Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > World of Warcraft
Reload this Page mage vs rogue for cata
Page 5 of 6
AdreNaLiNe
VeteranXX
Old
81 - 11-29-2010, 09:23
Having always played a melee, Boomkin has been a huge refreshing change. Given that we plan on only running 10 mans currently, and probably multiple groups per week at the start, I'm leveling a rogue again.

The new rotation is a lot more fun than the old one, albeit only adding a rupture ability most of the fight. But boom has been fun due to the variations of lunar/solar. It's not overly complicated, but eeking out the extra dps due to tightening rotations make it pretty interesting. Watching jiv and others play an arcane mage makes me hate the game for it's simplicity of such a powerful class. On the flipside, if I were playing a mage, Fire seems to be the most fun for PvE and frost for PvP. Always wanted a mage too, never got around to it I guess. Maybe I'll roll one before my RAF expires.

Sponsored Links
Shopper47
VeteranX
Old
82 - 11-29-2010, 10:54
I enjoy my mage, but I admit that it is the current ultimate fag class. You can PVE with one button, PVP with one button, it's the Fisher Price class of the month. Fire is the most fun, but requires the most gear and effort to come even close to spamming AB or Ice Lance.

Fool
Whiny BitchX
Contributor
Old
83 - 11-29-2010, 10:54
Mages deserve it after BC

JiVoX
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
84 - 11-29-2010, 11:38
I leveled as frost on my first mage, but I'm leveling as fire the 2nd time around. I just got Living Bomb and it's pretty fun in instances and along with Hot Streak procs/Blast Wave/Scorching while moving, fire just stays interesting. I find it unfortunate that arcane has been changed from "use this ability if AB doesn't stack to 4, use other ability if AB stacks to 4, etc." to spamming Arcane Blast (for the most part). I'm tempted to stay fire at 80, but it seems arcane banality is the way to go if you want to be useful, dps wise, to a raid.

I am hoping that the arcane "rotation" changes at 85.

As for my alt, I'm indecisive between a warrior and paladin tank. I haven't played a warrior since 70, but I really enjoyed my 80 paladin (which can also heal). It's just going to be a toon to help out raids if they're missing a tank.

Shopper47
VeteranX
Old
85 - 11-29-2010, 11:51
I want to make a Pally tank, but I don't know if I want to redo 1-80 once again :s

AdreNaLiNe
VeteranXX
Old
86 - 11-29-2010, 15:02
err, deserve it after BC? I thought WotLK was the makeup for it.

Fool
Whiny BitchX
Contributor
Old
87 - 11-29-2010, 15:03
WotLK only made up about half of the pain of BC.

zeph
VeteranXV
Old
88 - 11-29-2010, 15:18
Mages want their 50 acres.

Fool
Whiny BitchX
Contributor
Old
89 - 11-29-2010, 15:33
I'd settle for Polymorph: Mule

TheGhost
VeteranXV
Old
90 - 11-29-2010, 15:43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool View Post
Mages deserve it after BC
After BC? We had a mage damn close to the top of the charts on fights like brutallus

Not to mention mages have been pretty good throughout WOTLK.

Falhawk
VeteranXX
Old
91 - 11-29-2010, 16:21
so you guys think mage instead of boomkin.

mage:
- great dps
- fun to play
- portals

druid:
- versatile
- good dps
- ugly owl form

9er
VeteranX
Old
92 - 11-29-2010, 16:40
Mage unless there is a realistic possibility that you'll want to have a tank or healer offspec.

Smaqaho
VeteranXV
Old
93 - 11-29-2010, 17:54
Boomkin is boring. I went that route for a few months when my druid hit 80 in May but in the end I'd rather stay resto. In the end I'd rather tank on my paladin or DPS on my priest, though the new paladin tanking "rotation" feels ****ed up right now so I hope things are better at 85. Just seems like far too many GCD's passing by waiting on HotR/CS and building HP for SotR.

AdreNaLiNe
VeteranXX
Old
94 - 11-29-2010, 18:09
It's probably boring to you having played a caster for all these years. It's brand new to me, and frankly, one of the reasons I decided to play again.

Don't know though, still like the rogue more in the end. Just means at some point, I will probably unsub again.

