Page 5 of 7
havax
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
81 - 09-10-2018, 22:02
Quote:
Originally Posted by coombz View Post
you claimed that Thresh was an avid Vox and whatever else reader, because his facts about guilty pleas triggered you
And I ****ing called it didn't I? right after I suggested that book he let us know how he really feels. He's a soy boy sjw ******, just like I thought. I'm very perceptive.

Sponsored Links
coombz
VeteranXX
Old
82 - 09-10-2018, 22:08
I just glanced over page 3 again...it looks like you are very good at re-writing events to suit the story in your head

...so I can see why that kind of book would appeal to you

Edofnor
VeteranXX
Old
83 - 09-10-2018, 22:11
here is a bigly book for the tribal racial holy war gaming news community:

Semantik
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
84 - 09-10-2018, 22:30
Quote:
Originally Posted by coombz View Post
the first one is a little childish and clumsy, comparatively

don't let that put you off though, it's definitely worth reading the series, I think!

my gf has been going through them again for only the 2nd time ever, and it's been really cool to see her enjoying them so much

I wish I could wipe my brain so I could read stuff again for the first time
Right on. I will go on and give them a shot. Thanks.

I re-read Robert McCammon's 'Boys life" every couple of years. Great book.

Thresh
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
85 - 09-10-2018, 22:33
All you need to know about the Harry Potter books is Stephen King thinks it***8217;s the best series ever written.

coombz
VeteranXX
Old
86 - 09-10-2018, 22:40
my man SK probably hasn't read any Dan Abnett though tbh

Semantik
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
87 - 09-10-2018, 22:43
I am just getting tired of my normal fare....I enjoyed the films, but everyone says the books are so much better so I figured this would be as good a time as any...Thanks fellas.

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
88 - 09-10-2018, 23:05
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam View Post
I only read physical books. I find reading on a screen, other than a quick article, too easy to look at other ****.
Get an eReader (KOBO) and turn off the wifi. All you have then is an internal dictionary if u want to look up any tricky words.

No distractions + the eInk screens with day/night dimmable lighting are godlike

beast
VeteranXX
Old
89 - 09-11-2018, 00:25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArakAtak View Post
Get an eReader (KOBO) and turn off the wifi. All you have then is an internal dictionary if u want to look up any tricky words.

No distractions + the eInk screens with day/night dimmable lighting are godlike
What's your favorite KOBO model / the one you use?

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
90 - 09-11-2018, 00:48
I have the Aura H2O edition 2. I tried the Aura ONE with the bigger screen (7.8" vs 6.8") but found it wouldn't fit into my coat pocket. The 6.8" screen is plenty big anyway.
Both models are totally waterproof as well which may be handy if u read by the pool or in the bath.

The only thing I would add is a button to turn the page, I don't really like the whole touch screen thing. The Kindle Oasis has the buttons, but I don't want to have to use Amazon, the Kobo is more open, I don't use a Kobo account. I just transfer my own books to it.

Last edited by ArakAtak; 09-11-2018 at 00:51..
LGBR
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
91 - 09-11-2018, 00:50
i read ghost fleet recently and its p gud

i imagine that our upcoming war w china will have a few similarities

SuicideTaxi
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
92 - 09-11-2018, 02:04
BOOKS mutha****as!

Not politics n ****!

LGBR
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
93 - 09-11-2018, 02:08
ghost fleet is the fictional account of the start of ww3 told through numerous ppl including the captain of the uss zumwaldt and an elon musk-esque billionaire amongst others

its not super political, just an interesting look at what the near future could be like, as well as y the next war will start in space and wont be nuclear

and also how americans will never lose GG MURICUHHHH

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
94 - 09-11-2018, 06:46
I'm reading "The Arabian Nights: The One Thousand and One Nights" it's not too bad, lots of chopping people up and thieving going on.

(Not too bad...they've only been popular for about 1300 years!)

Not sure what next, I've been ploughing through all the works of Haruki Marukami over the last year or so. Fantastic writer, his use of dialogue and internal thoughts of his characters are amazing and unique, like nothing I've read before.

I'm up to one which takes place over a single night (After Dark) and the point is you are supposed to read it in real time by staying up all night and following the timing on the chapters. Need to find a chance to do it, sounds cool.

My favourites are probably "South of the Border, West of the Sun" and "Sputnik Sweetheart" All his books are quite strange and often leave you wondering WTF?

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
95 - 09-11-2018, 07:22
Oh, I also recently read most of Noah Gordons stuff.

Noah Gordon (Author of The Physician)

Of his Cole Family Trilogy the first book, "The Physician" is probably the best of the lot, although they are all good, worth a read.

here's a blurb
Quote:
**Noah Gordon***8217;s acclaimed trilogy, spanning one thousand years in the lives of one uncommonly gifted family**

In "The Physician", an orphan in eleventh-century London, Robert Cole, becomes a fast-talking swindler. As he matures, his strange gift-an acute sensitivity to impending death-never leaves him, and he yearns to become a healer. Arab "madrassas" are the only authentic medical schools, and he makes his perilous way to Persia. Christians are barred from Muslim schools, but by claiming he is a Jew, he studies under the world***8217;s most renowned physician, Avicenna. Cole***8217;s journey and love for a woman who must struggle against her only rival-medicine-make "The Physician" a riveting modern classic.

