding the kit's health back onto the main bar insures that the players never have to worry about the kits loss. Effectively, you don't have to worry about the kit anymore, and the game balance remains the same.

Sortof.

The difference is in the Heavy Offense. Yeah, those guys who run into your base and start blowing shazbot and people up with equal discretion. Where is the difference, you might ask?

Well, in T1 and T2, 90% of the repair kits I earned in my experience were acquired in two ways. The first constitutes the vast majority of acquirements, and the second the remainder. Oh yeah, and the third option deals with arena.

• I was a HO. I killed people with the mortar. I used their repair kits to keep myself alive.
  • I was a LD. I killed people with the mine disc or a friend and I eliminated them with two discs at once. I used their repair kits to assure I didn't need to go to the inventory.
  • I was playing Arena. Someone got killed quick, and their repair kit saved my damned life.

Now, since the T:V HO doesn't have to face the mine disc, one can easily imagine that you increase defensive strength by assuring the HO can't scavenge repair kits. This would possibly be a positive or negative balance. I frankly can't tell, because I haven't played T:V.

The LD can just have a sniper with a repair pack to heal him up. Chasers never used repair kits anyways, so I don't see this as a big problem.

As for Arena. I lament the loss in Arena. Repair kits and repair patches are a large part of the Arena dynamic, as are ammo and weapon spawns. The loss of ammo spawns and repair patches and repair kits would be dissapointing, and would likely only be covered by adding in recovery (equivalent to ammo) stations on the map. Stations useful to both teams.

jsut said:
haven't we seen screens of mediums with the rifle, or is it just the reliance on the epack that has been removed?

We've never seen a screen with a medium holding a sniper rifle, except once. In that screen, we saw a BE medium carrying the rifle. This shot was taken when the game was at 35% completion, and it was weeks before the sniper rifle was officially announced at Gamespot as "the light-specific weapon."

Since then, we've only seen lights carrying the rifle. They did note that the pack restriction is gone, but the armor-restriction is still there.

Zoolooman said:
I still think they should have a repair kit. But, I will play Devil's Advocate for a few minutes.

Now, since the T:V HO doesn't have to face the mine disc, one can easily imagine that you increase defensive strength by assuring the HO can't scavenge repair kits. This would possibly be a positive or negative balance. I frankly can't tell, because I haven't played T:V.

true but you can only mine disk by first buying mines. most of the times if heavy was in the base you couldnt access mines easily. Players usually just rushed the heavies as soon as they spawned to try kill them. forgive me if i'm wrong but i dont think you spawned with mines anyways.

The LD can just have a sniper with a repair pack to heal him up. Chasers never used repair kits anyways, so I don't see this as a big problem.

i disagree bigtime. chasers didnt use repair kits? Chasers usually disk jumped to chase after the flag carrier cause they went so fast. What did they do after the dj? healed with repair kits. whats the use to chase when all the capper has to do is turn around and put a few cg bullets in you?

As for Arena. I lament the loss in Arena. Repair kits and repair patches are a large part of the Arena dynamic, as are ammo and weapon spawns. The loss of ammo spawns and repair patches and repair kits would be dissapointing, and would likely only be covered by adding in recovery (equivalent to ammo) stations on the map. Stations useful to both teams.

i also played arena and we definately need these in arena.

If you read closely, you'd realize my argument implied the health kit's health was now included in your health bar. You never lost it, you just don't have to hit a key to use it. Chasers used it - so did everyone else. The point was, the chasers never found a situation to pick up kits that other people forgot to use.

=BL=VorteX said:
true but you can only mine disk by first buying mines. most of the times if heavy was in the base you couldnt access mines easily. Players usually just rushed the heavies as soon as they spawned to try kill them. forgive me if i'm wrong but i dont think you spawned with mines anyways.

there is no mine disc in T:V. he was saying that not having to get minedisced means heavies would last longer, so they wouldn't need kits.