Falhawk
VeteranXX
Old
95 - 11-29-2010, 18:35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaqaho View Post
Boomkin is boring. I went that route for a few months when my druid hit 80 in May but in the end I'd rather stay resto. In the end I'd rather tank on my paladin or DPS on my priest, though the new paladin tanking "rotation" feels ****ed up right now so I hope things are better at 85. Just seems like far too many GCD's passing by waiting on HotR/CS and building HP for SotR.
What was boring about boomkin? Did you feel like you brought a lot to the table for a group/raid?

Santa
VeteranXV
Old
96 - 11-29-2010, 19:53
To be fair boomkin has changed with the new mechanic.

Druid is really 4 specs tho. Tank, melee dps, heal, caster dps. Druid tanking in heroics was the best - they might have changed it. So much absorption/self-heals.

85 Mage food was better than any bought - until i stopped playing beta. Traveling is a big thing in Cata - especially archaeology.

Smaqaho
VeteranXV
Old
97 - 11-29-2010, 20:52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falhawk View Post
What was boring about boomkin? Did you feel like you brought a lot to the table for a group/raid?
I felt like I brought plenty, sure. I only raided on my boomkin in PUG/GDKP raids and more often than not I had to MT/OT and played another toon so I didn't play a druid as anything more than a seldom-played (but geared) alt.

I brought a hit debuff with faerie fire (no longer there), a knockback that was great for gimmick fights such as Saurfang or Lich King in Typhoon, and competitive DPS. My DPS wasn't equal to what my priest can put out, but it was the difference of playing a priest for nearly 6 years and playing a druid for a few months.

When healing on my druid I felt OP as ****. There's so much random AOE damage in ICC that I always had something to do, and knowing who in the raids is susceptible to ****ing up I always had some people to focus on to break the monotony of rejuv/wildgrowth spamming. Even 5mans are fun, but I tend to queue as a healer in balance spec and just hot up the tank and spotheal with Nourish as needed and DPS with starfall/hurricane/dots when not healing.

I was feral (cat) to level 50 or so, then bearspec to 70 choosing RDF over questing. Went balance & resto at 70 and saw how OP aoe grinding was to level and never went feral again.

A mage wouldn't be bad, but I like having every toon I play able to fill multiple roles in a 5man or raid environment. I don't think I could enjoy playing something like a hunter/mage/lock/rogue for an extended period of time even if they all have multiple specs that have a lot of variation to keep things fresh.

TheGhost
VeteranXV
Old
98 - 11-29-2010, 23:54
I'm leveling my druid right now, he's feral, and dual spec'd into kitty dps and bear tank, just so I can queue as either. The tanking is ****ty right now, I think swipe is broken (its hitting for alot less than the tooltip says), but other than that, its not too bad.

edit- I already have a mage, and the mage is still fairly fun, but one button dps is boring as ****, I can't even stand to login to him anymore, unless its to xmute gems or make flasks

xpdnc
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
99 - 11-30-2010, 07:43
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhost View Post
I'm leveling my druid right now, he's feral, and dual spec'd into kitty dps and bear tank, just so I can queue as either. The tanking is ****ty right now, I think swipe is broken (its hitting for alot less than the tooltip says), but other than that, its not too bad.

edit- I already have a mage, and the mage is still fairly fun, but one button dps is boring as ****, I can't even stand to login to him anymore, unless its to xmute gems or make flasks
It's bugged to only hit for the damage at whatever level you got it, scaled with AP, but the threat is based on the old damage numbers.

Mael
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
100 - 11-30-2010, 15:00
Mages will definitely be a LOT different in Cata. The Arcane One Button I Win will change in the 5 man dungeons. Mana is going to be a really big deal. I've got this weird thought that Arcane Mages will be situational for burst, and Fire will be the raiding spec. Arcane mages are blasting to the top of the charts right now because fights are so short and running OOM is not common. In the longer fights in Cata, Mages wont' be able to spam AB till 40, evocate and then keep spamming until it's dead. We'll be way OOM way too early.

I'm looking forward to Fire because it will be a lot to pay attention to and I think it will really show who the good mages are and who are just playing the cookie cutter method.

I doubt frost will be viable in PVE but who knows?

Page 5 of 6

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > World of Warcraft
Reload this Page mage vs rogue for cata

Social Website Bullshit