[Question]Server

Believe the last word on the subject was "no". Due to the physics engine not having Linux version.

No linux Physics Engine, no linux server. Basicaly as simple as that.

Huh, how could a Physics engine(Especially Havok) require something Windows specific? I'm quite sure porting Havok would be trivial, if it hasn't been done yet. I don't think thats the problem...
Havok runs on all consoles, and according to their weppage on "PC" so not "Windows", "PC".

Just doing a cursory search.. cs:source utilizes havok 2.0 and has a linux dedicated server, ut2k4 also has a linux server afaik. Maybe there is hope yet, who knows.

Thrax Panda said:
There are a variety of technical reasons for it (possibly) being impossible to do a Linux server. We are looking at ways to get around those, and we will do a Linux server if possible. There is no possibility of a Linux client, and a 100% chance of locking the thread if people dwell on that fact. The main issue is that [strike]Karma[/strike] Havok is not available for Linux.
http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6313304#6313304

End of Thread.

$hogun said:
Just doing a cursory search.. cs:source utilizes havok 2.0 and has a linux dedicated server, ut2k4 also has a linux server afaik. Maybe there is hope yet, who knows.
Where in those games is havok used? Does it control everything, or just post-mortem death animations like T:V?

That's probably it then. If they use the same kind of client-side ragdoll deaths as T:V then the server doesn't have to keep track of corpses, and so it doesn't have to utilize havok. The problem with T:V is that the vehicles use havok physics as well (and also the ball).

Amadeu5 said:
Where in those games is havok used? Does it control everything, or just post-mortem death animations like T:V?
cs:s has all the crap laying around that you can apparently shoot around.. the object physics are havok. ut2k4 doesnt use havok, it uses karma. t:v also uses havok for vehicles..

i also kinda doubt they dont have some way to run havok on linux..

If there would be some restriction in Havok that it can't be run on Linux i wouldn't even consider it a professional physics engine, and I don't think pro game developers would either.

We figure that Havok will work with linux but we don't know if there's some licensing issue in the way of making the server. This is mostly speculation until we hear something new from the devs.

Back