Texas teen gets probation for killing 4 in DUI, claims his parents were too rich.

also, I'd like to jump on the 'I hate psychologists wagon'.

I have a PHD sister-in-law that always runs her mouth about her pseudo science. When we were getting married they told us that we were not allowed to invite my wife's grandmother to our wedding, because my brother-in-law just recently 'experienced repressed sexual abuse memories'.

I had to research to see if there was any credit to repressed memories. Leading Harvard pysch says no, it's probably just a realistic dream that seems real.

Now we have huge rift in family bc grandma is a 'sex offender'.

God I hate that bitch. and I'm the bad guy for pointing out repressed memories are bogus. Fucking grandmother went to their wedding even...

We had a very similar case at my firm of a white female killing a white male in similar circumstances. She got 5 do 2 and is still in prison. The only difference was she was 24 and not 16 years old -- I guarantee that was a bigger deal to the judge than "affluenza," and, if the attorney argued anything, it was don't send a young boy to adult prison.

You also know if this kid is half as shitty as he sounds, he will fuck up one time on a 10 year probation sentence and get at least 2 if not more years revoked.

Last point: good thing this kid's parents are rich...they will be paying a shit ton in the civil suit.

We had a very similar case at my firm of a white female killing a white male in similar circumstances. She got 5 do 2 and is still in prison. The only difference was she was 24 and not 16 years old -- I guarantee that was a bigger deal to the judge than "affluenza," and, if the attorney argued anything, it was don't send a young boy to adult prison.
Exactly the point I was about to make. What happened was a horrible tragedy, but it was a 16 year-old kid. I'd be curious to know whether or not there would be a similar outrage if he'd got the maximum. ("BUT HE'S ONLY A CHILD!!!")

We all know that when we put the bottle to our lips we will lose some part of our judgment, and we should all realize that if we decide to take that drink we should be responsible for anything that happens afterwards.

His judgement in deciding to take the drink that would cause him to lose his senses was a clear one and he was aware of the drug's ability to impair. Hey, that's why he decided to drink, so he could enjoy the dizzying effects. He decided to take the risk, crashed and burned, and he should serve a hefty sentence in prison. He killed 4 people and threw many more lives into a state of grief and disarray. I don't see it as an accident.
Teenagers are perpetually judgement-impared. Add alcohol to that and you get a mix of functional retardation and perceived invincibility. Not a good combination.

I'm not in full agreement with the judge's sentence, but I don't think the kid deserves jail time for being a drunken idiot. However, I do feel that the judge missed an opportunity to dispense some real justice though.

Real justice would be tending to the graves of the victims he killed. Forever. Real justice would be spending X hours per week/month assisting the friend that he crippled and brain-damaged for the rest of that friend's life.

That would have a far more profound impact than a few years in prison, even a federal "fuck-you-up-the-ass" one.

ITT America doesn't differentiate between psychologists and psychiatrists properly...

Psychologists in the UK are researchers, not sit-on-a-couch-and-lets-evaluate-your-mental-state-ists.

It's always confused me how this happens, I think in the US the psychologist is used more by people who don't have proper qualifications...

I'm mostly defending this because I am one, but the state of the profession in the US is genuinely abhorrent.

one of the "injured" is now worse off then Steven Hawkins

"Two of the seven teens who were riding in Couch's truck were also critically injured. One of them, Sergio Molina, who had been riding in the bed of the truck, was paralyzed. After emerging from a coma, he can reportedly only communicate through eye-blinking."

Hopefully his family gets raped of all their money in civil courts... That'll be a true punishment.

I learned personal responsibility from my parents. I also learned that I'm responsible for my actions regardless. No one forced the alcohol down his throat, and I'm pretty sure no one forced him to steal it. Being young and stupid drunk is no reason he shouldn't be punished.

Also agree, that the civil suit, karma, and screwing up on probation will do him in. He'll be bored, even if it is a country club house. He won't appreciate any of it. He'll want to party and do what he sees on TV.

It shows how there are cycles with rich people's kids screwing up, and poor people who make it big. This kid basically screwed his inheritance, because it's going to be sued away. So his life is screwed because his parents didn't warn him about all this stuff, and it looks like he wasn't paying attention in school when they showed the drunk driving videos. Common sense stuff, but he missed it.

They keep saying "Don't Drive Drunk" but what they really need to do is say "Stay Home and drink alone if you really want to get fuck whacked." And that's exactly what I do. By the time I'm drunk, I listen to music and go to bed.

It's interesting how rich people can have fuck up kids, because they don't tell them about the pit falls of life.

Last edited:
Back