Best places to farm gold?

TseTse said:
i still believe farming SM GY is a good gig, if the server has active lowbie scene.

there are soem mega threads here on all the good spots and options. check them out.

also, dont underestimate the AH & things like transmutes for profit. if you are a hard-core 24/7 farmer then it might make sense to focus on raw mob drop farming at high lvls but imo that isnt the only way to make solid cash.

if you dont do it hard core (tyr's hand, etc), then i think it's sorta inconsistent. whereas i have found that careful analysis of a server's market might show you that there are some things which bring in consistent, amazing cash per hour. and several things you can do daily ALONG WITH traditional farming.

for example, on one server i made fuckloads per day doing transmutes and selling a few items like fadeleaf. i also at one point decided to grind skinning to get my own Black Dragonscales and was shocked at how much cash i made just grinding skinning (and selling the top leather tier stuff on the AH).

imo, sitting in a place like Tyr's hand and just grinding isnt your only option. if you want to do that, fine, but consider combining it with other constant profit ventures.

edit: or just buy gold like other pussies :D

good reply. i've never felt buying gold is the way to go, in fact our whole guild frowns on it. we're broke, but fuck it the stuff we're getting is just fine without it, so it doesn't seem to be a huge deal.

I've really wanted to get into the market - auctioneer just seems to be the most useful addon if you spend the time learning how your server works. staghelm's server has been so inconsistent, I'm not sure it's worth the time right now. That and I never really focus on it that much as it is, the time I do have online is usually dedicated to raiding.

Have any good tips on things to watch for?

Gringo said:
Someone else in my guild said that, and then I made 130g in 1.5 hrs

so

take it for what it's worth. Also, I farm the front mobs, along the top, then back to the W watchtower, all near the front of the area.

I am somewhat geared, so it makes it quite a bit easier. Each fight lasts approximately 14seconds and I do, on average, 360-380dps to each guy, so I plow through the things quite quickly.

i've tried going through there on my rogue and it seems not worth it due to the fact i have to bandage after every 1v1 fight.. =/ any more details on how you go about going through there?

filsinger said:
pretty sure they nurfed the drops/upped the difficulty of the mobs a couple patches ago.

I haven't heard anything of that type since the whole SM loot table fiasco so many patched ago when they nerfed fishing and fucked the SM loot tables to stop farming. I was kind of hoping at this rate Bliz would get wise to the fact that making items worth less usually doesn't stop farmers.

I like the challenge of the game so I won't buy gold. What I have I earn. If that means 3 months till an epic mount big deal. No one really cares what you have.

Santa said:
I like the challenge of the game so I won't buy gold. What I have I earn. If that means 3 months till an epic mount big deal. No one really cares what you have.
getting gold is a challenge?

it's stupid and time consuming, and i'd rather pay some chinese slave to do it for me

spending $20 on a game i already spend $15 per month isn't exactly a big deal

WoW Addict #1: It's so n00b to blow more time into this game just for gold.
WoW Addict #2: It's so n00b to blow more money into this game just for gold.

:popcorn:

The point is... some people are willing to spend yet more real money on ingame shit. Others just arent that willing and dont mind grinding, farming and merely PLAYING the game as intended. For those whom this is more than merely a casual game... it's your decision whether to blow yet more cash or to blow yet more time. :D

There is no strict right/wrong in this matter, imo, and it's not worth having an argument about.

Last edited:
btw, the little mosh'ogg 40ish elites in STV cave arent a bad spot for greens, silver and some mithril/iron/gold. Not sure there are enough to keep at a constant pace but worth exploring, assuming your server has a hot AH for lvl 30-40 gear.

FalseMyrmidon said:
I find it challenging to do it without getting so bored I do something else.

Yeah, that's the only REAL challenge to gold farming -- picking a spot and staying there, constantly grinding, for hours on end until you get enough profitable drops to hearth to IF/Org and cash in. It's a test of patience and very little else.

For some people it's easy, but for others like me and False, our short attention spans really cut our productivity. (We're also Warriors, so we have a lot of other things to farm for compared with Mages, Hunters, and Rogues, so we have less time to straight-up farm for money.)

Farming herbs is a bit less monotonous, though, because you're mostly running around lowbie-er zones like Swamp of Sorrows and Wetlands, so you get to run laps, one-shot the occasional mob that's sitting on top of a node, and occasionally gank the odd farmer, who is usually terrible and/or unprepared and poses no real threat.

