[Accident] Laurie Almost Died Sept 28th

best of luck on the recovery. i've been through a lot of PT--unfortunately, sometimes the only way to get motion back is to push it until it hurts. i fucking hate opoids, i'd rather have the pain.

Funny you and others should say this, because it almost happened. I think I'm ready to share with everyone here.

Laurie is fine now, but she almost died going to see Ashley early in the morning. Our 14 year old lab did not make it, she was buried at the scene.

All lanes back open after semi crash on Floridas Turnpike in Martin County - wptv.com
There are a few videos in that story. Click under the picture for each video. Laurie rented a Nissan Sentra and was on her way to see Ashley early in the morning. It's hard to describe what happened. Laurie was passing a truck, was going back into her lane and there was another truck slowing pulling off the road. She hit the back of the trailer and it cut the car in half. It was a low boy trailer low to the ground, used to haul heavy equipment.

Her right elbow was broken, she now has two plates in it. 3 surgeries, we spent 9 days in the hospital in Fort Pierce.
MM 130 Northbound on the Turnpike. This is where it happened. There is a cross behind this sign that says Destiny. It's were I-76 meets the turnpike. You can reach the site from an access road, jump the fence, and walk to the sign.
http://www.quatraine3.com/tw2017/CarAccident0928171mp028.jpg
A fixation device on her right elbow. Her left wrist was also fractured.
http://www.quatraine3.com/tw2017/CarAccident0928171mp031.jpg
The car in the wrecker lot. I found her destroyed phone but used the sim card in her new iPhone8. I found her wallet. The people at the tow yard do not get the valuables out of a crashed car. They leave it and make you get everything out.
http://www.quatraine3.com/tw2017/CarAccident0928171mp032.jpg
The airbag saved her life.
http://www.quatraine3.com/tw2017/CarAccident0928171mp034.jpg
Me collecting all the stuff out of the car. Most of the stuff was in the trunk. There was blood in the car, it was like a bomb went off.
http://www.quatraine3.com/tw2017/CarAccident0928171mp036.jpg
The car was cut in two.
http://www.quatraine3.com/tw2017/CarAccident0928171mp039.jpg
She ended up at Lawnwood Regional Medical Center in Fort Pierce. The overhead image of the hospital makes a cross.
http://www.quatraine3.com/tw2017/CarAccident0928171mp048.jpg

She was pulled from the wreckage by a Fedex Truck driver. He put out a fire and broke the window. No one else was helping, but they were taking video. He's pissed because the truck drive she hit didn't speak English and didn't help. We went to dinner with him in Ocala last week.

I'll have more pictures of the truck driver and the dinner. This would have been on the news as a good Samaritan story but since it happened early in the morning, the news crews didn't go to the site or follow up with us. It was just your normal accident you hear about every day on the news, yet it was Laurie and she almost died.

Hindsite is 20/20. Should have, would have, could have, didn't. So many factors as to why this happened, why that truck was in that spot the moment she was making a pass. Laurie has done this trip many times going to see Ashley. The fixation device is off, so are the bandages. She's doing PT now but I have to help her with everything.

Progressive car insurance covered 10k liability. Medical insurance is covering the rest. We rented the car using our Citi Mastercard and they'll cover the rental car as a benefit. But there will still be a ton of bills. That's Laurie's new job, dealing with the insurance mess.

So when you're traveling northbound on the Florida Tunrpike, and you reach MM130 just before the I-76 overpass, look to your right and you'll see a cross 15 steps north of that sign that says Destiny.

Ugh, losing the dog is terrible. I'm glad Laurie is ok, hoping for the best.

sorry about ur dog, bro

but honest question, were you at least a little bit disappointed that Laurie made it in the back of your mind?

Props to the fedex driver, also getting upset at the guy that caused it
The Fedex Driver was pissed at the other driver. He wants to introduce new legislation to force drivers to know English and to know how to call 911. When the trucker was putting out the fire, he assumed someone would call 911. They didn't, it was 21 minutes before someone called. The people had their cell phones out taking video. They air lifted Laurie to the hospital. The Fedex driver blocked the turnpike so no one could get through. They shut it down for a few hours, it was the major story on the news.

The hospital is 2 hours from my home. I had to drive back and forth many times. Not only that, Ashley came down and lived in the hospital for 4 days. She already had her bag packed from a previous trip, and when I told her what happened she cried but got in her car and went to the crash site trying to get the dog (was already buried by that time). One time we stayed in a hotel, but for 3 nights Ashley was there. I also stayed in the room a few times. It's hell being in a hospital. Lots of noise, people coming in and out of the room every hour, and we shared the room with another person. Since Laurie was in there for 9 days, she had 3 different neighbors on the other side of the curtain.

Last edited:
The mental picture of a bunch of people filming someone burning to death in a car crash is about what I expect from humanity these days.

lucky that fedex driver was there.

Mean green juice will clear that right up

I brought her MGJ in the hospital. That's one reason I was going home and coming back. The hospital food is the wrong diet, even though it looks healthy. Meat, fatty sides, with a veggie to make it seem healthy. For a cafeteria that serves the entire hospital, they do a good job. Can order just about anything (Fish, Chicken, Steak), many sides, soup, tea. They bring the food on a tray like room service, when finished put it outside on a cart.

But what Laurie really needed was the MGJ. For being in there 9 days, we didn't get sick. I was constantly washing my hands in the bathroom. When we got home other people brought us juice and smoothies.

No, what cleared that right up was 3 surgeries on her arm. There are scars, she's putting vitamin E on them. The good news is everything appears to be working. A rod when into her elbow. The doctor was worried there was nerve damage, but she's able to move her hand. Her arm is stuck in a slightly bent position right now, she can't straighten it. I pull down on it for 20 seconds, that's one of the exercises.

Last edited:
Yeah, the dog is the worst part, even though the end was near. Laurie cries every day. There's no way to remove the memories from the house because the memories are always coming up. I'll be doing something in the computer room, everything is fine, then Laurie will start crying blaming herself for what happened.

My first girlfriends dad died almost the same way. Came over a hill in the interstate, the semi he was following moved to the right, and he didn't see another semi stopped in the left lane. It didn't have the low hanging bumper like the new trailers do, and he was nearly decapitated. Things got weird after that, and we went our separate ways. :(

that's a pretty horrific accident, I feel really bad for the dog.

didn't she not get a job because she had to take care of the job?

I hope she appreciates you a bit more now.

Bitch.

The dog dying is probably a blessing. She gets to go to Valhalla now doing battle with monster trucks and other evils to dog kind.

I hope she appreciates you a bit more now.
Nope. Her bully programming is still there. She goes off over the smallest things. Then when I call her on it, she becomes the victim.

Here an example video of what she is. This video is of a girl who hasn't had her coffee yet, but it's basically what I deal with all the time. It's only 01:24
When She Hasnt Had Her Coffee Yet - YouTube

I'm basically taking care of her hand and foot, making meals, cleaning the dishes, filling water cups, helping her to get dressed. It's like every minute there's a new command.

Nope. Her bully programming is still there. She goes off over the smallest things. Then when I call her on it, she becomes the victim.

Here an example video of what she is. This video is of a girl who hasn't had her coffee yet, but it's basically what I deal with all the time. It's only 01:24
When She Hasnt Had Her Coffee Yet - YouTube

I'm basically taking care of her hand and foot, making meals, cleaning the dishes, filling water cups, helping her to get dressed. It's like every minute there's a new command.

but isn't the reason she doesn't have a job because of the dog?

definitely you'll have to help her out until she's better but then...

Back