Tank Addons?

GraphiX

Veteran XX
I've been leveling this DK in my free time since i've gotten somewhat bored on my main. Actually enjoying tanking instances and collecting two sets of gear for leveling / instance tanking..but I'm wondering if you guys know of any addons that are considered "must haves" for tanking.

I know you guys know more about this game than I do, so please cover my face with your milky wisdom.

Omen? That, and enabling "show enemy nameplates" are all I really consider mandatory for tanking. Your keybinds and UI will do more for your tanking than any addon, omen will simply tell you if you need to kick it up a notch threatwise or if you have a lock and can go take a piss while they kill the mob you're tanking.

Omen? That, and enabling "show enemy nameplates" are all I really consider mandatory for tanking. Your keybinds and UI will do more for your tanking than any addon, omen will simply tell you if you need to kick it up a notch threatwise or if you have a lock and can go take a piss while they kill the mob you're tanking.

That is pretty much it, show enemy name plates is key, I use aloft which has a better design then the default, also when somebody starts to get over your threat the aura around the mobs nameplate turns from red to orange/yellow before it goes after them.

Last edited:
That is pretty much it, show enemy name plates is key, I use aloft which has a better design then the default, also when somebody starts to get over your threat the aura around the mobs nameplate turns from ret to orange before it goes after them.

Would that also move their nameplates at all? The normal default is pretty much smooshed right on the mobs head and it gets difficult to pick one someone in a pack. Maybe it never changed, but it seems to me the faceplates have been pushed into the actual mob more than they used to.

Would that also move their nameplates at all? The normal default is pretty much smooshed right on the mobs head and it gets difficult to pick one someone in a pack. Maybe it never changed, but it seems to me the faceplates have been pushed into the actual mob more than they used to.

This change is in the patch notes.

You can change it back in interface options. However, you can repeatedly click one spot of the gaggle of nameplates and it will select the different mobs in the pack.

And another nod to Omen + nameplates.

This change is in the patch notes.

You can change it back in interface options. However, you can repeatedly click one spot of the gaggle of nameplates and it will select the different mobs in the pack.

And another nod to Omen + nameplates.

I'll have to look, I simply noticed the nameplates hovering nicely over them to being squashed down to the mob itself. I'm favoring my hunter over my paladin right now, really enjoying the role change.

I already had Omen, but enabled nameplates and downloaded Aloft and messed with them. I like them a LOT better than the bulky default nameplates.

The red/orange glow is invaluable.

Next Question:

What's the best tank spec for leveling? I have a dual wield frost tanking spec and a DPS Blood off-spec I use for solo leveling. My GM who is an "experienced" DK said I'd be fine scrapping frost and just wearing tank gear + DPS spec..so this would mean tanking as Blood in my defense gear (My defense is about 520 @ Level 76 - not bad for my level)

My understanding is DK's can tank in any spec, I only see Frost and Blood DK tanks though, with Frost having better AoE threat capabilities.

I'm getting 3500-4000 Howling Blast crits at 76 in tank gear...I see where you're coming from with the AoE threat.

We had such a dominant group last night running instances through the dungeon finder that I was tanking in DPS gear, Blood Spec and in Blood Presence..and I still tanked it without going below like 70% health...yay for competent healers!

Everybody in our group (levels 74-76) was pulling 1500-2200 DPS..i've been with several 80's that do half that.

I'm getting 3500-4000 Howling Blast crits at 76 in tank gear...I see where you're coming from with the AoE threat.

We had such a dominant group last night running instances through the dungeon finder that I was tanking in DPS gear, Blood Spec and in Blood Presence..and I still tanked it without going below like 70% health...yay for competent healers!

Everybody in our group (levels 74-76) was pulling 1500-2200 DPS..i've been with several 80's that do half that.

I have to see is raid healing if vastly different from 5-man healing. I heal all the time on my priest (76, disc) and occasionally on my holy paladin in heroics. Very rarely have I been in an "OH SHIT" position when healing, it seems fairly easy and I'm not sure why people bitch.

1. Dual-spec for healing.
2. Queue into RDF as healer.
3. Wait the time it takes you to cast a Greater Heal.
4. Get group.
5. Heal people.
6. ???
7. Free gear.

Very rarely do I have a tank and DPS who can't manage threat and they end up dying because I can't heal them both at the same time.

Back