So I made a corned beef

Infernus

Contributor
Veteran XV
I followed this recipe but left out the sugar because fuck sugar. It's still in the brine until Saturday afternoon (10 days total). I'm going to pair it with cabbage sauteed with bacon and onions. I'm considering a very small amount of carrots or potatoes but haven't decided yet. I have a feeling that it's going to either be really delicious or horribly disgusting since it's my first attempt. Either way, pics to come of my success or failure.

Highfive!

I've got 5lbs of brisket curing in my cooler right now. 10 days seems a little much in the cure, my recipe calls for 5. Could be because your recipe calls for saltpeter instead of Prague powder.

Anywhooo, mine is coming out of the cure on Saturday and it should be delicious. Boiled potatoes and Brussel sprouts to go with it. Add a little hot mustard too.

Next on my curing schedule is bacon. I've got a whole pork loin to salt down and smoke.

I love the idea of these projects, but how often are you going to eat corned beef right after you finish it? That's a shitload of meat.

Photos, as promised.

20180118_012640274_i_OS.jpg

Preparing the brine.

20180128_232215151_i_OS.jpg

Slow cooked for 4 hours at 200F after a 10-day soak in the brine. I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of fat rendered off during the slow cook. The brisket lost at least 10-15% of it's original mass.

20180129_031210298_i_OS.jpg

Slicing in to check final result and although a bit drier than I would've preferred, still overall satisfied with smell, color and taste.

20180129_022853241_i_OS.jpg

Made a side dish of boiled cabbage, onion and bacon seasoned with teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Overcooked it a bit which made the cabbage more "droopy". I like it less done with some snap and crunch. Flavor was still outstanding. Also made a side of mashed potato (not pictured) seasoned salt, pepper and a teaspoon of red wine vinegar to give it a nice tangy finish.

20180129_034112777_i_OS.jpg

Trying to finish third helping. It all tasted amazing despite some things that I will change next time around.

20180128_203956427_i_OS.jpg

Sliced up a dragon fruit that I refrigerated earlier in the day and sweetened with a honey drizzle for dessert.

The house smelled amazing after all was finished cooking. I could eat this every few months, no problem.

I love the idea of these projects, but how often are you going to eat corned beef right after you finish it? That's a shitload of meat.

Starting with a 4-5lb brisket, the final result is reduced in mass significantly. There were no leftovers. We devoured the entire thing the same night like a school of starving piranha.

Back