[Leveling] 1 --> 80

Shopper47

Veteran X
Figured we might as well have this thread as well, since a lot of us are making new alts etc to try cata.

Has anyone leveled as Holy for a Pally? Will I enjoy it? (This is mainly driven by my only having the cloth heirlooms). I've never played a holy pally ever, and it seems pretty damn fun. The tree looks to still rely a fair amount on judgements and burst which is what gets me hard in wow.

Are nodes still instant-refreshing (mining)?

How is the leveling itself? As in, do quests give more exp a la BE Starting Zone vs. Vanilla starting zones? What about rewards etc? Xp was saying you get a shit-load of blues and OP items. Just wondering what people are noticing. Are you out-leveling zones?

I guess just really post your experiences and we can share and make out and dock etc.

I started playing again for the first time since vanilla wow and I've gone 1-30 on a lock in 2 or 3 days of casual playing. I'd say it's way faster than it used to be, and with the dungeon finder thing I'm completely decked out in blues :shrug:

Get to level 15, queue for random, quest while you wait. Leave failgroups and continue questing while waiting for cooldown.

as a healer you wont get many quests done queuing for dungeons because they pop too fast. but i dont know why you would do anything but dungeons as Holy because questing would be stupid in that spec.

As soon as you get Exorcism at 20, Holy would be a really good spec for lvling. Not quite sure how it would before then seeing as Exorcism is your main attack. On my full s8 pally, I basically two shot lvl 80 mobs. I will be lvling to 85 as holy.

edit: You might have to wait til you can put pts into Denounce for the mana reduction. Dunno how mana usage would be at those lvls.

Get to level 15, queue for random, quest while you wait. Leave failgroups and continue questing while waiting for cooldown.

This.
You very rarely ever get the same dungeon twice, you literally level right past them by the time you're done with it. The quests at the start of the dungeon have a lot to do with it, make sure you do those. 3-4 dungeon quests at lower levels is a full ding, by the time you get to strath/brd/st, 6-7 do the trick.

At 30, dual spec for 10g or whatever, pick up Ret, and use that for questing.

Once you start getting into brd though, you get two types: groups who are really good and go balls out, clear from entrance through upper levels to Thaurissian in 30 minutes, and the groups that can't handle the trash packs before Bael'Gar. Get all your quests, and stick with the first type once you find one. Then just grind out quests in Winterspring or Un'goro/Silithis until 58, because doing BRD repeatedly sucks ass, especially with the number of idiots that manage to queue their way into it.

Edit: Oh, and avoid Dustwallow Marsh. It is completely unchanged in quest flow for horde, so the quests aren't very well grouped or laid out, the drop rates still suck on some things, and in general, it is just useless bullshit.

Last edited:
yeah the wait time on has always been 2-6 minutes from lvl 15-57 as dps. Just quest while waiting for it to pop and its all good. 58-68 went up to 6-10 and 70+ went up to 10-20 min unfortunately. I lvl'd about four days before the new world hit....so pretty sure it's a even faster now too.

This.
You very rarely ever get the same dungeon twice, you literally level right past them by the time you're done with it. The quests at the start of the dungeon have a lot to do with it, make sure you do those. 3-4 dungeon quests at lower levels is a full ding, by the time you get to strath/brd/st, 6-7 do the trick.

Hahah, I got SFK 6 times in a row :( .... fucking thing is bugged too, no "dungeon complete" so no bag either.

With the updates to leveling, I find it quicker to quest than anything else. I'm literally gaining a level every 20 minutes questing 25-30. It also beats having to deal with pugs.

1-60 is super fast.
61-70 is Outland boring slow-as-shit questing using the Vanilla questing model.
71-80 is faster than before.

How long should I expect it to take to level 1-60... 4 days played?
I'll be playing a shaman and leveling with a warrior (or two).

Any general tips for a group leveling together? I haven't leveled since vanilla wow...
We're leveling as horde.

How long should I expect it to take to level 1-60... 4 days played?
I'll be playing a shaman and leveling with a warrior (or two).

Any general tips for a group leveling together? I haven't leveled since vanilla wow...
We're leveling as horde.

Uhh, 35-40 hours played maybe...

Dungeon quest XP 1-60 is getting nerfed hard Blues said today.

Last edited:
i just did a feral druid from 20-60 and you can easily get 5-10 lvls a day. currently its sitting at 2 days of played time and i have been doing it not even hardcore since the changes and it was still really really fast and right now questing is tons faster leveling than running dungeons ever was imo. i didnt even bother doing any dungeons for the quests they offer in my run there. once i got to outland im gonna slow it down deliberately cause outland is bleh imo :\

Yeah, for exact wording:

We are applying a hotfix today to all level 1-60 dungeon quests for Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms dungeons which will significantly reduce the amount of experience they award.

I haven't done a lvl 1-60 dungeon since the hotfix... anyone know how significant the nerf is? After finishing the dungeon quests, is it even worth repeating the same dungeon anymore?

I think they just mean the quest reward exp? As in, the quest to Kill Magister Doan in SM gave 10k, now it gives... 4k.

That's what I hope :s

I was just saying this morning that the dungeon finder, while I dig it a lot, has made questing dumb. I quest while queued, do a few dungeons, and suddenly I've outlevelled my questing area.

My fried has been leveling a bunch of characters lately, and I think his priest had about 3 days played last night when he hit 75. Leveling is pretty fast now, and some of the new quests are pretty funny.

Theldurin the Lost in particular was great.

Back