Dear Woodworkers with knowledge of jigs and repeated precision cuts

You just wander around in a fog don'tcha?

You’re kind of retarded aren’t you? What you’re asking about and apparently have no clue about is manufacturing. You think just because you think the price is ridiculous that it must be? How common is the demand for these? What are the required tolerances? Are they patented? If so what will it cost to get the right to make a knockoff? I would think if the demand was there and they were as easy to make as you are implying you’d have more options? But you’re the smart guy and I’m the one in the fog, so what would I know.

It's got "Stewmac" stamped on it. For the amateur luthiers out there who've watched a few youtube videos, that means it must be good.

Seriously though... adjust your saddles and truss rod, plus nut if really necessary. If you need to shim a neck, you're working with garbage. If necks needed shimming, set necks and neck-through construction couldn't exist.

JFC... I am working on a Taylor. with a bolt on neck. It is 25 years old. It has gone though some changes based on humidity. Even though I have re-humidified the guitar the action is to high (see bellying) and if I cut the saddle down to where it needs to be, it will sit inside the bridge too far.

The only solution is to shim the neck. Shimming the neck will raise it slightly and I will be able to split the difference between the shim and cutting the saddle height. I am not some idiot who uses a piece of plastic whatever to shim the neck at some half ass tilted angle... especially not on a Taylor. Full contact is needed... everything sits flush so resonance and vibration is transferred correctly so the shim must also have a taper.

This is way past the threads intent. The point is I bet there is someone who can make the exact same thing Stew Mac makes and they could potentially sell them on Ebay and it would indeed be a good seller. That was all this thread was about you nit picking pricks. It was an idea for people who already have wood working set ups and whatever else needed to make a simple shim.

Stew Mac has awesome tools but they are on the pricey side. No way will you convince me there is 100 dollars worth of anything in those 12 shims they sell as a pack.

PS I already bought 2 packs because I am not going to spend 2 hours making a perfect shim every time I need one.

It was meant as conversation and you guys shoved a stick up your asses. Go fuck yourselves

You know it is fun to troll and I for the most part like everyone here but if this is what a regular conversations is to you fucks... suck my dick

C -ya pricks

Calm down, Cindy - don't get your panties twisted.

The shims you linked look like they're designed for a Fender style neck, not a Taylor? I'm gonna presume the ones you picked up were appropriate, though ;)

If you want to make them, though... easiest thing would be just with a decent, sharp hand plane. Work out your dimensions for whatever angle you want, grab a good set of calipers or (better yet) a dial indicator on a flat surface, and you can work out your slope from there. You're presumably going to be needing it very thin, so holding the piece down and supported is probably going to be your biggest issue.. Either work with a larger piece and then cut it to size afterwards, or grab some double-sided carpet tape and stick it down to something more substantial.. keep that tape as a complete surface underneath it - at that thin, your work piece will deform around any gaps in the thickness of that tape.

As for setting up shop selling them.. yeah you could make them for stupid cheap, so the majority of it basically comes down to the 'surround' costs of handling, managing sales and enquiries and all that crap... :shrug: If you already have all that infrastructure setup for more expensive items like StewMac does, then it's plausible - but as a dedicated 'product', I think it'd be more of a headache than it'd be worth.

You got solid conversation, the problem is you wanted to hear back your own thoughts. KInd of of like all you political junkies.

I know this info is too late, but A friend of mine who repairs guitars for a living says you can usually get Taylor to send you the shims for free if you can convince them that you know what you are doing.

ok.. There are a lot of guys selling these at super cheap on ebay already with CNC they are super easy to shoot out.. problem is the sellers keep getting shut down because taylor has a TM on the design of the shim from my understanding. Stew Mac is paying royalties to them.

I agree with Hamster to make the neck pocket correct the 1st time but for the repair world where you didn't make the pocket not really something you can control. I just don't see all the hype on a square shim that brings the whole pocket up when we have been using folded sandpaper to raise areas of the pocket for years... its hidden by the neck anyways...

BTW folded sandpaper is also what Fender has used for years. They do a pretty good job imo. I could zip the shims off pretty quick on my CNC but I am the Taylor warranty guy for Indiana so I have plenty lol (as mentioned previously)

I couldn't make those shims without a CNC router.

But I'm hardly an expert woodworker. :lol:

Went to home depot, purchased a stack of wooden door shims for 2.96 and posted on ebay for 50$ as guitar neck shims. Now we play the waiting game,,,

Went to home depot, purchased a stack of wooden door shims for 2.96 and posted on ebay for 50$ as guitar neck shims. Now we play the waiting game,,,

But... but... it has to be from the same wood! From the same tree!! Because THE TOOOONNNNEEEE!!!!

:lol:

if you are serious about making them for guitars get the luthiers friend from stew mac and you can use it for bone nuts, saddles, and lots of stuff... I love mine and it makes precise thickness a breeze.

0b0ebbf1088fae72307e3d65d5abf65b--garage-workshop-workshop-ideas.jpg

on the subject of luthiery..

Just stumbled across this guy. Has an awful lot of "old guy yells at cloud" about it, but he's kinda fun. Comes with an M rating, he doesn't really censor himself :)

Back