OFFICIAL Rover/Rocket Pod discussion thread

Error|550 said:
Maybe you could provide Colosus with a link that could be posted on the largest Tribes site as well? Get exposure both ways ...

:bigthumb:

Colosus is going to have it up shortly he said :D

wow, this stuff looks great! i love the rocket pod, seems like it has the potential to separate the men from the boys :p just so long as the rockets can't be guided after a certain time, otherwise i see people sitting around memorizing how to steer the rockets directly into a base/turret/flag stand, spread non-withstanding.

I don't see why you would need another weapon like that. It seems like it would either be worse than the disc and no one would use it, or better than the disc and no one would use the disc

I haven't seen the video yet though

Marweas said:
Funny how misguided someone can be in a post about guided rockets. :chill:

Enlighten me then :)

Sure if they're not too fast/manuverable it won't be easy to hit moving targets but HoF's, Invs, Turrets, sniping LD's don't do a hell of a lot of moving so you can sit there firing salvo after salvo and guiding each one in to the target..

So now we have a weapon that can hit absolutely anything and can be guided from range and does "significant" damage.. and can't be flared off? How is this better than the T2 missile launcher exactly? :)

Aestis said:
I don't see why you would need another weapon like that. It seems like it would either be worse than the disc and no one would use it, or better than the disc and no one would use the disc

I haven't seen the video yet though
Seems like the disc would still own in 1-on-1 ...

Speaking of which, Marweas, can we please mine+disc again? Purty please Massa Brand Manager dude? :heart:

MJ: The first new weapon we're announcing is tentatively called a rocket pod. It fires a cluster of spiraling rockets that constantly move in the direction you're aiming, which lets you control them while they're in the air.
In terms of balance, the rocket pod can be tweaked by adjusting the number of rockets in a cluster, the damage per rocket, the initial and final spread, initial rocket velocity, rocket acceleration, the spiraling pattern of the rockets, the amount of ammo you can carry, and so on. It also can't be used by players in light armor.

If the rockets spiraling pattern has even the slightest nuance of Robotech rocket attacks I swear I'll come in my shoes! :eek:

(Unfortunately, the pictures show straight flight paths for each rocket) :(

Fantasy Musings Over the RP:

A capper grabs the flag and heads for home, suddenly a phalanx of rockets pop up over a nearby hill. Disk jumping, the capper leaves the ground none-too-soon as the rockets detonate where he was once skiing.

Skiing into position near the enemy base, the heavy fires blind into the air ahead of him. As his momentum brings the enemy base into sight, a last-second correction guides the rockets on target. The heavy continues on at high speed.

A medium gets caught out in the open and quickly finds themselves the target of a salvo. With no time remaining, a split second decision is made. The medium, with impeccable timing, throws a grenade or mine amd disks it at just the right distance to create a fireball, that the rockets disappear into. Saving his ass from destruction.

Fuck all you nay-sayers. As long as the rocket guidance is player controlled and requires skill, I want it in the game. :D

Last edited:
Marweas said:
Who then? Not like you guys are in love with Gamespy either. It's got to be someone BIG so non-Tribes fans see them. It's hard to beat front page of Gamespot for broad exposure.

ign lets non-insiders download streaming vids.. insiders get the hi-res and quicktime

nullper said:
ooooooooooooo I just had a thought

could I say fire them at a say 45 degree angle then point my view down ward to get the rocket over a hill for a little blind spam?

Right now, yes, but it would take good timing. After playing with it for awhile, I tended to fire to get the rockets in play, and then look for a target.

How exactly does a rocket launcher fit in with tribes again? My big concern with it is that you actually have to stop and aim the thing to be able to hit a target. Here you're saying that tribes is a celebration of movement and speed, and yet you create a weapon that encourages the opposite. If I'm running a route, I don't want to stop, shoot and aim until the missles hit.

Also, this has been done before. I think every game since Perfect Dark invented it has had a weapon similar to this in some sense. The thing is, it works in most of those games; I don't think it would work in tribes. It only serves to slow the gameplay.

I'm not totally sure about the rover but making it a spawn point seems bad in so many ways. How will defense spawn at the base? Are they supposed to ctrl+k until they get there? And like colossus said, it does take away from the focus of the game: capturing the flag, not destroying OOB spawn points.

One thing that I really don't like is the size of the weapons. They are way too obtrusive. All of them minus the disc launcher tend to look like UT weapons as well. The whole game looks way to much like UT for that matter. Throw up some more scratched metal catwalks, add in some more giant weapons with pretty effects and then top it off with some quad damage and you'll have a nice ut+quake clone w/ skiing.

Marweas said:
Right now, yes, but it would take good timing. After playing with it for awhile, I tended to fire to get the rockets in play, and then look for a target.

Well, at least you looked for a target at some point in your gaming experience.

rockets are just so cliche too, you know? how long did that take you guys to come up with, like 30 seconds?

I remember when tribes was innovative..

Piata=King said:
One thing that I really don't like is the size of the weapons. They are way too obtrusive. All of them minus the disc launcher tend to look like UT weapons as well. The whole game looks way to much like UT for that matter. Throw up some more scratched metal catwalks, add in some more giant weapons with pretty effects and then top it off with some quad damage and you'll have a nice ut+quake clone w/ skiing.

I turn my weapon rendering OFF anyway. All I want is a reticle. Actually, I render the disc launcher only. It seems to help my aim having it on.

Marweas said:
Who then? Not like you guys are in love with Gamespy either. It's got to be someone BIG so non-Tribes fans see them. It's hard to beat front page of Gamespot for broad exposure.

I said EXCLUSIVE. There's no logical reason (in my mind) why Gamespot (of all places) should be the only Internet gaming news website that gets the official video release from Sierra. Why can't you send this out simultaneously to ALL the major game sites AND the fansites like Tribalwar? You can't tell me that a huge portion of your franchise's fanbase isn't right here, all waiting to see the latest goods on T:V. Come on... This is stupid.

Sh33p said:
So now we have a weapon that can hit absolutely anything and can be guided from range and does "significant" damage.. and can't be flared off? How is this better than the T2 missile launcher exactly? :)

Explain how this is worse than what you can currently do with a disc? Except with a disc, once you've targeted and shot, you can hide out of sight.

Back