=BL=VorteX said:
i disagree bigtime. chasers didnt use repair kits? Chasers usually disk jumped to chase after the flag carrier cause they went so fast. What did they do after the dj? healed with repair kits. whats the use to chase when all the capper has to do is turn around and put a few cg bullets in you?

Yep. I spent almost my entire Tribes days as a chaser, the repair kit was used constantly.

At least we still get a disk launcher. Err, don't we?

I don't like the idea of playing ctf with tr2 walls, but I can't judge yet. I just hope they allow at least a little leway around the play area so you can still do OOB-style cap routes.

Zoolooman said:
If you read closely, you'd realize my argument implied the health kit's health was now included in your health bar. You never lost it, you just don't have to hit a key to use it. Chasers used it - so did everyone else. The point was, the chasers never found a situation to pick up kits that other people forgot to use.

Well, if the light is practically dead from a disk-jump, then the health kit's health has simply disappeared.

pyrot3chnic said:
I don't like the idea of playing ctf with tr2 walls, but I can't judge yet. I just hope they allow at least a little leway around the play area so you can still do OOB-style cap routes.

Yeah, apparently the newbie crowd has to be pointed where to go too, or they might run for miles in the wrong direction. : \

About the repair kit: In the videos, whenever someone dies, they drop a health pack. Does this happen in MP? If so, you can get extra health by just killing another person. The main point of scavenging over people was to get their repair kit.

As for the med/light: It seems like the medium is similar to the T1 light. Just because you spawn in medium, doesn't mean that you can't disc jump and chanse after cappers now. Just because it's called a "Medium" and not a "Light" doesn't make a difference. You could call the Medium a Light and the Light a Super-Light and it won't make a difference.

Oh, and if you wanted to see how spawning in a faster medium changes gameplay, you could always try my mod. But what am I thinking? The tribes community are whiney babies that hate change.

Wulfen said:
Well, if the light is practically dead from a disk-jump, then the health kit's health has simply disappeared.

except nothing like T:V's light has existed in previous tribes games. T:V's medium is like T1's light, and T:V's medium can handle a disk jump.

Thrax stated his intentions on the light being super-light and fragile a long time ago. You can still chase well in medium, which has plenty of health for absorbing a disc jump. You default in medium, and it sounds like you can ski naked in medium also. I don't think this will be a big problem. :p

Zoolooman said:

i understand that. Crom posted that if you dj'd as a light you would almost die. now dont you think you need a health kit? If you are a light chaser and medium is as fast as t1/t2 light and is a decent distance from you, you are the only chaser and you dj to get close to him quickly. now you are right behind the medium with the flag. medium turn puts a few bullets in you. you go bye bye very quick. if you had a repair kit you would probably have a good chance of keepin him busy if not killing him. i dont know how fast the light is but this is just a scenario for your devils advocate :)

as for the chasers picking u kits? I was ld/chaser and if there were dead bodies lying in front of me i would definately run over em to grab a kit especially when you have no inventories cause they all went boom and the only way to heal on the field is from dead bodies or ctrl k.

Corrections / Additions:

Crom said:
Grabbing the flag causes you to leave behind a long blue or red trail...which also appears in your screen. It looked kind of strange, and rather distracting.
The flag currently mounts on the player backward (bug) which causes part of the colored tail to be visible to the player. That will be fixed so you don't have a blue smear in front of your face whenever you're carrying the flag.

Crom said:
On the topic of Disc Jumps, Thrax revealed numerous tidbits; firstly, a disc jump would next-to kill a light.
I think I said that "You probably wouldn't want to disk jump twice with a light". One disk jump with a light certainly wouldn't "almost kill you". It may take you down to 45% or so, depending on how close to the splash you are.

Crom said:
You can alter your direction in mid-flight without jetting; what I mean is, if you jet up, let go of jet, and hold right, you will fall to the right.
Gliding. As discussed before this is speed sensitive.

Crom said:
burner/burninator turrets, according to Thrax, would "tear up a light" if you hit one directly
Currently. They are not balanced at the moment, and the damage is really high.

Back