Unable to verify account information, what the hell?

Ben Reed

Veteran X
About 2 days ago I started getting all kinds of weird errors while trying to get into WoW related to authentication and I want to explore all possible problems that could have occurred.

First time I tried to log in, it said it was unable to verify my version, so I downloaded the latest version of Repair.exe and ran it as far as I could before the damn thing hung halfway through and I had to restart my computer via the power button.

Around the time this issue came up, I started getting periodic messages about corrupt files on my hard drive and weird errors in various programs, mostly related to filenames and crap (I think). Programs affected included Firefox, Winamp, and WoW fatal exception errors.

I managed to log in succesfully once after running Repair.exe, even though the thing had hung, but a couple hours later the same error started occurring again. At this point I went to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ because my long-outdated and unregistered version of Norton AntiVirus had been making noises about aspects of the system being compromised. I did a full scan of my HD, removed a bunch of mildly invasive cookies and 1 virus.

I tried just a few minutes ago to log into WoW and I get a new error message at the login screen talking about how my account info was unable to be verified. I haven't gotten any new messages about file corruption in the past few hours, but I'm not sure that problem's been dealt with, either.

Anyone have any ideas what these symptoms might indicate? I don't think I've contracted anything through WoW, as I've never shared my account info with anybody and I haven't downloaded any shifty addons.

I get this every once and a while. I usually just copy another version of WoW.exe into the directory and that fixes it. I have no idea why it does that because it's not like I run hacks or anything.

Have you tried reinstalling WoW completely?

Also, as the tech folks recommend, copy your WTF/WDB/Interface folders, delete the origionals and start WoW. It really does clear up quite a few problems that I've specifically had (Unknown Entity, ??? for Spell icons, etc..)

If all that fails, do a spyware/virus scan. If nothing is found and the problem still persists, I say format ;) Nothing better than a fresh install of Winblows

Back