Thinking of giving the game a real try this time.

Heimdal

Veteran XX
I always try and get into this game, but never really make it far. Thought I'd try and actually make it somewhere this time around, but I had a few questions.

First off, yeah I read the guides. Most of them just covered guidelines, which is fine, but with the game being so in depth I'd like to know a bit more.

Character creation stat priorities seem to be the same in pretty much every guide, but with the new creation system you don't get to change, or even see, what stats you have. At least I didn't see any way. Do you change this at some point in the tutorial, or are the stats now set in stone for each race/bloodline combination?

Are any race/bloodline/class combination better suited for more of a stealth/sniping/recon type deal in the early and/or long run? If so (or even if not) does anyone have any recommendations of a basic skill research plan I could do to achieve that? Also, would stat priorities change with this kind of setup?

Adding on to that, is a stealth/sniping/recon build viable in the long run? Or anything like it. I find myself to be more of a surprise attack long range kind of person for games such as these, so I'd probably enjoy that the most.

I think that pretty much covers my questions. Normally I'd experiment for myself, but since you need to put a lot of time into the game to even get anywhere, I'd like to get it going right the first time around.

That's incredibly fucking gay that it doesn't show your stats while creating a character. You can remap the stats after creating the character though. I just created an Amarr/Khanid character with 8/8/7/8/8. I like balanced stats and would pull 4 points out of charisma into Perception and Intelligence. Some people will put points into Perception and Willpower to help train guns and ship faster but it slows them down on support skills.

There was a third bloodline added for each race that is generally the best to use. It has lower charisma since charisma is more or less worthless. Caldari is Achura, Minmatar is Vherokior, Amarr is Khanid, and Gallente is Jin-Mei. You can train any race's ships at any time in the game, so the race you choose isn't a huge deal. You do get a head start on the training for the race you pick. You get small guns and frigate skills to start off with.

As you learn the game, you can switch your training regiment to the ships you want to fly. Training ships doesn't take too long until you start training for the higher tier ships. By that time, you'll understand the game and can make a decision on where you want to go. I'd say go either Amarr for their stealthy ships and sniping or Caldari for their long range jamming and railguns. If you start Amarr and want to fly Caldari, you just buy the skills and train them. Gallente are generally up close and personal and Minmatar is fast and lots of guns.

You'll want to focus on support skills and the smaller ships first. Focusing on the stealthy ships to begin with will burn you out and fuck up your training. There's a lot of shitty training to go through at the beginning but it all pays off. The guides here on the forums are old but still hold true. A stealthy sniping build is perfectly viable, but you end up training every kind of ship anyway. When you train Frigate 5, you unlock a group of fast ships, and group of damage dealers, and a group of electronic warfare. Each group is a quick train to unlock.

There will always be people in game to help. We're actually all quite helpful unlike most TW'ers. :)

Back