In "Shaman", Dr. Robert Judson Cole, nineteenth-century descendent of the first Robert Cole, travels from his ravaged Scottish homeland, through the operating rooms of antebellum Boston, to the cabins of frontier Illinois. In the wilderness he befriends the starving remnants of the Sauk tribe, who have fled their reservation. In the process, he absorbs their culture and learns native remedies that enrich his classical medical education. He marries a remarkable settler woman he had saved from illness. The Cole family is drawn into the bloody vortex of the Civil War, and their determination to survive in the midst of wilderness and violence will stay with the reader long after the final page.

In "Matters of Choice", Roberta Jeanne d***8217;Arc Cole is the latest first-born descendant of Dr. Robert Cole. Favored to be named associate chief of medicine at a Boston hospital, she is married to a surgeon and owns a trophy residence in Cambridge as well as a summer house. But everything melts away. Her gender and her work at an abortion clinic cost her the hospital appointment. Her marriage fails. Crushed, she goes to her farmhouse in western Massachusetts, thinking to sell it, and finds an unexpected life. How she continues to fight for every woman***8217;s right to choose, while acknowledging her own ticking clock and maternal yearning, makes this prize-winning third story of the Cole trilogy relevant and unforgettable.

samUwell
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
96 - 09-11-2018, 09:36
Wait a sec here... are we posting physical books we have just read or are we posting digital books too? I was under the impression that this thread was for physical books. I read a lot but rarely in book form. lol.

The last physical books I read were manuals: The Science and Technology of Traditional and Modern Roofing Systems in hardcover. Every.last.page. ugh! But I read other **** between these manuals. They were perfect bathroom books. lol. In my line of work, they are referred to as the 'Roofing Bible'.

While reading those, I read the physical book: The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse. This was really good. Lots and lots of great info taken from him surviving Argentina's engineered economic collapse in 2000.

In the past year, I went through a phase where I was reading a lot about ancient Christianity - prior to the Catholics taking it over. One of those was was a physical book: Introduction to Gnosticism: Ancient Voices, Christian Worlds

Now digital books... that is a completely different story. Last digital book I read was: The Culture of Critique: An Evolutionary Analysis of Jewish Involvement in Twentieth-Century Intellectual and Political Movements . Really, really good book and should be a must read by everyone that cares about their culture. This book made my blood boil.

On audible, I have been on an ancient European history phase. This has been really fun I might add. I listened to 4 lectures about European history from the Great Courses. From this, I veered off in Germanic/Norse mythology and listened to several books about our ancient and awesome Caucasian mythology. From these books and lectures, I bought and will be reading several more books about Caucasian history, our culture, and traditions.

I have been eyeballing ancient Assyrian history as well. However, I just started the Witcher series - I think I need to read something other than the engineered destruction of Caucasian culture by the Chosenites.

ScooBySnaCk
Tribalwar Staff
Contributor
Old
97 - 09-11-2018, 09:40

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
98 - 09-11-2018, 10:06
Quote:
Originally Posted by samUwell View Post
Wait a sec here... are we posting physical books we have just read or are we posting digital books too? I was under the impression that this thread was for physical books. I read a lot but rarely in book form. lol.
I don't really differentiate now tbh, mine are a mix of both print and ereader.

I am about to take half a dozen boxes of books to the second hand shop, I have hundreds and I know I will never get to read them again and they take up too much room. I've never gotten rid of a book in my life, even carried home all the crappy ones you buy on holiday overseas. I have walls lined with shelves and half a spare room filled with boxes I haven't opened in 15 years. Will be saving all of my treasured childhood ones for my kid though. I have a boxload of my English comic annuals from the late 70's which are pretty cool. Even my original 1978 Star Wars annual, probably worth a ****load now

Audiobooks are not considered reading, otherwise listening to your ipod is playing music.
No doubt they are great to listen to and a good source of information and entertainment but they engage a different part of the brain. It aint reading.

samUwell
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
99 - 09-11-2018, 11:59
Quote:
I don't really differentiate now tbh, mine are a mix of both print and ereader.

I am about to take half a dozen boxes of books to the second hand shop, I have hundreds and I know I will never get to read them again and they take up too much room. I've never gotten rid of a book in my life, even carried home all the crappy ones you buy on holiday overseas. I have walls lined with shelves and half a spare room filled with boxes I haven't opened in 15 years. Will be saving all of my treasured childhood ones for my kid though. I have a boxload of my English comic annuals from the late 70's which are pretty cool. Even my original 1978 Star Wars annual, probably worth a ****load now
I have donated so many books to the local library it's not funny. Many years ago my ex-wife put her foot down on all my books and demanded I get rid of them. lol. So, off the library, I went and have been going until I transitioned to ereaders.

Quote:
Audiobooks are not considered reading, otherwise listening to your ipod is playing music.
No doubt they are great to listen to and a good source of information and entertainment but they engage a different part of the brain. It aint reading.
Agreed - reading is completely different than listening to the book and I too don't count that as reading. I actually prefer to read than listen but due to there not being enough time in the day (actually, I am working way too much), listening has been pretty good for me.

hyung
VeteranXX
Old
100 - 09-11-2018, 13:16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooBySnaCk View Post
how long have you been into buddhism? what are your thoughts on it and its practices?

Page 5 of 7

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Books

Social Website Bullshit