Paladin Tanking:

JarekViper

Veteran X
I've been hearing a lot of bitching from pallies wanting to Tank and etc.

I have a 60 Warrior and feel that if Pallies were given the actual ability to tank that not only would our gear get "stolen" more often, but we would probably lose our place as MTs for instances, being with their ability to self heal and whatnot.

I've read some long and drawn out arguements for both sides and I've been curious as to what you TWers think about it.

I know a good lot of you play Horde, so this may be a dumb thread. olo

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-paladin&t=732833&p=1&tmp=1#post732833

^Interesting thread on pally tanking.

Pallies can't tank and I'm unsubscribing if they EVER manage to tank better than a competent warrior. My warrior is presently lvl 53 and I'm getting shafted with not being able to tank, especially when I find warriors higher than me NOT carrying a shield and are 100% fury built.

yeap, i still think a Protection specced paladin should out tank and Arms warrior, and Even a Feral druid. But Blizz seems to enjoy paladins support only roll. Even though they said they never wanted to have a Support only class, cause it aint fun.

and because blizz are tards, i shelfed my Paly and rolled a warrior.

Father Ruckus said:
yeap, i still think a Protection specced paladin should out tank and Arms warrior, and Even a Feral druid. But Blizz seems to enjoy paladins support only roll. Even though they said they never wanted to have a Support only class, cause it aint fun.

and because blizz are tards, i shelfed my Paly and rolled a warrior.
do protection paladins have sunder, revenge, shieldbash, taunt, chalenging shout heroic strike or any kind of abilities that will keep 39 other people from stealing agro?

The day a pally can hold aggro better than me when I'm playing 100% seriously and to the best of my ability is the day I unsubscribe.

I'd sooner cut my own belly and rip out my own innards than let you Light-loving, tome-thumping, rolling-on-my-goddamn-2handers shield-humping healbots steal my hard-earned glory.

I am Warrior. Hear me motherfucking ROAR.

Ztir said:
do protection paladins have sunder, revenge, shieldbash, taunt, chalenging shout heroic strike or any kind of abilities that will keep 39 other people from stealing agro?

Most of the Protection talents actually allow skills to generate more threat than what you normally can. This makes you a better tank.

I dunno about you guys but when I get three or four Revenges in and Sunder a lot it takes a goddamn lot to get the mob off me.

Paladins _CAN_ tank, they are just nowhere near as good as a warrior at it.

Ex. We only have 3 warriors show up for MC? Pallies (or druids if we have any w/ a feral set there) tank Garr adds, or Domo Adds, or Sulf adds. They can hold agro well enough (just not over a long period of time, as they run OOM)

Ive got both a 60 priest and paladin, and i think the whole "Paladins would steel our jobs" bit is bullshit. Both druids and paladins can heal very well BUT they dont consistently replace priests in raids.

Paladins having the ability to hold aggro with reliability by speccing deep into protection would just open up a third option.

As it is i do tank with my paladin. Its untter nonsense on my part but i enjoy the challenge. Ive maintanked everything sub Zul Garub and offtanked in there. It can be fun...ish when your main draw is Iron Grenades:). On the other hand, if there is a class warrior/feral druid who can do it better and wants to do it, i dont fight them for aggro. I heal/buff/auto attack and try to get aggro on loose mobs. Very few paladins want to out tank warriors. I believe paladins should be viable stand ins non-the-less, just as a druid is a viable stand in for a priest.

BTW, Ive no clue why warriors, Jarek in particular, seem to be so insecure about their roles in the ingame.

Ztir said:
i would rather have a bear tank then a paladin tank if i was on alliance
Depends.

If you give pallies a few seconds to get agro, they can hold it pretty well, but they have to use mana, so they can't for a _long_ time.

I think paladins can only tank scholo and barons, I am a 60 protect paly and I've tanked barons and scholo no prob, but without undead, a warrior would do a better job.

Back