181 - 11-07-2008, 01:40
tw tricked me into buying fallout3

Sponsored Links
JodoFett
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
182 - 11-07-2008, 01:41
I think the game should have atleast done a KOTOR sort of combat instead of the FPS/turn-based hybrid thing they came up with - but I've found the game interesting so far and it doesn't make me hate the game.

Kurayami
Banned
Old
183 - 11-07-2008, 01:42
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodoFett View Post
Sure? I don't really see how that would cause me to dislike the old ones. If anything it could potentially get me to dislike F3 more.
You're aware that they aren't FPS games, yes?

And that they're of much slower pace with tactical, turn-based combat (that doesn't happen every three seconds)?

It seems to me that anybody that is a big fan of F3 would not be a big fan of the other two because they are vastly different.

Bethesda was aiming for the Quake kiddie demographic.

JoMo
VeteranXV
Immigrant
Old
184 - 11-07-2008, 01:43
It's the console generation folks.

JodoFett
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
185 - 11-07-2008, 01:44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurayami View Post
You're aware that they aren't FPS games, yes?

And that they're of much slower pace with tactical, turn-based combat (that doesn't happen every three seconds)?

It seems to me that anybody that is a big fan of F3 would not be a big fan of the other two because they are vastly different.

I don't mind turn based combat at all - actually I would have preferred if F3 was more like KOTOR's combat or something. The VATS system is kind of cool but when you can shoot in realtime it doesn't really make sense to have both available.

Kurayami
Banned
Old
186 - 11-07-2008, 01:44
Quote:
I don't mind turn based combat at all - actually I would have preferred if F3 was more like KOTOR's combat or something. The VATS system is kind of cool but when you can shoot in realtime it doesn't really make sense to have both available.
Explain that to Killjoy.

CarpeIppon
Veteran++
Old
187 - 11-07-2008, 01:45
Quote:
Ok, now you stuck your head up your ass. Pressing a button to give yourself auto-aim bullet time is NOTHING like quake.

Lokismischief
VeteranX
Old
188 - 11-07-2008, 01:46
I love the first two Fallout games, and I thoroughly enjoy Fallout 3.

JodoFett
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
189 - 11-07-2008, 01:47
I am liking Fallout3 - but I can't help but keep thinking about how a lot of the stuff doesn't make sense if it's been 200 years since the war. There are even a few characters that talk about things "before the bombs dropped" and it is like - ummm wtf dude?

krustyy
VeteranXX
Old
190 - 11-07-2008, 01:47
Quote:
I've actually found so far that long VATS is only useful when you're running for your life and shooting at the same time. If I'm sneaking and have time to aim, my aim is MUCH better going at it manually.

Kurayami
Banned
Old
191 - 11-07-2008, 01:48
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeIppon View Post
Ok, now you stuck your head up your ass. Pressing a button to give yourself auto-aim bullet time is NOTHING like quake.
...no, but creating a game in which you're running through brown environments shooting everything that moves every six seconds certainly is.

You're acting like adding "auto aim bullet time" somehow adds depth.

"BOY MAX PAYNE IS A VERY DEEP GAME WITH EXTREMELY STRATEGIC COMBAT.
IT DEFINITELY HAS MORE IN COMMON WITH A TBS THAN IT DOES WITH A MINDLESS SHOOTING GAME LIKE QUAKE."
-CarpeIppon

Kurayami
Banned
Old
192 - 11-07-2008, 01:51
Quote:
I am liking Fallout3 - but I can't help but keep thinking about how a lot of the stuff doesn't make sense if it's been 200 years since the war. There are even a few characters that talk about things "before the bombs dropped" and it is like - ummm wtf dude?
Ghouls can live for hundreds of years.

But yes, Bethesda really did **** up a lot of the story elements.

JodoFett
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
193 - 11-07-2008, 01:52
Well, that helps quite a bit actually.

Daedalus
VeteranXV
Old
194 - 11-07-2008, 22:35
Ok so I just beat this game. Some spoilers below I'm not using tags.

I thought I was maybe, 1/5 or 1/4 of the way through when the ****ing epilogue started running. That was a campaign? The main quest had like, five real missions in it. Seriously what the **** was that? I spent a bunch of time doing sidequests and whatnot, got to level 20 (which is a bull**** cap by the way), then decided to finish the main quest. Little did I know I only had about an hour and a half left in it. Luckily I didn't decide to go through the main quest first, it would have been an 8 hour long RPG.

And what the ****? You can't continue exploring after you finished? I probably visited 1/10 of the locations, if that. I never even got to try recruiting anyone. I don't want to start the game from scratch just to do all the things I want during the end game.

The story was building itself up to be epic and presented itself as something complex and deep, but instead it's: find dad, help dad, help other scientists, blow up the president, follow giant robot, push button. The end. And those last three things I said all happen within a span of about 30 minutes. What a waste.

This game sucked, I'm glad it's over.

Last edited by Daedalus; 11-07-2008 at 22:38..
jerry
VeteranXX
Old
195 - 11-07-2008, 22:36
gears of war 2

KnightMare
VeteranX
Old
196 - 11-07-2008, 22:53
Quote:
What's really sad is that Troika (AKA most of the big players from Black Isle) already made a modern, first person RPG: Vampire Bloodlines. I highly doubt that they would have taken Fallout in this direction in any scenario, but VtMB, while mechanically similar to F3, is so superior that it isn't even funny and really makes you wonder what could have been had Bethesda had the foresight to bring some of the actual Fallout developers onto the team.

VtMB was a great game and is a perfect example of how an RPG with guns should be handled.
F3 is a mediocre FPS and serves as an example of how not to make a sequel.
wtf vtmb is a good game? I remember playing the demo at one point dont remember anything worth a damn.

Rilke
VeteranX
Old
197 - 11-08-2008, 00:45
This game is much better out of the box than either Oblivion or Stalker. Can't wait till the egg heads start making some good mods.

Kurayami
Banned
Old
198 - 11-08-2008, 01:07
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightMare View Post
wtf vtmb is a good game? I remember playing the demo at one point dont remember anything worth a damn.
It's one of the best games of the past five years.
Hands down.
It beats the **** out of F3 in every way possible and shows how this sort of game should be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilke View Post
This game is much better out of the box than either Oblivion or Stalker.

Quote:
Can't wait till the egg heads start making some good mods.
You'll be waiting for quite a while since Bethesda doesn't seem to have any interest whatsoever in supporting the mod community because--surprise--console users won't benefit and they can sell **** themselves on that retarded Xbox online thing.

SuicideSnowman
VeteranXV
Old
199 - 11-08-2008, 01:13
There are already mods for it.

Rilke
VeteranX
Old
200 - 11-08-2008, 01:20
Quote:

I loved both stalker and oblivion. I have clear sky in the queue, installed, patched, ready to go.

But both of those games required an enormous amount of work for me to enjoy them. Stalker required thorough tweaking, which when completed the game looked fantastic. Oblivion...after Morrowind seemed borked but could be revived by mods, and was. But again, that took work.

Fallout 3 should be plug and play for you, unless you're Fool. With settings maxed it looks good and plays well on my decent machine. Seems to have upside through modding and tweaking but does not require those things in order to be stable or look good.

So that's what I mean when I say it's better out of the box than either stalker or oblivion.

Page 10 of 11

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Fallout 3 = Oblivion with guns

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
kurayamiwar.com