Ben Reed said:
Yeah, that's the only REAL challenge to gold farming -- picking a spot and staying there, constantly grinding, for hours on end until you get enough profitable drops to hearth to IF/Org and cash in. It's a test of patience and very little else.

For some people it's easy, but for others like me and False, our short attention spans really cut our productivity. (We're also Warriors, so we have a lot of other things to farm for compared with Mages, Hunters, and Rogues, so we have less time to straight-up farm for money.)

Farming herbs is a bit less monotonous, though, because you're mostly running around lowbie-er zones like Swamp of Sorrows and Wetlands, so you get to run laps, one-shot the occasional mob that's sitting on top of a node, and occasionally gank the odd farmer, who is usually terrible and/or unprepared and poses no real threat.

Well, i have dual monitors. I often have movies/tv playing on the side and just turn sound down in wow and grind/farm or whatever. Frankly, the game itself IS boring... and blaming farming or such for that is to kinda miss the point, no? :)

Right now, i mostly just play my lowbie twink. So, if im farming it's usually with my 60 hunter and just running around OR farming while in in queue with my twink.

Besides... if you have a goal to obtain... be it stuff or raw gold, then obtaining it is the fun. MMORPGs seem to be designed around basically keeping you with endless shit to do, however small and petty.

Probably worth mentioning with 1.10, they're redoing some of the BoE's. One that comes to mind is Wolfrunner Shoes. They're ditching the cloth on these and adding +dmg being the best non-epic mage shoes one can get. You can find them on my AH from 5-10g. Even if I can't sell it for some reason after patch, I can DE and recoup most of my losses.

TseTse said:
Well, i have dual monitors. I often have movies/tv playing on the side and just turn sound down in wow and grind/farm or whatever. Frankly, the game itself IS boring... and blaming farming or such for that is to kinda miss the point, no? :)

Yeah, but you can only ignore the game to such an extent while farming. All too often I Charge an easily killed mob, go AFK to make a sandwich or take a piss, and come back to find a bunch of cheeky Rogues dancing on my corpse.

Besides, I'm not really complaining to the extent that you think I am. I'm not really upset by this. I'm personally not really entertained by it, though, because in terms of obtaining things I want, even doing easy stuff like Molten Core and Zul'Gurub is a lot more fun than running circles around Wetlands farming Swiftthistle. With school and other obligations I don't have a lot of time to play, and when I do play I'd rather do stuff like BGs or run people through instances instead of farming for money. Besides, I got a late start on this shit, and I have a rather big backlog of stuff to do/obtain:

- An epic mount (priority 1, which is slow going because of my big repair bills from raiding and my limited time for money farming)
- Leveling my Warlock to 60 (because my Guild has a rather large Warrior bloat and I'd like to take a Warlock to the endgame anyway)
- More/better resistance gear (mostly NR and FR, of course)
- Grinding Herbalism (so that I can make more money, I made a terrible choice in professions early on [Mining/Blacksmithing] and until recently have only been able to keep my finances floating at around 160-180 gold to my name)
- A respectable epic tanking mainhand (the best I have at present is an Eskhander's Right Claw...until about three days ago I was tanking with a Thrash Blade, of all things)
- A second Libram of Resilience to help round out my FR gear
- Decent DPS gear (I basically PvE AND PvP in nearly full Might, which is good for tanking but horrible for damage/PvP)

TseTse said:

Right now, i mostly just play my lowbie twink. So, if im farming it's usually with my 60 hunter and just running around OR farming while in in queue with my twink.

Besides... if you have a goal to obtain... be it stuff or raw gold, then obtaining it is the fun. MMORPGs seem to be designed around basically keeping you with endless shit to do, however small and petty.
I can't do that because I'll just get ganked :/

That's half of the problem I have with grind farming, every time I actually start to get going some faggot starts pvping me which completely throws me off. I either have to keep fighting him or go to another spot which sucks either way.

Ben Reed said:
- A respectable epic tanking mainhand (the best I have at present is an Eskhander's Right Claw...until about three days ago I was tanking with a Thrash Blade, of all things)

- Decent DPS gear (I basically PvE AND PvP in nearly full Might, which is good for tanking but horrible for damage/PvP)
Hey don't dis Eskhander's as a tanking weapon!

And it's true, you "dps" gear makes mine look good :/

Back