Skill questions...

Vulcan

Contributor
This is mostly about Dodge, Parry, and Running (I am making a thief now).

I have heard some people say that dodge is useless unless trained over 120%. The same thing has been said of parry. My question is: are these claims correct? I want to be a hardcore dagger fighter with this theif, so should I still consider taking from other theivish abilities for these 2?

About running: what is a good percentage to raise yourself to in order to notice a considerable change? I want to utilize this skill... but want to have max effectiveness for least amount of points.

And then again, should I drop running and go with dodge and parry?

Add your questions about other skills if you want.

you need to max dodge for it to be useful.

btw, "hardcore dagger fighter" made me lol...

as a thief, if you want to be fast, again you are going to have to take pretty high, since you will get no speed chant... above 100% at least... and pick up some windlords... (though even w/ windlords and high running, there plenty of characters that will leave you in the dust)... one reason windlords are so coveted... travel time is slow...

parry is a must as well... with a theif though, if you are careful w/ points, you should be able to get a decent number of trains into all three of those...

Last edited:
Something I've always been confused about regarding Parry and Dodge... why do we need both?

Odds are you are never gonna be in a situation where you are attacked without a weapon in hand, so Parry seems universally useful. So, why did they also put in Dodge? What are the differences in terms of game mechanics, anyway? Does Dodge come into play if Parry fails? Vice Versa? WTF?

no, dodge isnt a skill that specifically kicks in when parry doesnt fails(now, that DOES happen, though neither is specifically designed to pick up the slack of they other), or vice versa (some classes get dodge but no parry, others parry but not dodge, fyi)...

each skill grants a chance (higher the skill, higher the % chance) of preventing an attack from making contact...

now, with a high enough dodge, and parry, theres a much better chance that if one doesnt work, they other will... though theres no failsafe....

Hmmm. Well I dunno. This one guy has his Template of Theif without any Steal/Peak skills (Defining skills of a thief ... hello?) but he has parry and dodge at around 140% each.

Another Question:

If I don't take Lightning Reflexes at startup, can I just get an Excellent Dex (+10 max dex rune) in game and then later a Godly Dex rune?

AK Do those same type non-starting runes stack?

Also, if you use points to apply a rune and then take the run off, do you get those points back?

Whoa, that template makes no sense, then. Heheh! Funny stuff.

Er, about the runes though. I myself still haven't run into any great attribute runes, but I thought the runes would overwrite lesser ones IF they weren't the starting runes. Like, say you find a +5% STR early on, and go ahead and apply it. If you later find & apply yourself a +30% STR it would eliminate the +5 and take it's slot. I know for sure though, that once applied you can't un-apply a rune, like, take it out and put it back in your inventory.

If you took a +5-whatever starting rune, I thought it stacks with runes found in game because the starter runes have specific 'reasons' behind them [ie., blood runes, origin runes, etc]

Mani, you're up there in levels, what's the deal?

Last edited:
yes, starting runes are not overwritted (except for the +3 to max att ones)...

and yes, you can "upgrade" runes, as it were, but its not always such a good thing...

see runes come at a cost, called the "creation cost" that uses up some of your ability points... then you have to use more ability points to fill the rune... the cost points are never returned, even if you upgrade/overwrite the rune... and you only get 190 ability points to add (aside from creation), which isnt much...

if you keep applying larger and larger and larger runes after creation, youll end up at a disadvantage, cause you will have far less points for your characters abilities...

also, dont count on a +40 dex rune... a couple of patches ago they godly rune drops were adjusted and now they are VERY rare... +40s of any kind are VERY hard to come by... and dex runes of any kind are all ready hard to get (tons, and tons, and tons of theives and assassins in the game)...

OIC...

Well I got the game today so I am psyched... gotta come over to SP I guess when I am r3.

How effective is lucky if you never put points into dodge?

Should I get these ruins: knife-fighter, raised in theives guild, precise, and lucky

or these: Lightning reflexes, knife-fighter, raised in thieves guild

or even: LR and TbmT

this works too... might get: lightning reflexes, taught by master thief, and knife-fighter.

