[got haggis] Star wars battlefront 2 micro transactions backfire by Mogs - Page 3 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [got haggis] Star wars battlefront 2 micro transactions backfire
Page 3 of 11
HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
41 - 11-19-2017, 14:43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerdoggie View Post
If you live in the land down under you're already there.

Even if you don't give a **** about Star Bores anymore or never bought an EA game in your life you have to understand that this **** is spreading like a virus. Your Red Dead Redemption game is being designed from the ground up around microtransactions.
i wouldnt know directly... only thru these contraversies.

no games by ea/activision have ever been good and those who think otherwise never knew what good games are... or just lowered their standards while ignoring some amazing indie games, some valve and steam stuff, and a few others.

Sponsored Links
Kerosene31
VeteranXV
Old
42 - 11-19-2017, 14:45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagy View Post
40$ is a far reach from the 2k required to unlock everything

this isn't a microtransaction system for cosmetic items, it's a pay to win systen
It isn't nearly as bad as places like Polygon and Gamestop would have you believe.

Many people are already running around with Luke and Vader. It is still a grind to unlock everything, but it isn't a huge competitive thing. It is still a casual couch shooter and the loot boxes don't really impact that nearly as much.

It is really a "pay to unlock everything" system. Everything's still tied to a leveling grind so you couldn't just whip out a credit card (they pulled that completely anyway).

Odio
VeteranXV
Old
43 - 11-19-2017, 14:53
40 hour grind vs buying ****

they obviously bought it.

Dangerdoggie
VeteranXV
Old
44 - 11-19-2017, 14:58
They didn't pull it completely away, it's just turned it off TEMPORARILY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7TmXpCJI8s

no it doesn't guarantee you'll win, it's pay to be OP.

Kerosene31
VeteranXV
Old
45 - 11-19-2017, 15:12
EA is one of the ****tiest companies out there, I think it is a scientific fact based on their employees.

Still the heroes aren't OP. They are super watered down from the first game. Heroes die easily now and there's not much difference between the ones you start with and the ones you unlock.

The pay to win comes in with star cards and such which give you small bonuses.

This is what you get when the entitlement generation hits a crappy company.

Zomnivore
Veteran4
Old
46 - 11-19-2017, 15:18
sure bud

40 hour grinds for things vrs paying for them is just whiner generation

get your geriatric ass back in the home and have a sponge bath you old piece of ****

Atreides
VeteranXV
Old
47 - 11-19-2017, 15:31
Quote:
Originally Posted by hastie View Post
I think the crux of the issue is $60 AAA games. Development on those games can be so expensive, but everyone is so against raising the base price of games to $80 or $100. Games have been $60 for over a decade...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qq6HcKj59Q

Kerosene31
VeteranXV
Old
48 - 11-19-2017, 15:41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomnivore View Post
sure bud

40 hour grinds for things vrs paying for them is just whiner generation

get your geriatric ass back in the home and have a sponge bath you old piece of ****
That number was actually not accurate, even before they changed the prices. Just some guy on reddit who ignored challenges. EA messed up by not being transparent and explaining why that was wrong.

EA sucks, but any gamer with a little self control would never need to buy these things.

Odio
VeteranXV
Old
49 - 11-19-2017, 15:56
Yea, who needs to buy a card that lets your **** lock on 200% faster when you can just play for 300 hours.

Amadeus
VeteranXX
Old
50 - 11-19-2017, 16:00
Quote:
Originally Posted by hastie View Post
I think the crux of the issue is $60 AAA games. Development on those games can be so expensive, but everyone is so against raising the base price of games to $80 or $100. Games have been $60 for over a decade...
I'm glad you brought this up, because it gives me an excuse to post more Jim ****ing Sterling, son.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHSso2vufPM

(you're wrong btw)

Odio
VeteranXV
Old
51 - 11-19-2017, 16:01
Not only has the cost of making video games not really changed over the past decade+, but they've also been selling you less game for your money.

Osiris
VeteranXV
Old
52 - 11-19-2017, 16:01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerosene31 View Post
That number was actually not accurate, even before they changed the prices. Just some guy on reddit who ignored challenges. EA messed up by not being transparent and explaining why that was wrong.

EA sucks, but any gamer with a little self control would never need to buy these things.
It still should not be an option to buy an advantage in a multiplayer game, period.

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
53 - 11-19-2017, 17:43
Yeah how about that Angry Birds 2 eh

P2Win is failsauce

Zanthious
Tribalwar Admin
Old
54 - 11-19-2017, 18:03
its cheaper now to make games then it was before. You dont even need hard copies.

Pagy
VeteranXX
Old
55 - 11-19-2017, 19:26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerosene31 View Post
EA is one of the ****tiest companies out there, I think it is a scientific fact based on their employees.

Still the heroes aren't OP. They are super watered down from the first game. Heroes die easily now and there's not much difference between the ones you start with and the ones you unlock.

The pay to win comes in with star cards and such which give you small bonuses.

