Fusion power? YOU BET!

i figure if people have got this far in the thread, they will read the massive walls of text such a topic deserves

much like my space thread

though i do consider spoiling them to keep the thread easy to skim

i dunno though

Laser fusion is not viable to feed electricity into the grid; impossible even in theory by today's standards from what i've heard. As no one denies, The NIF can only produce single events with a large interval in between, and imo they have different priorities than power plant research.

The Germans are also working on an experimental reactor to be completed in 2015 with a burn duration of up to 30 minutes. It shares similarities with a classic toroidal Tokamak, but avoids present difficulties with magnetic plasma confinement using specially shaped magnets. Pretty impressive from an engineering standpoint.

Wendelstein 7-X (Wiki)

Some footage (german)

true, the one in america is only demonstrating the power of the laser beam
but they are building one now somewheres else (england?) to demonstrate rapid fire pulsing, which leads to permanent operation

but like i said, i'm new to laser fusion. I'm more about polywell

navy has a publishing embargo on research data, so i dont know if a FOIA request will work

Last edited:
fngr, tokamak probably wont work, and if it does, it is too costly and complicated to really mainstream
they use so much exotic material, that shit would be nuts

so, that's probably a dead end

other fusion reactors offer cheaper, sometimes less complicated solutions

we shall see

thats why we run experiments that increase the power ratio

which is what is happening at the moment

no no goshin. We shouldn't try to improve anything.
God has made everything perfect as is. We are at fault, we should do what the good book says, commit genocide and stem the over population.

rayn, is there an easy way i can put parts of this topic and my space thread into the front page news at all?

Back