Hook Ammo Poll by Thrax Panda - Page 5 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page Hook Ammo Poll
Page 5 of 9
View Poll Results: Are you for or against ammo for the Grappling Hook?
I am IN the beta and FOR ammo. 65 14.71%
I am IN the beta and AGAINST ammo. 68 15.38%
I am NOT IN the beta and FOR ammo. 138 31.22%
I am NOT IN the beta and AGAINST ammo. 149 33.71%
Me bad english? Unpossible! 22 4.98%
Voters: 442. You may not vote on this poll

Plague
VeteranX
Old
81 - 08-09-2004, 05:51
After thinking about it, I recognized why people see unlimited use as being a problem, and how simply giving it ammo or just damaging the line would still be a poor way to correct the issue, since it won't resolve other ways people will be able to abuse it.

Giving it ammo is easily resolved since it doesn't address the problems with continuous use of one shot, or the actual runs from base to base that lead straight to inventory stations, or that don't require the totality of the set amount of ammo. Players will just make "grappler stops" to replenish themselves and will be off to abuse the system all over again. If you do give it ammo, you'll have to add in other variables to enforce it, which negates the purpose altogether.

So, I keep my vote of "no ammo," however...

You may want to consider something new, like an "energy capacitor" for the weapon, one that doesn't use jet energy for fuel, so it behaves like a pack's source of energy. You'd start off with, say, 100 units of energy in your grappler. Firing off a shot depletes 25 units, which means after four repeated shots (with no swinging involved), you have no "ammo." Remaining on an active line would drain 10 units per second, for an example. So, realistically, just swinging repeatedly on line after line won't be possible after about three shots. Swinging on a single line would afford you with only about eight seconds of use. It would recharge at something like 10 units a second when not in use, so you'd have to use your jets actively.

All those variables can be changed, of course. I'm not in beta, so I don't know how the game feels firsthand, so the variables I made up are based on conjecture. It may need more "ammo" than I gave it. The idea is to give it a limiting factor without limiting its usefulness in the field, which is the concept behind the grappler.

Sponsored Links
Decepti|<on
VeteranX
Old
82 - 08-09-2004, 05:51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeu5
DISCLAIMER: stuff
if the grappler in the t1 t:v mod is anywhere near the same physics as T:V itself then its horribly overpowered even if it had 20 ammo

Amadeus
VeteranXX
Old
83 - 08-09-2004, 05:53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decepti|<on
if the grappler in the t1 t:v mod is anywhere near the same physics as T:V itself then its horribly overpowered even if it had 20 ammo
None of the servers run my code atm.

And Plague, that's just about the same that I suggested. :p

Decepti|<on
VeteranX
Old
84 - 08-09-2004, 05:59
20 ammo is such a ****load of ammo anyways, how often do you run out of 15 disk ammo as it is?

Amadeus
VeteranXX
Old
85 - 08-09-2004, 06:01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decepti|<on
20 ammo is such a ****load of ammo anyways, how often do you run out of disk ammo?
What's even worse is that it doesn't really stop anyone from swinging around as much as they want, as long as they hit an invo every now and then.

It's like whoring the CG next to an inv that resets its heat level.

Plague
VeteranX
Old
86 - 08-09-2004, 06:08
Am., I got thrown to your edit a second ago and noticed that, until the actual solution with line strength anyway.

I was under the impression that each shot used a new rope/end though, since I never recall anything about the grappler retracting. Also, since it can snap, I assumed that it just regenerated.

raggy
VeteranXV
Old
87 - 08-09-2004, 07:04
Definetly have ammo. Personally, I would have gone with 10 grapple ammo instead of 20.

liquidh2o
VeteranXX
Old
88 - 08-09-2004, 07:25
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyhelothar
You forget that the capper will have LD covering him aswell...Not to mention the deployed turrets will chew you up way before you get near the capper. And, if by some stroke of bad luck a person is manning the base turrets, good luck getting your worthless pod into action.

Thats assuming the person is grapple hanging of course. 9 times out of 10 they are swinging around in a huge circle around their base (cavern) waiting for LD/Turrets to kill you. The only way I see to stop that cheapness is by setting ammo to the grappler like they did. If they cappers ammo runs low then he HAS to make a pitstop at an INV, which leaves him vulnerable to 100's of ways to die.

you'll have more than one person going on offense to retreive a flag. One shot to a deployable turret can disable it, and between a fighter pod/bomber and a heavy, manable turrets can be taken out pretty quick.

And if a capper is grappling around, I'd say that makes him even more vulnerable as his LD will have to keep up with him, not to mention if the capper is grappling, chances are he won't be shooting back at you.

My main point isn't regarding the ammo of the grappler, it's regarding the balancing of the game before it goes mainstream and how it'll affect things once people start playing more competitively.

p.s. you can grapple you way into most inv. stations, which(w/ the exception of emerald) are indoor.

Vangual
Unregistered
Old
89 - 08-09-2004, 07:52
After watching Jodos movies and counting his usage numbers I've come to the conclusion that 20 ammo is more than enough for my personal taste. IMHO I just hope that the devs don't do much other behaviour changes on the grappler.

Reaper
VeteranX
Old
90 - 08-09-2004, 08:39
the FOR wins

close though...

Amadeus
VeteranXX
Old
91 - 08-09-2004, 08:46
Another idea that just popped into my mind...

If the use of the grappler must be limited in the long run (although I hope there won't be need for that), why not limit the length of the rope to be used instead of the number of shots? From my experience it's easier to mess up at shorter lengths, and it also takes you closer to the hook, which will be a likely target if it can be shot.

AvA_Majestic
VeteranX
Old
92 - 08-09-2004, 08:47
heh dead even split

i think it sounds like the grappler really does need some balancing, but in my opinion adding ammo isn't it.

This isn't something i view as a terrible game ruining chance, just not something I like the idea of.

Making the cable only able to be broken a limited number of times, or not grapple dirt, or something, would be my preferred option

Nash
Nazi Admin++
Contributor
Old
93 - 08-09-2004, 09:09
pro Ammo / not in beta.
(Tho i think adding Ammo is the wrong way to go)

Phantom
VeteranX
Old
94 - 08-09-2004, 09:53
Wow, talk about dividing a community

Got Haggis?
VeteranXX
Old
95 - 08-09-2004, 09:54
interesting...its pretty much 50/50 split so far

Zombie
VeteranXX
Old
96 - 08-09-2004, 10:10
Server side option?

Calder
VeteranXX
Old
97 - 08-09-2004, 10:23
Aha, I wonder how they'll decide with votes this close.

Fatman
VeteranXX
Old
98 - 08-09-2004, 10:31
Having ammo seems a bit odd to me.. I would be more for having the hook break if it gets hit by the splash damage of a disk..

That should throw the person off enough that they can be stopped without requiring ammo.

Although i may change my mind when i actually get to use it.

Slurp
VeteranXV
Old
99 - 08-09-2004, 10:46
For those voting for ammo: Please keep in mind that vehicle turtling and base turtling have been removed. Also, flag throwing is a joke, and completely worhtless. Plus, turrets are being toned down in the next patch already.

This is one of the few semi-effective evasion tactics left. I say "semi-effective", because I dont believe enough effort has been done to try and counter it.

Got Haggis?
VeteranXX
Old
100 - 08-09-2004, 10:54
what if instead of ammo, if your hook got disconnected by someone shooting it...or say if it were possible to shoot the line and it broke....that the weapon wouldn't work....you would have to visit an invy/pinvy to 'reload' it ?

Page 5 of 9

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page Hook Ammo Poll

Social Website Bullshit