What gauge strings do you play?

old_skul

UVALAN
Veteran XX
Acoustic: "Medium", which is the heaviest Elixirs they offer. Superior tone.

Electric: 10-52, since I tune down a lot. Anything lighter feels like crap. I used to use D'Addario XLs, but recently switched to DR. I don't know if I can tell a difference or not - but they seem to have a slightly "richer" tone on both clean and dirty sounds.

WHAT ABOUT YOU

i've used d'addario .10s on my electrics since i've started playing, 2 days ago i gave elixir 10's a try because i'm sick of changing strings once a week (they rust rly fast for me). they're ok, all i do is practice so i don't mind the shitty tone that much, they're VERY slick, took me a few hours to get used to them.

for my acoustics i use d'addario medium gauge (.12s i think?) - will probably give elixir light's a try soon

Last edited:
.009 - .042 on main ibby S series
.010 - .046 on D-tuned el-cheapo-budget-economy RG
.011's on accoustic. its old. and anything heavier does not help the bulging top and wild angled neck.

For whatever reason, I don't have the body chemistry that eats up strings so fast. I can leave a set of strings on a guitar for a year and they still play fine. That said, I still like to change strings before a show for that extra zing.

I just love the feel and sound of a new set of strings. They have so much more harmonic content.

For whatever reason, I don't have the body chemistry that eats up strings so fast. I can leave a set of strings on a guitar for a year and they still play fine. That said, I still like to change strings before a show for that extra zing.

I just love the feel and sound of a new set of strings. They have so much more harmonic content.

See?
Even though your hands aren't eating the strings rusty, they lose brightness very quickly.

Used to use these:
31VGBB8N38L._SL500_AA250_.jpg

Now I use these:
Ernie-ball-strings1.jpg

i've been testing of a bunch of different strings. went to gc and bought 5-6 different sets. i still have a set of DR tite & brights to test, but by far i've enjoyed these the most:

_c324734_image_0.jpg

Last edited:
Back