Swiftthistle

How much is this worth? I've seen some ridiculous prices at the SkullCrusher AH. I saw 10 auctions for stakcs w/ 8g initial & 10g buyouts.

Do people actually pay that much? And is it better to auction off the swiftthistle, or convert it to the swiftness potion & sell that? the potions can sell for like 1.5g/stack.

I know, which is why i'm so confused at the prices. I know that a stack goes for at least 1g, or close to it, but seeing it at like 8 or 9 is really throwing me off.

The 1 thing it can be, was that I saw 10 swiftthistle auctions all get bought out sat. night, and yesterday was when I saw the 8g stacks. I'm thinking that maybe someones trying to corner the market, and knows that 50+ rogues need this stuff, and they probably have the 8g to burn.

You think that's bad, try looking for turtle scale. I need that stuff for a leatherworking quest. They can only be found when skinning turtles in dustwallow or tanaris. I checked the AH and they were selling for like 15g for a stack of 10.

I've been farming turtle scales for 3 days now trying to get them myself.

Our server saw a spike in low level herbs about 3 weeks ago. People were power leveling alts/mains in alchemy. Stacks of silverleaf were going for a couple gold easy.

Swiftthistle doesn't have its own spawns, that's probably one of the reasons. You find it with briarthorn and mageroyal. It seems to be random.

-M

the reason it's so expensive is
a) ~35% drop off briarthorn/mageroyal
b) used in swiftness pots and thistle tea, both very useful
c) only drops off lower level herbs, so the high levels usually don't bother to gather it

BlodBath-VuP- said:
the reason it's so expensive is
a) ~35% drop off briarthorn/mageroyal
b) used in swiftness pots and thistle tea, both very useful
c) only drops off lower level herbs, so the high levels usually don't bother to gather it

exactly.

it's very valuable. stack of 5 swiftness pots sells for 1.5g in most AHs, perhaps more in places.

but more fundamentally, thistle tea = essential for rogues. rogues are the most popular class.

i assure you most rogues are NOT running around with herbalism getting briarthorn just for making tea.

it is a hot commodity, and sells at the AH fast.

ok, so is it better to sell swiftthistle by itself, or make it into swiftness potions? I can sell the pots for 1.5g, but it seems like ppl are selling swiftthisle for close to 50s per.

beh, guess i'm gona try selling both, & going w/ the one that sells for the most. It just sucks though, 'cause i was hoping i could buy swiftthistle/briarthorn, make pots, and turn it around for a profit @ the AH. =[

Any rogues who are paying that much for Swiftthistle are stupid. It takes next to no time to get an alt to level 13 so they can farm briarthorne.

I've got more than I know what to do with.

Lukeris said:
Any rogues who are paying that much for Swiftthistle are stupid. It takes next to no time to get an alt to level 13 so they can farm briarthorne.

I've got more than I know what to do with.

But then you need to get herbalism up there, then you need to actually invest the time and effort in farming briarthorn and getting relatively little thistle in return. It's more time than most want to spend.

Big Dick Dudley said:
ok, so is it better to sell swiftthistle by itself, or make it into swiftness potions? I can sell the pots for 1.5g, but it seems like ppl are selling swiftthisle for close to 50s per.

beh, guess i'm gona try selling both, & going w/ the one that sells for the most. It just sucks though, 'cause i was hoping i could buy swiftthistle/briarthorn, make pots, and turn it around for a profit @ the AH. =[

i think it depends... on the market and timing.

swiftness potions sells great, but not consistently in my experience, not if there are several alchemists pouring potions into the AH 24/7.

they go in spurts.

Swiftthistle is always needed by rogues. That tea they make is pretty important give what it does, but yeah not all rogues are herbalists. In fact some have bitched in the WoW forums why it's not more widely available without a profession. Claiming herbalists rip them off on stacks of swiftthistle.

I usually get a fair amount in my usual herb gathering agendas, but I use it to level in other pots (swiftness pot recipe is ridiculously expensive on AH if there is one simply based on what it is and it's value)

Either sell it reasonably to rogues (they really don't have another but themselves) and you can make some decent money, or make swift pots if you can and make more. Nice thing about pots is they always sell well simply because they are consumable. They use the five they bought for 1.5g, that's it. You need to buy more after that.

A lvl 13 alt wouldn't do it I'd think. To maximize the gathering you'd need to hit an area where all the herbs are abundant, and I found the best place for that is Stonetalon Mountains. And usually it's better to be lvl 25 or so, or you'll get raped by mobs because you have to stray far from the road to get mageroyal and briarthorn.

The best herb gatherer would most likely be a lvl 30 druid. As they can gather in travel form, without the risk of getting dazed.
Being alliance i am not sure whether this would apply to shammies in ghost wolf or not.

BlodBath-VuP- said:
But then you need to get herbalism up there, then you need to actually invest the time and effort in farming briarthorn and getting relatively little thistle in return. It's more time than most want to spend.

I have a rogue that I changed my profession to herbalism when I realized I wanted to be independant for swiftthistle and fadeleaf (can't forget about the fadeleaf!) and that leatherworking sucked.

and it's a nice cash maker as well. easy to gather, generally abundant. I find it easier than mining which I did in beta...

Back