A Star Wars Story: Solo

After landing on a planet pursuing a bounty, Boba finds himself wrapped up in ecopolitics and helps a small village fight off a megacorporation intent on deforesting the entire planet.

the rock should be a normal dude in the star wars galaxy that can go toe to toe with jedi and assassins and helps lead his tribe to independence which is sorely lacking in this fucking movie verse

leia impersonated boba.. tiny plot hole

After landing on a planet pursuing a bounty, Boba finds himself wrapped up in ecopolitics and helps a small village fight off a megacorporation intent on deforesting the entire planet.

so, the plot to Avatar? that movie made almost 3 billion dollars nearly 10 years ago, sounds like your idea would be a huge financial success

source

I'm just throwing out random Kathleen Kennedy approved plotlines.

Boba lands on a planet and discovers the Neimoidian remnants of the Trade Federation from Phantom Menace are there, slaughtering the planet's healthy whale population. He wants nothing to do with it until a woman of color convinces him that sometimes what is right is more important than what is profitable.

Why beat around the proverbial Bush <----that one is free.

Boba Fett goes to earth and takes Trump the fuck out

I'm just throwing out random Kathleen Kennedy approved plotlines.

yeh i got that

its just that using that particular plotline as an example kinda kills the narrative of 'this SJW movie wont make any money'

and even the whole idea of solo being a failure because of plotlines like that

:shrug: carry on

That's fair. Perhaps the Industry vs Nature has a little more broad appeal than Boba rescuing test animals from a corporate lab.

will boba refuse to take a specific bounty when he finds out that a fellow alien minority female bounty hunter was offered 30% less for the same bounty?

the rock should be a normal dude in the star wars galaxy that can go toe to toe with jedi and assassins and helps lead his tribe to independence which is sorely lacking in this fucking movie verse

although boba fett is mainly identified as a bounty hunter, his being a mandalorian makes this a potential angle with his character

they used to but their patriarchy crumbled.
whenever boba talks about his lost civilization he's accused of mansplaining

I heard that Solo was a failure because it had a male lead and that's not cool in 2018 is this true?

It's a weird statement to make, as it implies that minorities and women are bigoted enough to not support a film that is otherwise progressive.

Saw Deadpool 2 and Solo yesterday.

Loved DP2, there's really nothing I need to say about it.

Solo isn't a bad movie, but it's an uninspired movie with a shitload of missed opportunities.

The camera work and lighting is shit, but that's just me being a movie snob and the average viewer won't notice it.
Also the music was flat. In every SW movie I can remember music, even short cues, it's usually very well written and epic feeling. I don't remember a single cue in Solo, none of it affected me. I know it was there, I know I heard a few callbacks to ANH, but nothing new or memorable.

The L3-37 robot character, I'm obviously supposed to feel something for this character
Spoiler
I also didn't give a shit that the character was a "she" and the joke
Spoiler
falls flat. This could have been a much better character with better set-up and a personality that had some redeeming quality, but it just comes off as a perpetually angry, oppressively opinionated, self-absorbed asshole.
In Rogue One I actually felt for K-2SO's death because he's in the Alamo, protecting his friends, and as he's taken down he gives as good as he gets. He was also set up as not a warm friendly character, but a character with quirks that make him fun to watch, as well as a total badass that (again) saves his team by catching a fucking grenade and tossing it back at stormtroopers like it just another day at the office. While it has a couple of very darkly funny moments "Not me, I can survive in space." there's also some intentionally awkward moments that make the character endearing to the audience.

Alden Ehrenreich does an adequate Han Solo, based on the results on screen he did the best with what he had to work with. But his dialogue is terribly lacking and that's the fault of the writers, they obviously weren't paying attention to the core character of the film. He's simply got no memorable lines in the whole fucking picture. A few weak callbacks to the original trilogy didn't cut it. If there's a sequel (and I genuinely hope there is) more attention needs to be payed to dialogue, it's not terrible, it's just not worth $250+ million dollars.

Donald Glover as Lando. I have mixed feelings about both his performance and his professionalism. His performance was excellent, but again here's a character that isn't given any memorable lines, SO many missed opportunities here, but ON FILM it looks like he gave it all he had, again with what he had to work with. OFF SET is another story, people are ignoring the inescapable fact that his latest "Childish Gambino" video completely fucked the entire production. It's excessively controversial, not to mention completely unexplained, and has had a demonstrably negative impact on fan's enthusiasm for the movie. I can't imagine ANY director will want to hire him again in the foreseeable future for doing something that most industry watchers agree torpedoed the film a week before release. When you score a role in a multi-billion dollar franchise, SHUT YOUR FUCKING SPEACH HOLE, at least for a few weeks after release so you don't completely FUCK your fellow cast and crew, not to mention the studio that writes your MASSIVE fucking paycheck and risks hundreds of millions of dollars on you.

Speaking of bad press, the publicity surrounding the entire production was an absolute shit-show. Did nobody learn anything from the Fantastic Four reboot? The movie completely sucked, but it should have done MUCH better numbers even as a shitty reboot. It was dogged by it's own bad press for over a year before release, the same has happened to Solo. This has happened to BOTH of the "Star Wars Story" films, Kathleen Kennedy has proven herself a HUGE risk factor to a 4 BILLION dollar investment in Lucasfilm and should be fired for incompetence.

All that being said, Solo isn't a terrible movie, it's actually quite good despite itself. It's a movie that SHOULD be fucking awful, but the actors have just enough charisma to keep things going despite the weak dialogue. The CGI is on-par with the recent SW films, and there's a few surprises near the end that aren't "No Luke, I am your father" jaw dropping, but still entertaining.

It's a good film that is a victim of it's own bad management resulting in bad press, but despite it's shortcomings it's worth watching.

Yeah, it's time to say that this is an uninspired dud of a movie, and a missed opportunity by Disney, who I guess will probably mess up the next Star Wars movie they make also. So I think it's time to not go to see them any more.

At the very least it should inform Disney that the brand is not enough. They aren't guaranteed hits. I suspect that they'll take the wrong lesson at first and double down, they'll just change the release schedule thinking it will solve sequel fatigue.

They have a tendency to persevere and keep cranking out a franchise, even if it is being done by a team that is treating the material bad. The top levels of production are pretty inflexible there, it looks like.

I point out the bad lighting, and some of the set-ups being bad, as well as action and plotting. Most of this could be worked out by just having a sounding board of 5 to 10 people to tell you if the idea is good, or needs to be reworked. They don't seem to do this and give a few individuals incredible levels of control.

The SWJ stuff is hurting them pretty bad too. I think the focus on young women in power is starting to really hurt the brand.

They use clunky technical ideas also. Instead of inserting the super juice into the hyper drive, it would have been funner to watch Solo use the gravity well to boomerang the MF out of its precarious position. Mcguffin stuff kind of sucks in these movies.

I thought the bad guy reveal at the end was kind of bad also, like an advertisement had been inserted at the end of the movie for the next movie. It was pretty obvious that the villain guy (vision actor) was getting his head force-squished by somebody every time he failed a task.

Last edited:
Back