wut shood i get?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5_AeiWvyhc

Sponsored Links
StapleMammal1
Veteran++
Contributor
Old
2 - 12-13-2019, 13:50
I just use my cell phone as one. Have it in holder and press record upon leaving and stop when I get back. Nothing happens I just delete the vid. HD cam and great sound. No need to buy a stand alone.

NoGodForMe
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
3 - 12-13-2019, 14:41
I have this cheap one that goes all the way back to 2015.
Amazon.com: Black Box G1W-CB Black Bezel Capacitor Model Dash Camera - Heat Resistant - Full HD 1080P H.264 2.7 Wide Angle 4X Zoom Motion Detection Night Vision G-Sensor: Lyon Products LLC
Still works. If you can, get one that doesn't have a battery. Some use a battery and it heats up, then you're screwed after a few years. I saw a Dash Camera in Costco, but didn't take a picture of it. Surf reviews on YouTube.

Odio
VeteranXV
Old
4 - 12-13-2019, 14:43
Quote:
Originally Posted by StapleMammal1 View Post
I just use my cell phone as one. Have it in holder and press record upon leaving and stop when I get back. Nothing happens I just delete the vid. HD cam and great sound. No need to buy a stand alone.
That's some pretty solid advice. Plus, you don't have to think about someone breaking into your car and stealing your ****ing camera while you're in the store.

Mr Jimmy Pop
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
5 - 12-13-2019, 17:34
N

easilyodd
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
6 - 12-13-2019, 19:18
blackvue

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
7 - 12-13-2019, 19:24
I've had a few, forget what brand I'm using now, but it has front and rear facing cams. Records 1080p with forward and rear compressed to fit side by side. Caught a near mis with a deer in Wyoming with the old single lens, and a guy going off the road into a pole right in front of me.

The newer one was a gift, and the older ones were like 15$ on clearance. All record on a mini sd card, suction cup to the windshield, and come on/ start recording when the car is started.

A little cya can go a long ways I've learned, and they are cheap insurance.

Bughead
VeteranXX
Old
8 - 12-13-2019, 19:42
BlackVue DR900S or Thinkware U1000

StapleMammal1
Veteran++
Contributor
Old
9 - 12-14-2019, 02:42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odio View Post
That's some pretty solid advice. Plus, you don't have to think about someone breaking into your car and stealing your ****ing camera while you're in the store.
Right, but people love to over complicate things.

HumDumpin
ReeeingRainbowXV
Old
10 - 12-14-2019, 09:38
I installed a viofo A129 in one vehicle. Features parking "sentry mode" type operation running off the car battery when you hard wire it using fuse splitters. Has front and rear 1080 cameras, and the whole install kit plus cam were about 200$. The micro sd card was extra.

I see a lot of blackvue cameras around as well, if its cold af where you live you might consider those for longevity. I think they use 2 capacitors instead of batteries. Viofo A129 only uses a capacitor for the rear camera, the front is battery powered.

easilyodd
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
11 - 12-14-2019, 15:59
They all have accessory batteries to keep you from running your car battery down.

This guy has a lot of practical videos of use.

His going over the practical side of getting video off the cams and how much of a pain some can be influenced me to choose BlackVue.

HumDumpin
ReeeingRainbowXV
Old
12 - 12-14-2019, 16:06
Quote:
Originally Posted by easilyodd View Post
They all have accessory batteries to keep you from running your car battery down.
Viofo one I've got uses a voltage cutoff switch you can set so you don't end up with a dead battery.

Zanthious
Tribalwar Admin
Old
13 - 12-14-2019, 16:08
duct tape + VHS Camcorder BRo. Stop making this difficult

samUwell
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
14 - 12-14-2019, 16:15
Excellent thread. I've been wanting one of these dash cams for a long time.

I really like this BlackVue DR900S-2CH 4K UHD but, is this something I install myself or do I take it somewhere and have it installed?

HumDumpin
ReeeingRainbowXV
Old
15 - 12-14-2019, 18:48
Quote:
Originally Posted by samUwell View Post
Excellent thread. I've been wanting one of these dash cams for a long time.

I really like this BlackVue DR900S-2CH 4K UHD but, is this something I install myself or do I take it somewhere and have it installed?
Install yourself, you just need the install kit, some plastic pry bars for your trim, and maybe a volt meter. It may take a little while to get everything tucked in just right depending on what kind of vehicle you're installing in.

NoGodForMe
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
16 - 12-15-2019, 02:27
You don***8217;t have to hard wire and hide all the wires if you don***8217;t want too. You can buy a 3 port cig adapter and run the wire to you back window between the seats.
Amazon.com: Cigarette Lighter Adapter 3 Socket Cigarette Lighter Splitter with LED Voltage Display Dual USB Car Charger On/Off Switches 12V Car Splitter Adapter for iPhone iPad Samsung GPS Dashcam Replaceable fus: Automotive
I do this because I rent cars and want to take my camera with me.
For the front camera the wire runs over the passenger sun shade, drops down, and goes to the cig lighter. If a passenger is in the car, I just drop the wire down in the middle.

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
17 - 12-15-2019, 02:41
Yep. I suction cup mine to the windshield next to the rear view mirror on the drivers side, and drape the wire over the mirror mount down the center to the cig lighter. Easy to pull out when I take another car or truck.

HumDumpin
ReeeingRainbowXV
Old
18 - 12-15-2019, 06:39
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGodForMe View Post
You don’t have to hard wire and hide all the wires if you don’t want too. You can buy a 3 port cig adapter and run the wire to you back window between the seats.
For some models that disables the parking mode feature where it will take motion activated video clips of anything that passes in front of the camera while the vehicle is off. Some of them work off the cars battery power, and the cig adapter port isn't on when your keys are out of the ignition, so you need to tap another power source.

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
19 - 12-15-2019, 11:04
Some cars leave the cig lighter hot. My Saab does. Looks like some of those flip modes when GPS tells it to.

easilyodd
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
20 - 12-15-2019, 13:46
Ran the wire to the back cam via the headliner and a thin flexible rod. Only had to move two pieces of trim a bit. Hate wiring in to headliner equipment but managed to make it work.

Will get it all redone when I get a new head unit, speakers and update the backup camera. Possibly install side cameras too.

Page 1 of 2

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Dashcams

Social Website Bullshit