My cousin brought me New Mexico Green Chili's!

Morbid

Contributor
Veteran X
I have been wanting these so badly. My cousin lives in some kind of compound dating George R.R. Martin's niece(lol I'm serious) any way, he came out for Christmas and stayed with me and brought like 10 lbs. of the green chilis. Here's the problem. I have no fucking clue what to do with them.

Suggestions?

probably gonna be flamed for this but they're really nothing special. we get them in our stores every season and I'm never impressed. I much prefer poblano chiles.

Green chile cheeseburgers
Green chile pork stew
Green chile in burritos of almost any kind
Green chile enchiladas
Green chile mac and cheese
Green chile mashed potatoes
Green chile in any kinda queso dip
Green chile biscuits and gravy
Green chile in eggs
Green chile alfredo with chicken
Green chile rellenos
Green chile corn bread
etc

You can really add it to almost anything.

Harvest season for green chile is amazing here in Albuquerque. They have the propane roasting sites all around the city, and they smell so good.

Green chile cheeseburgers
Green chile pork stew
Green chile in burritos of almost any kind
Green chile enchiladas
Green chile mac and cheese
Green chile mashed potatoes
Green chile in any kinda queso dip
Green chile biscuits and gravy
Green chile in eggs
Green chile alfredo with chicken
Green chile rellenos
Green chile corn bread
etc

You can really add it to almost anything.

Harvest season for green chile is amazing here in Albuquerque. They have the propane roasting sites all around the city, and they smell so good.

Yeah these are the roasted kind but frozen.

weird since they are out of season

you roast them, then steam in a bag for 10-15 mins, scrape the skin off and use on everything

Peppers stuffed with chilli and rice, then topped with cheese and bacon slices and the outside rubbed with olive oil. Smoke for an hour or so till everything melts but the pepper still stays somewhat solid (not yet mushy).

These make awesome little edible cheese chilli bowls.

I'm confused how you could want these forever and then have no idea what to do with them? Why would you want them if you didn't know what to do with them??

I'm confused how you could want these forever and then have no idea what to do with them? Why would you want them if you didn't know what to do with them??

I know things to do with them but was looking for suggestions. Like maybe something awesome that people dont know anout. Sorry if the thread confused anyone. I am going to make a few sauces and some salsa with them. I have a ton of them so I didn't just want to do a couple of things. I want all kinds of crazy or unique ideas.

And yeah Juz they are frozen.

Are they big enough to grill after being stuffed? Chili Rellenos (probably spelled that wrong) on a grill are delicious. When I lived in AZ there was a guy grilling Chili's all the time down the road from my house and he made the best stuff. He also took Chorizo and mixed it with Chili's and that was some of the best stuff I have ever had.

Cut them up and make a chili with them, they make great chili's.

I know things to do with them but was looking for suggestions. Like maybe something awesome that people dont know anout. Sorry if the thread confused anyone. I am going to make a few sauces and some salsa with them. I have a ton of them so I didn't just want to do a couple of things. I want all kinds of crazy or unique ideas.

And yeah Juz they are frozen.

Hatch Chili Macaroni & Cheese

8 oz pasta
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 white onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 hatch chili peppers (or more if you want it hotter)
1/2 cup milk
1 cup grated cheddar
1 cup grated smoked gouda
1 cup grated gruyere
1 tablespoon brown mustard
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
olive oil

Cook the pasta. (I used fusilli.)

In a medium sized, non-stick skillet, cook the onion in the butter. Add garlic and chilis and cook till garlic just starts to brown. Gradually add in the milk, stirring constantly and reduce slightly. Remove from heat and dump in the pasta, cheese, and mustard. Mix it all together thoroughly then transfer to a 2-quart baking dish. Mix together bread crumbs with just a dash of olive oil and sprinkle over the top. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

Pork Green Chili Recipe

2.5 lbs pork butt
6 cups strong pork stock (or chicken stock)
6 poblano peppers, roasted and peeled
8 hatch chilies, roasted and peeled (depending on heat)
1 16 oz jar verde (tomatillo) salsa
1 yellow onion, med. fine dice
1.5 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp mexican oregano
1 cube chicken bouillon
1 tsp MSG
two pinches sugar
couple of grinds of black pepper
1 can hominy or 2-3 cubed potatoes
Cayenne to taste for heat

Masa for thickening

Cube pork into bite-sized pieces, some smaller (can also use ground pork).
Roast, peel, and de-seed the chili peppers
Take peppers/chilis, chop to fine dice, add half to 2 cups of pork stock, blend till smooth.
Combine all ingredients (except masa) in pot, bring to a simmer, simmer for 2-3 hours. If using potatoes, don't add till last half hour.
Mix masa with water (or cooled cooking liquid) to make slurry, stir back into pot, allow to cook at least ten minutes. Once thickened, be careful that bottom of pot doesn't burn.
Serve plain, with sour cream, cheese, chopped onion, cilantro, corn tortillas or crushed tortilla chips, or however you want. Try poaching eggs in it for breakfast.

you can add them to crab cakes
use to make a sauce for chicken enchiladas
add to queso
infuse a small bottle of vodka, these make great bloody marys
Pork Tenderloin stuffed with hatch, grilled peaches, and goat cheese

Back