rogue tips for hitting 80 in 3.3

RDF system can get a bit wonky during peak hours. I clocked in as a healer for TBC (64 druid) and I got an insta-group. Right after that I did the same thing and another insta-group, only this time one of the DPS didn't punch in. We were thrown back into the system and it took 8 minutes to find one more DPS.

Damn he got himself some gear quick, must be grouping with a tank friend.

Finding groups as a tank or healer is cake. I switch my shaman to his off spec (resto) just for random heroics. My average que time last night was never more than 30 seconds. Anytime I que as DPS I always end up waiting 5-10 mins.

It's not a huge difference but if you plan to run 3-5 heroics, it adds up.

with the change to deadly poisons, there's no need to switch out the offhand anymore for the wound poison. I'm hitting 2.3K dps now that i've added envenom into my rotation. The only gear i have is pretty much TOC 5 and the 2 daggers from ICC.

Wait, you were using wound poison in the offhand, IP in the main hand? Why wouldn't you just use IP in both hands if you were weapon swapping? 2.3k dps with ToC5 and 2 daggers is pretty damn low.

Envenom should be the only ability in your rotation to max envenom up time.

Garrote -> HfB -> mut -> SnD -> Mut till 4 or 5 CPs, Envenom. Only gets complicated once a minute if you don't have a bleed person in group.

Wait, you were using wound poison in the offhand, IP in the main hand? Why wouldn't you just use IP in both hands if you were weapon swapping? 2.3k dps with ToC5 and 2 daggers is pretty damn low.

Envenom should be the only ability in your rotation to max envenom up time.

Garrote -> HfB -> mut -> SnD -> Mut till 4 or 5 CPs, Envenom. Only gets complicated once a minute if you don't have a bleed person in group.

I use wound poison in the MH, deadly poisons in the offhand. My point about the offhand was once deadly poisons maxed it's stack, you switch the offhand to something with wound poison until you need to refresh deadly.

I'll have to double check but if you use deadly poisons, you should be able to leave the rupture out of your rotation for the HfB. And if you look at my gear, i have about 5 pieces of Toc5 and the 2 dagger from ICC. I still need significant upgrades elsewhere.

I understood that you meeded WP on the MH and DP on the OH. Guess i'll check out IP on both hands next time i'm on see if the dps is better. thnx.

personally I like to snd on the first point then immediately use envenom (or a quick muti in if I didn't get a cp) for the immediate refresh to 20. But that's just me :) I find it can typically squeeze just out max raid dps within 2 seconds of a fight beginning, which is pretty sick

God I wonder how bad they're gonna nerf us next patch. Blizz has hated rogues since 2.0

I use wound poison in the MH, deadly poisons in the offhand. My point about the offhand was once deadly poisons maxed it's stack, you switch the offhand to something with wound poison until you need to refresh deadly.

I'll have to double check but if you use deadly poisons, you should be able to leave the rupture out of your rotation for the HfB. And if you look at my gear, i have about 5 pieces of Toc5 and the 2 dagger from ICC. I still need significant upgrades elsewhere.

I understood that you meeded WP on the MH and DP on the OH. Guess i'll check out IP on both hands next time i'm on see if the dps is better. thnx.

You can't leave rupture out of your rotation unless you have a feral druid or a warrior in the group (or other rogues still using rupture). From what I gather, you run 5 mans, which is why I even mentioned this. Should almost never be a problem in 10s and probably never a problem in 25s.

Rupture or garotte is what gives you your HfB. You should have Improved Poisons if you're mutilate, and therefore, should be using Instant Poison as opposed to Wound. You will see a significant increase with this. You don't want to use IP in both hands. Just IP Mainhand, DP offhand. No weapon swapping.

You never, ever, used Wound as Mutilate. (in PvE)

Thanks.

You can't leave rupture out of your rotation unless you have a feral druid or a warrior in the group (or other rogues still using rupture). From what I gather, you run 5 mans, which is why I even mentioned this. Should almost never be a problem in 10s and probably never a problem in 25s.

Rupture or garotte is what gives you your HfB. You should have Improved Poisons if you're mutilate, and therefore, should be using Instant Poison as opposed to Wound. You will see a significant increase with this. You don't want to use IP in both hands. Just IP Mainhand, DP offhand. No weapon swapping.

Ok, thnx. I only leave out the rupture because of the deadly poisons giving me ability to use HfB, i tend to keep rupture up when i can, so maybe i'm thinking of a time i was running with another rogue. Before now, i hadn't played a rogue since before BC.

And yea, i'm pretty much running 5 mans only right now. Thanks for the info...I'll check my dps next time I'm on.

As for the weapon swapping, i personally never did it. Didn't get my daggers until 3.3 dropped (hit 80 thanksgiving, so i just waited to switch specs until 3.3). I just remember reading about people doing weapon swapping of the OH when deadly poisons maxed it's stack for additional damage.

here's my armory now: LINK

How much hit should I be going for? I know I need 26 expertise. Should I be going 600+ hit?
I'm also using IP on MH and DP on OH now and it has improved my dps by a lot. I still have some upgrades to go for but im getting a lot better. Anymore suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

Ok, thnx. I only leave out the rupture because of the deadly poisons giving me ability to use HfB, i tend to keep rupture up when i can, so maybe i'm thinking of a time i was running with another rogue. Before now, i hadn't played a rogue since before BC.

And yea, i'm pretty much running 5 mans only right now. Thanks for the info...I'll check my dps next time I'm on.

As for the weapon swapping, i personally never did it. Didn't get my daggers until 3.3 dropped (hit 80 thanksgiving, so i just waited to switch specs until 3.3). I just remember reading about people doing weapon swapping of the OH when deadly poisons maxed it's stack for additional damage.

Stink, you know I love ya man. We used to play T1 together and all, but DP does not allow you to trigger HfB. Only bleeds do (Garotte, Rupture, warrriors, feral druids).

Don't do ruptures in your rotation. I meant only throw up a rupture if your HfB is about to expire and you have no bleeders in your group/10man/raid.

here's my armory now: LINK

How much hit should I be going for? I know I need 26 expertise. Should I be going 600+ hit?
I'm also using IP on MH and DP on OH now and it has improved my dps by a lot. I still have some upgrades to go for but im getting a lot better. Anymore suggestions would be great.

Hit below 315 > Expertise Below 26 (214) > Agility > Haste > Hit above 315 > Crit.

In short, you want to at least be spell and expertise capped and gem for agility beyond that.

Then you want gear with haste/hit (until 722)/crit in that order.

Once you get the basics down, maximize envenom uptime. I did that through powerauras. As you mutilate (and get ruthlessness procs) yuo may have to envenom after 1 mut or sometimes 2. If you can envenom after 1 Mut (4 CP) then wait till Envenom buff is about to drop off before you do it to maximize uptime.

Last edited:
well i appreciate u trying to help but considering Pessi's armory page, gemming for agi isn't what i should be doing.

waiting on the envenom buff i will try.

im up over 500 hit now with my new trinket and i'll be closer to expertise cap by tomorrow.

In a perfect world, you want to clip the envenom buff with like 0.1 seconds left (so your Envenom gets the increased IP proc chance as well). I'm not sure if erring on either side of that is better or worse, but I'd guess that leaving it longer is probably the better choice. So try to clip the very very tail end of the buff.

My gemming is a bit strange at the moment because I'm extremely close to the Hit/Haste tipping point. With less gear you're probably going to want to always go with haste for your yellow hybrid gems.

Back