How often do you retrain for your job?

JuggerNaught

Contributor
Veteran XX
Like the title says, how often do you retrain, recertify, or just update your skills for your job? If you do it often, how often would you say you spend, whether your company covers it or not, to for your retraining?

I have to recertify some stuff annually, but mostly its for data protection + legal compliance

as far as my actual job goes I don't have 2 recertify shit

I have to recertify some stuff annually, but mostly its for data protection + legal compliance

as far as my actual job goes I don't have 2 recertify shit

Yeah we're constantly doing compliance bullshit, corporate policy, etc. Because apparently between last year when you took the office harassment class, you might have forgot. Lots of stuff that doesn't have anything to do with us, but we still have to get retrained every year

dang we don't have 2 recertify for harassment (lol thx jpn) but we do have to do shit for like bribery and anti-corruption

We do a lot of software piracy, international data laws, stuff like that but in my job nobody on my team ever has the possibility of it even being an issue. We don't deal with anyone OCONUS.

It used to be every year or 2 I'd go off to a bootcamp class to update my CNE, MCSE, CCNP, SSCP, PMP, LMNOPWTFBBQ or whatever. The past decade or so I haven't really cared to disrupt my personal life to fly some where on the company dime for a week or two of classes and testing. Nowadays I just read and toss up a test environment and I poke around in it. My experience and my day-to-day successes are my certs now.

33o63h.jpg

every day is retraining/new learning b/c i am a go getter riding the unstoppable tendie train of professional improvement

My company provides me with MSDN sub and a Pluralsight sub.

I occassionally pop over to Pluralsight to learn whatever it is i need to know.

not often
we're currently moving (read: trying)(read: appearing to try) to agile development models so a lot of that training last few years.

BASA every 2 years.

Is not super relevant to my job but it's required for the whole company to maintain our license.

I work for the government, so I get to train on a LOT of things that are almost completely unrelated to my job all the time.

Every now and then I get to take training that's relevant.

I learn something new all the time. I repair industrial CNC controlled Lasers (CO2 and YAG welding, cutting, marking or drilling, also repair lapping machines at another company.

With guitar and amplifier repair, guitars are getting more complicated with more intricate preamps but most guitars have stayed the same for years.

Amps on the other hand are getting crazy. Sadly some amps now experience something like Xboxes have in the past their software can experience what is known as the "black bar of death" Older tube amps are the same as they have always been just moved to PCB's.

I keep up with new designs on my own and I actually test/audit a lot of techs in the midwest for certification/approval.

Back