This is what you get when the entitlement generation hits a crappy company.
its a horrible pay to win model that has garnered more negative attention than ever before...including the Disney ceo but you're right it's just whining kids

[MD5]Hash
VeteranXV
Old
56 - 11-19-2017, 21:37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniggs View Post
are those pop toys gambling? hearthstone? physical tcgs that have been around forever? yep
Yeah, but the ability to enjoy the content of a game, the ability to play that game, shouldn't be stonewalled behind a paywall, especially if you're charging $59 for a AAA title.

It's like paying for a hotel room, but then having to pay extra to use the shower, or extra to sleep in the bed, or extra to use the toilet.

Atreides
VeteranXV
Old
57 - 11-19-2017, 23:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdB_ooSljJc

another good video from Tarmack regarding the ESRB's claim that loot crates are analogous to TCGs and thus, not gabling.

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
58 - 11-20-2017, 01:01
Quote:
Originally Posted by [MD5]Hash View Post
Yeah, but the ability to enjoy the content of a game, the ability to play that game, shouldn't be stonewalled behind a paywall, especially if you're charging $59 for a AAA title.

It's like paying for a hotel room, but then having to pay extra to use the shower, or extra to sleep in the bed, or extra to use the toilet.
this - free games are fine to have ludicrous grinds if you don't buy gear but a AAA title at pretty much full price should be no more to pay except cosmetic items & some DLC

Last edited by ArakAtak; 11-21-2017 at 05:41..
[MoM] Gort
VeteranXX
Old
59 - 11-20-2017, 11:42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
I dont mind lootcrates/microtransactions as long as they are cosmetic and dont affect the game in other ways

Atreides
VeteranXV
Old
60 - 11-20-2017, 13:04
I personally don't like loot crates - cosmetic or otherwise. They are predatory and exist to take more money out of the player's pockets. Each company handles it a little different and I'll go over what's good and bad about each game's take on it.
  • Valve/Bluehole: Free crates. Keys are purchased with money
  • Riot: Free Keys and Crates. Both can be purchased with money (via buying 'store credits') separate. Both can be purchased in bulk for a discount.
  • Blizzard: free and purchasable crates. No keys. Bulk purchase discount.
  • GGG: Purchasable with money (via buying 'store credits'). No keys.

So just on a loot box system, you have a few ways to entice players to spend. Sometimes the game will dispense half of what is needed to claim the loot with the other half behind a paywall. In Valve's case; you're opening items that have market value and can be sold. With TF2; certain crates were worth opening from a monetary gain point of view or 'gamble'. Other companies coax you into buying more than you wanted due to an offering of 'value' and/or they require you to purchase in-game currency in order to buy crates/boxes (at an exchange rate that leaves you with remainder currency).

That aside, there's some other things these companies do in regards to crate-exclusiveness. Riot for example has a crafting currency called "Gemstones". This currency is required to craft exclusive skins. They are obtained rarely from crates - so rare that if you don't buy crates you will simply never obtain those skins... and Riot has been releasing more skins that consume this crafting item (they probably realized the players who would pay hundreds of dollars for crates would stop buying once they got the 1 or 2 skins that could be crafted this way).

You also have time-exclusivity. When OW first had the Olympic games crates; those skins could not be crafted. You could only get it from the box. I remember watching a streamer open boxes until he got his Genji skin and resorted to buying $500 worth of crates to get it. Riot also has event-themed sales on special crates which have a higher chance to have the gemstones I mentioned - a 'buy now or miss the opportunity for this expensive/rare item'.

GGG does something unique with PoE. They have loot boxes that are very low in cost. The boxes have insane value if you buy a few and don't care what you get from them. The crates cost 30 'coins' and regularly award cosmetics that cost 120 coins, 420 coins, 80 coins, etc. The downside is duplicates can't be rolled into a crafting material or sold on a market. What IS interesting is that the crates are time-exclusive and when the crates are retired, the contents are purchasable individually on the store at their regular store value. So while there IS incentive to purchase the crates, there's also the incentive to wait if you don't want to gamble and don't want to miss out on the items all together.

What I do like about GGG and Riot is that their cosmetic store lists (for the most part) every cosmetic in the game at a flat fee. You can simply buy anything you want while knowing what it will cost you, which I have no problem with. It's also interesting that Blizzard did this as well with Heroes of the Storm until they realized how much ****ing money they were making with OW's loot boxes and decided to overhaul HotS and roll out with the same lootbox horse****.

I get that there are people who don't purchase these things and they don't give a **** and to them it's not a big deal. Objectively, these crates make these companies a **** ton of cash - so it IS taking advantage of people regardless. It's pretty scummy in general and I wouldn't feel bad if they were forced to take that **** out; and if they persist, where does it end? Do they infiltrate SP gameplay like we've seen with Shadow of War? Is P2W like SW:BF2 OK? I just find the entire enterprise to be anti-consumer and should be thrown out.

Page 3 of 11

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [got haggis] Star wars battlefront 2 micro transactions backfire

Social Website Bullshit