Hot Sauce Thread

for those of you who make your own hot sauces - how long will they safely keep in the fridge? i enjoy hot sauce, but a 5 oz bottle will last me months
i've read elsewhere that two weeks in the fridge should be the max, and also the concerns about botulism

for those of you who make your own hot sauces - how long will they safely keep in the fridge? i enjoy hot sauce, but a 5 oz bottle will last me months
i've read elsewhere that two weeks in the fridge should be the max, and also the concerns about botulism

depends on the base. Vinegar lasts the longest.

other bases:
mustard
fruit (mango is the bestest)
pure chili

I can them in pint and half pint jars, they are shelf stable like that for a year at room temp, I only put opened jars of hot sauce in my frig for ~2-3 weeks till its gone.

I usually do a few quarts per batch. This year I'm gonna start labeling batches by number/date because some batches were easily 2-3X hotter than others as the growing season progressed.

I usually do a few quarts per batch. This year I'm gonna start labeling batches by number/date because some batches were easily 2-3X hotter than others as the growing season progressed.
totally

I have one that has 16 habaneros in it, after 2 weeks that fucker is crazy hot.

tried my first batch the other day and used this recipe with a few mods: Belizean Style Habanero Sauce - Hot Sauce Recipe - Genius Kitchen

cut the water from 2 cups to 1 cup based on comments, and as a fruit added some grilled pineapple.
turned out pretty good, i'm not a crazy hot pepper person but it has a nice sweet taste up front, then the heat washes over.
put some in the fridge and canned some to give to friends

94029353cb7e91d3f3c1ee397e19a25bae10301047329fe97b9e077eb9da8bc95fb549f2.jpg

I really fucking hate people like this

Great recipe! Like others, I made modifications. I took what I had in my garden - 5 habaneros, 3 seranos, 2 pasillas, one half pumpkin, one tomato, 1 plum, 1 tablespoon of maple syrup, and the rest of the ingredients in the recipe.

No - you are not commenting on this recipe, you have made your own fucking version. What the fuck

51Xj7PuiAhL._SX522_.jpg

I picked this up last week because I had heard good things about the company. The sauce is fucking excellent. It's my favorite right behind Secret Aardvark on the habanero side of things. They have a Blue Agave Sriracha, Serrano, and Ghost Pepper version all of which I'll prolly end up trying too. A+

I really fucking hate people like this

No - you are not commenting on this recipe, you have made your own fucking version. What the fuck

Often times people's comments on recipes found online come out better than the original due to family techniques/ingredients that might be unexpectedly perfect additions.

This does not seem like one of those times.

I picked this up last week because I had heard good things about the company. The sauce is fucking excellent. It's my favorite right behind Secret Aardvark on the habanero side of things. They have a Blue Agave Sriracha, Serrano, and Ghost Pepper version all of which I'll prolly end up trying too. A+

Nice. It's on Amazon, a 5 pack of each flavor or the singles, 4.5 stars. I've put it in my cart.
https://www.amazon.com/Yellowbird-Hot-Sauce-Combo-5-Pack/dp/B06XY9GWJR/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1525115506&sr=8-2&keywords=yellowbird%2Bhot%2Bsauce&th=1

I like bigger bottles of sauce because I use so much. I often add water to the smaller bottles so they pour easier and last longer. Or I'll add green salsa to ranch dressing, and a few drops of the hottest sauce.

Last edited:
That was one of my favorite episodes of HotOnes by far. Only part that caught me off guard was how much he hated Dawson's. I've gone through two bottles of it and love the stuff personally, so it's very much an opinionated sauce I guess. I reviewed it earlier in this thread somewhere too.

@NGFM Fuck ya, I didn't even see the 5 pack when I was checking. Going to add that to my cart for the next purchase and try them all out. Sweeeet.

A lot of people don't bother with Amazon reviews. They leave their feedback in the YouTube comments or elsewhere, like these shitty forums lel. I've bought every sauce from each season pretty much, multiple from Amazon, and have yet to leave a review for instance. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Ancho and Morito's has 4 amazon reviews

estimated sales per junglescout @ 280 per month. they're decently accurate estimates

Last edited:
Been loving this shit lately.

vs9sETT.jpg

Rasta Sauce by Ocean Deck. It's pretty mild but packed with flavor. Great on chicken.

when dealing with the hotter end of sauces (i know this is subjective to one's own tastes) how do you guys apply your sauce? a couple drops mixed in to whatever you're eating, or maybe a spoonful or two, or full on slathering?

Back