Download and play some Renegades!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30678500/Renegades030912.zip

OK, Flag tossing is working. Could maybe need a little tweaking but in general it works pretty damn good. I made a lot of changes and improvements, the major ones include:

Flag tossing, yay.
Multiplayer chat system is now functional.
There is a functional "Rabbit" gametype, Player holding the flag gets 1 point per second.
Z changes zoom level.
Physics bullets (grenade launcher) now inherit velocity from the shooter accurately.

The server is started and its on a rotation between IceRidge and DangerousCrossing, flag is in the middle on both maps. There is no out of bounds system implemented yet so please just stay in the middle area of the map so people can find you. Server address is already populated, just hit multiplayer, change your name and connect.

I would prefer it if you joined the server and tossed some flags between some other people (as opposed to single player) in order to provide feedback.

I am looking for feedback mainly on the flag tossing and grenade launcher physics.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Game crashes whenever I try to connect to the server.

Yeah I seen that, hrm. Let me check something.

Does it give any type of error? I just downloaded the file from the same link and it works fine.

Could be a config error, you can run the configurator and turn off depth buffer access and full-scene antialiasing.

Yeah just loaded it on a laptop and my brothers computer works fine. Would it be possible to post the error you get if you get one? This will help alot.

Thanks.

Last edited:
The error message was too fast for me to see. Had to record and got a screenshot of it.

http://i.imgur.com/auKEG.png

Do I have to download a newer version or something? Haven't really read through this thread.

No, you have latest version and dont need to download anything else.

You should not be getting that error though, its a server problem, I will reload it and see if that fixes it.

I also reuploaded and changed the filename incase dropbox was still hosting the old file instead of the new one.

Last edited:
The error message was too fast for me to see. Had to record and got a screenshot of it.

http://i.imgur.com/auKEG.png

Do I have to download a newer version or something? Haven't really read through this thread.

After further investigation it was because dropbox had you download the old version instead of the new one. I was able to download the old version from the server using the the history thing and I got the same error.

I have since uploaded the new version with a new filename so that cannot happen again. Sorry for the inconvenience. New version is http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30678500/Renegades030912.zip

Last edited:
Flag physics seem good, though I can't say I'm a big fan of it automatically attaching to me if I'm near it(reminds me of Reach in Tribes: Ascend). Several times I was in the air, tossed it, only to have it came right back at me because I was close to it. It could mess up flag passes.

It can stay I guess if there's either a throw meter(hold down F to throw it further), or simply have a Max Throw key.

Last edited:
Flag physics seem good, though I can't say I'm a big fan of it automatically attaching to me if I'm near it(reminds me of Reach in Tribes: Ascend). Several times I was in the air, tossed it, only to have it came right back at me because I was close to it. It could mess up flag passes.

It can stay I guess if there's either a throw meter(hold down F to throw it further), or simply have a Max Throw key.

I made the flag take radius kinda large so that its slightly easier to catch in the air, I can make the radius lower easily.

I know what you are saying about it coming right back to you sometimes, I increased the toss power slightly, it should be much better now.

New build. Noticed the flag was more than twice as big as the T1 flag leading to having to make the grab radius larger so that touching any part of the flag would cause you to grab it. This had the negative affect of making it so that if you got anywhere near it you would grab it. (Like Ascend)

Made the flag the correct size in relation to the player and decreased the grab radius and now its pretty accurate in comparison to T1. Also increase the flag toss velocity so its pretty close to T1.

Had to make client side changes in order to decrease the flag mesh size so therefor new build: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30678500/Renegades031012.zip

Hello everyone tank you 4 attending tribal war GDC (game developer's conference)

This panel is sponsored by what is it? or guess it? game.

2day we have leeleatherwood talking about the future of tribes games we will begin our session with a Q&A

Lee, how do you propose to beat your new competition in indie tribe game space? Project Free Fall -

wat make u difernt than previous tribe projects like http://www.moddb.com/mods/tribal-wars

Do you have plans for mobile release?

What kind of qualifications you need 2 b gr8 game developer such as u?

ty 4 asnwer

Last edited:
Hello everyone tank you 4 attending tribal war GDC (game developer's conference)

This panel is sponsored by what is it? or guess it? game.

2day we have leeleatherwood talking about the future of tribes games we will begin our session with a Q&A

Lee, how do you propose to beat your new competition in indie tribe game space? Project Free Fall -

I have not heard about Free Fall until today. I took a look at the video and downloaded the demo. Certainly it is a start; and every project has a start, (not to sound rude or mean) but nothing about this has impressed me. As far as I can tell it is the UDK with a toggle to turn off friction and a jetpack, much like Ascend.

With that being said I am sure it will get better. The UDK is an amazing engine and in the right hands it is very powerfull. Whoever is working on Free Fall at least has an interest in FPSZ games and some sort of programming knowledge and this is a good thing. I wish him the best of luck and hope to see his project thrive.

wat make u difernt than previous tribe projects like Tribal Wars mod - Mod DB

Tribal-Wars was an amazing product with amazing results. Everything about Tribal-Wars impressed me. The physics are good, the graphics are very good and in my opinion was the best community inspired mod/game to date.

On the other hand, it was a mod, which means it relied on a game and also that games playerbase. Enemy Territories was a decent game but just did not have a dedicated playerbase necessary to support a mod of its own. To this I feel was its downfall.

If Tribal-Wars were to be its own game and not dragged down by the dwindling multiplayer community of ETQW it would have probably gone somewhere.

Do you have plans for mobile release?

By mobile I am assuming you mean Android and iOS, if so: no. I dont feel these platforms are capable of providing a genuinely good gaming experience like a PC can. Possibly some features for these devices may be added to help manage player run dedicated servers, but no sort of game functionality will be provided on these devices.

What kind of qualifications you need 2 b gr8 game developer such as u?

Honestly I am not sure. I just try my best with the tools and time I have available to me. I had some great help in GUI department from MilkMan but currently I am doing this solo. If you have the drive and determination and the willingness to learn you can accomplish alot.

ty 4 asnwer

Thank you for your interest.

Last edited:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30678500/Renegades031112.zip

New build.

-Tweaked the energy system a bit. I felt the player had too much energy and it regened too fast.
-Flag tossing I think is now pretty spot on.
-Improved the "grabbing" of the flag. There was an issue where if you were going too fast you would not grab the flag and fly right through it. To counteract that problem I increased the radius that the player could pick up the flag, this helped but was not the correct way to fix the problem. I fixed it the correct way and the flag grab radius is now similar to T1.
-NonPhysics bullets (disc, chain, ect) now inherit player velocity.
-Player mass was decreased, now feels less "floaty"
-Decreased disc velocity, it was way too fast.
-Slightly Increased blast radius and impulse from both the disc launcher and grenade launcher explosions.
-Some other stuff I cant remember...

Finished the Gloves today.

FemaleLightArmorFrontWIP.png

FemaleLightArmorBackWIP.png

Got it rigged today and doing some funky pose.

This is my first time rigging anything at all. I think I did pretty good but there are a few tiny touchups I can do.

PoseFront.png

Loaded up a quick biped animation file to look for faults. There are some issues with clipping problems of the armor, especially the thigh piece and the butt.

These are easily fixable but its not too bad for the first attempt.

Back