Last edited:
for an elf?

i wouldnt take TBMT for an elf

i also would not take precise or lucky, as they dont seem worth it to me... those points could be put towards dex for nearly the same affect (high level atr/def are inthe 1000-1200 range, for base, that means that precise/lucky only offer you +50 to +60 atr/def... just not worth it imo...

my aelfborne blackmask scout has both dagger runes, as well as LR and TBMT (but aelfborns have higher con, so they can manage).

now, like ive said before, the theif profession is rampant, so they are everywhere... the reason for leaving out peak and steal, is to make a sort of melee-based assassin (plenty of these theives are out there too)... saving the points allow you put up dodge and parry higher... the idea is "why steal, when you can just backstab them, and then have the ability to finish them off, if the BS doesnt kill them?"

of course, those kinds of theives have lots of trouble later on, cause they make LOTs of enemies earlier on ;o (and even with high parry/dodge, its unlikey they could take a decent assassin of a similar level, toe to toe)...

This guy is Irekei.

Elf sucks for rogue imo.

Hmmm... well I dunno, being able to steal shit off a big oafy mino barb seems super apealing to me.

Mabye I should start up my Centaur Warrior though...

*gets huffy ina big Mino barb sorta way* :rawr:

Heheh, seriously Vulcan, you're not alone.. or, you picked the worst day to try and play. According to the Ubi forums the patch they released is fucked up. Super lag, game is unplayable. And there's no word from 'official' sources.. ah! Shades of Tribes 2 anyone?

Read up here and come join us on Death server. TW peeps are all over, but main guilds [when the time comes for you] seem to be Silent Tribe [if you MUST], Shining Path, Sowers of Discord [yeah baby!] and your soon-to-be thieve's guild, Shadow Thieves. About to make an elf Rogue Bard for Shadow Thieves myself, mebbe if the lag ain't so bad when I get home we can group?

Vulcan1 said:
This guy is Irekei.

Elf sucks for rogue imo.

Hmmm... well I dunno, being able to steal shit off a big oafy mino barb seems super apealing to me.

Mabye I should start up my Centaur Warrior though...

elves suck for rogues?

:rolleyes:

you must be talking out of your ass...

and theres bad lag tonight due to the patch, its not usually this bad.

Last edited:
yeah for my rogues. I like the nice cons of the aelf and irekei. elves have like 60.

no bien.

I wanna continue my dagger thief I started today. Only lvl 2... what is a good way to level quickly on newb island. I have made groups but the experience from dire ants and shit is moot.

Also, the account was bought from another guy. He only had a level 5+6 chars... is there a way to bank all their stuff on newb island so that my theif can have access to it?

edit: anyone know where death is based (west coast, east coast, etc.)

Vulcan1 said:
yeah for my rogues. I like the nice cons of the aelf and irekei. elves have like 60.

no bien.

I wanna continue my dagger thief I started today. Only lvl 2... what is a good way to level quickly on newb island. I have made groups but the experience from dire ants and shit is moot.

Also, the account was bought from another guy. He only had a level 5+6 chars... is there a way to bank all their stuff on newb island so that my theif can have access to it?

edit: anyone know where death is based (west coast, east coast, etc.)

for your rogues? youve got one and hes only level 2...

it helps if you know what you are talking about...

elves have a base max con of 70m, not 60.

my evlish bladeweaver has a max con of 90, same as irekei, and he still has higer base max dex.

no good? please...

I read at least a novel's worth of shit on this game before I got it. That is through guides, forums, and people.

So if I only have a level 2, doesn't mean I am incompetent.

wow

ive obviously read nothing about the game, and have no level of information that competes with yours.

seriously, if you think elves makes the worst rogues, you are flat wrong.

Last edited:
Maniacal said:
wow

ive obviously read nothing about the game, and have no level of information that competes with yours.

seriously, if you think elves makes the worst rogues, you are flat wrong.

Didn't imply that you were stupid either.

:/

Fine. Elves rock at rogues. I just prefer Irekei and Aelfborn.

I think the creation cost for stat runes is refunded. That is what I keep hearing in city and guild chat.. I've never applied one, so I can't tell you for sure. But that is the accepted wisdom.

Back