OFFICIAL Rover/Rocket Pod discussion thread

Error|550 said:
Rocket Pod question: Will there be a limited "window of opportunity" to take over it's flight pattern and manually guide it?

Scenario: Fire ... run behind wall/into base to get protection ... click to manually control it ...

That scenario seems a tad off-balance to me.

:shrug:

No. You immediately start controlling them and you can only hit what you can see.

the way i understand it is that when you shoot rockets, you stay in first person mode w/ your guy, and you watch the rockets fly away...meaning your not raming yourself into the target, but trying to estimate the angle at which the rockets are flying and make them manuver and hit stuff.

sounds actually like a skill weapon

Misc answers:

Rocket pods spread when they're fired, but then cluster closer together as they aproach the target.

Didn't see the ski bug in TV yet.

The Rover can flip currently.

There is only one weapon on a Rover, and it's on the roof.

We have no way yet to evaluate the effect of a mobile spawn point. It sounds cool on paper. Could be a disaster, or could be really cool. It all depends on what else is in the game. We'll be looking at this closely as we get closer to, and certainly during, beta.

Blumie said:
Agreed.

As far as the rover goes, I agree with triple that it should be a lot like the Warthog from HALO. Maybe add a grenade launcher...

And if the rocket pod is guided... well fuck you. Why not just make it so it is a rocket launcher that isn't guided? Like a Quake style rocket launcher that can only be fired in medium or heavy armor. Make it one rocket, heavier damage, but tough to hit anything other than a base or vehicle.

The quake rocket launcher is pretty much the disc launcher. Why would you have two weapons that do the same thing, with very minor differences?

Darkfire said:
Remote spawning is good because it will stop spawn killing which is gay..not to mention skill less.

you're kidding right? spawn killing only happens in maps where spawn points are in places where it's easy to be done (like RC w/ mortar spamming). at least in T1.

and who's to say it's not easier to spawn kill this way? kill the driver, then kill each person who spawns there....and now you know exactly where they will spawn

I'd be nice if the Rocket Pod would shoot its rockets, and then some kind of guiding beam would shine from the gun itself, and you could somewhat guide the rockets according to that, like a laser tracker. IMHO, would instill some skill, without being overpowering (make the rockets turn like ass, for example, forcing the player to anticipate movement).

Blumie said:
And if the rocket pod is guided... well fuck you. Why not just make it so it is a rocket launcher that isn't guided? Like a Quake style rocket launcher that can only be fired in medium or heavy armor. Make it one rocket, heavier damage, but tough to hit anything other than a base or vehicle.

Sojourn said:
There is a huge difference. Going from 10 players to 8 players made a pretty big difference in Tribes for a certain tournament.

I see and what top match in T2 did you play in where you are able to judge these things? :)
I use T2 as the example of course because it had vehicle use and T1 did not.

Ixiterra said:
And how the hell do you control these things via mouselook? You stand there like a sitting duck while you aim? Sounds like fun.

You ever pilot a Phoenix projectile in Planetside? It was about the only redeeming quality of the game and it was fun as hell.

Either make rockets non-guided and carried only by med/heavies for base / turret destruction

or

Voidsinger said:
I'd be nice if the Rocket Pod would shoot its rockets, and then some kind of guiding beam would shine from the gun itself, and you could somewhat guide the rockets according to that, like a laser tracker.

this would be good if it was like the targeting laser in T1, so the other team could see you... that way their snipers could have a chance at taking you out, and causing the rocket(s) to continue on whatever path they are on when you died

VirDT said:
I see and what top match in T2 did you play in where you are able to judge these things? :)

Going from 16 to 14 made a difference. 14 to 12 a difference. 12 to 7 a huge difference. So yes, there is a major difference and that is all beside the point because you are sitting there saying your entire team is going to play defense.

VirDT said:

I never played Tribes 2. I never liked the game. If you think a four player difference does not make a difference in a game like T:V will be, you're ignorant.

Back