[nanobots!] This is actually interesting! [orby] by Zelgaddiss - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [nanobots!] This is actually interesting! [orby]
Page 1 of 2
Zelgaddiss
VeteranX
Old
1 - 06-17-2005, 12:11
Quote:
Originally Posted by slashdot
"University of Michigan scientists have created the nanotechnology equivalent of a Trojan horse to smuggle a powerful chemotherapeutic drug inside tumor cells - increasing the drug's cancer-killing activity and reducing its toxic side effects." From the article: "The drug delivery vehicle used by U-M scientists is a manmade polymer molecule called a dendrimer. Less than five nanometers in diameter, these dendrimers are small enough to slip through tiny openings in cell membranes. One nanometer equals one-billionth of a meter, which means it would take 100,000 nanometers lined up side-by-side to equal the diameter of a human hair."
http://www.med.umich.edu/opm/newspag...oparticles.htm
Link to article

I mean to make this kind of breakthrough, medical technology is becoming great!

Sponsored Links
Ascoe
VeteranXV
Old
2 - 06-17-2005, 12:13
That's not nanobots, that's chemistry

Sin_Chase
VeteranX
Old
3 - 06-17-2005, 12:14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascoe
That's not nanobots, that's chemistry
Nanotechnology.

Zelgaddiss
VeteranX
Old
4 - 06-17-2005, 12:15
precursor to nanobots

Reggs
VeteranXX
Old
5 - 06-17-2005, 12:21
I wonder if christians will find some way to call this evil and keep us in the dark ages even longer.

Zelgaddiss
VeteranX
Old
6 - 06-17-2005, 12:24
stfu reggs, link to said anti medical things they have done

Patton
VeteranXV
Old
7 - 06-17-2005, 12:31
Neat.

(Stem Cell research)

T-Refried-455
VeteranXX
Old
8 - 06-17-2005, 12:34
if by dark ages you mean 'prevent human cloning'

idiot

Durak
VeteranXV
Old
9 - 06-17-2005, 13:02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelgaddiss
stfu reggs, link to said anti medical things they have done
uh, stem cell research?

Yoda
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
10 - 06-17-2005, 13:07
hmmmmm, I'm working in a nano lab right now at Wash U in st. louis. We are going into our first stage of animal testing next week with using our nano particles (which were originally designed for imaging purposes) to try to instead of simply labling the target tissue, will deliver lipid drugs/steroids. (Mainly for MD cases, its a very effective treatment already, but since the entire body is saturated with the drugs, it has bad side effects, but if we can target the correct tissue and only deliver the drugs there, it should work really well.)

its pretty cool stuff

Chimera
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
11 - 06-17-2005, 13:12
Saying Christians are opposed to medicine because some oppose stem cell research is stupid. They are opposed because they believe the fetus they get the cells from is alive and has a soul. Using nanotechnology to cure cancer is in no way the same thing. Cloning is along the same lines at stem cells. Breating life into something is different then keeping somebody alive.

Durak
VeteranXV
Old
12 - 06-17-2005, 13:14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera
Saying Christians are opposed to medicine because some oppose stem cell research is stupid. They are opposed because they believe the fetus they get the cells from is alive and has a soul. Using nanotechnology to cure cancer is in no way the same thing. Cloning is along the same lines at stem cells. Breating life into something is different then keeping somebody alive.

Chimera
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
13 - 06-17-2005, 13:17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durak
I don't know why you're laughing. There are scientist that believe cloning is unethical. Yes the fetus that stem cells come from are already dead, but what is to stop people from raising them for the soul purpose of harvesting them.

Reggs
VeteranXX
Old
14 - 06-17-2005, 13:26
Quote:

I was half serious, I know christians are ok with nano. It just amused me to make a joke(wich I didnt expect anyone to take seriously) since christians are activly trying to hold back medical technology.

Animo
VeteranXX
Old
15 - 06-17-2005, 13:26
Hes laughing because he has no intelligent response.

Diotoir
VeteranX
Old
16 - 06-17-2005, 13:38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggs
I wonder if christians will find some way to call this evil and keep us in the dark ages even longer.
You don't need Christians for this purpose. As long as shows such as Dateline and 20/20 exist we can rest assured that any true progress will be met with millions trapped in a state of fear.

Arbo
VeteranX
Old
17 - 06-17-2005, 13:43
neat

(Just a characteristically uncontributional response.)

Durak
VeteranXV
Old
18 - 06-17-2005, 13:52
Quote:
I don't know why you're laughing. There are scientist that believe cloning is unethical. Yes the fetus that stem cells come from are already dead, but what is to stop people from raising them for the soul purpose of harvesting them.
Uh, because there would be no reason to "harvest" embryos when we have plenty of good embryos sitting in freezers who for the most part will be discarded at some point, rather than used in IVF. You people have the most retarded concerns. What's to stop people from murdering someone else? Nothing, other than the law. What's to stop people from raising embryos for pure harvesting purposes? Nothing, other than the law and availability of viable frozen embryos waiting to be disacrded.

Zelgaddiss
VeteranX
Old
19 - 06-17-2005, 13:59
Still the diffrence between Stem cell research and this is astounding.
I'm all for stem cell research, but i can see their point of view on it, it (was) is a human life, depending on when you believe when the 'soul' (if there is such a thing) enters the body. I agree that they are holding back medical research on stem cells, but its only on that type of front. I dont think they would have a problem with non-human life ways to advance the medical feild.

Chimera
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
20 - 06-17-2005, 14:04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durak
Uh, because there would be no reason to "harvest" embryos when we have plenty of good embryos sitting in freezers who for the most part will be discarded at some point, rather than used in IVF. You people have the most retarded concerns. What's to stop people from murdering someone else? Nothing, other than the law. What's to stop people from raising embryos for pure harvesting purposes? Nothing, other than the law and availability of viable frozen embryos waiting to be disacrded.
You sir are amazing. Yes I am a Christain. However, I'm not opposed to stem cell research. The difference between you and me is that I can see why one side believes what they believe without throwing terms like "All of you" and "You people" around. You on the other hand are just as ignorant as fundamitalist Christains who believe that everyword in the Bible is the word of God. You can't seem to understand that everything is a shade of gray and most of the time, somebody does have a valid reason in their beliefs.

Page 1 of 2

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [nanobots!] This is actually interesting! [orby]

Social Website Bullshit