Wall jumping

R@ND0M said:
deadjawa didnt play tribes1 dude..

he was the #1 t2 fan

Youre fucking stupid. I played Tribes 1 a lot longer than I played Tribes 2.

And apparently, judging from your TW join date I played Tribes 1 a lot longer than you.

Last edited:
Shinigami said:
Have you ever seen anyone disc themselves off the wall in the sb flag stand so as to get out before the hof can md him? Of course it wouldn't work in that very instance, but it could easily be used in similar situations. I know a capper would be a bit harder to chase if he could change his direction that quickly.
Yeah, but thats totally different. A disk jump and a wall jump are two completely different things. A disk gives you way more impulse than jumping off a wall would. Imagine jumping off the ground, thats all the impulse youd get by jumping off a wall. The splash on a minedisk is so huge that you wouldnt be able to get away using a wall jump.

Last edited:
Void|deadjawa said:
Yeah, but thats totally different. A disk jump and a wall jump are two completely different things. A disk jump give you way more impulse than jumping off a wall would. Imagine jumping off the ground, thats all the impulse youd get by jumping off a wall. The splash on a minedisk is so huge that you wouldnt be able to get away using a wall jump.
But you could combine a wall jump with a disc to get some serious speed.

Reno said:
But you could combine a wall jump with a disc to get some serious speed.
The amount of impluse added by a jump is negligible when compared to the amount added by the disk. Its not the same situation as disk jumping off the ground (the jump isnt really needed off the wall). The reason you disk jump off the ground is to give yourself some seperation from the ground so all of the forces of the disk propel you in the direction you wish to go. Against a wall, thats not nessecary because you can control the distance between you and the wall by merely walking close to the wall (but not right at it), jumping straight up and then disking yourself away. So the wall jump is really unneeded.

Last edited:
Wouldnt a wall jump also require you to have a slower speed going into it than you get out of it. Otherwise your just going to get impact damage and break your legs.

Also, since jumping in Tribes games is continuous (that is, you hold down the button to get multiple jumps rather than timing the jump), all youd have to do is hold down the jump button to get a wall jump. Itd be kinda wierd seeing a capper on SB fly into the flag room at mach 10 then bounce around the room like a pinball because he is conserving all of his momentum via wall jumps.

Last edited:
If you first wall jumped then disc you would get more speed because wall jump + disk > disk just as jumping + disk is > disk and Mine + disk + jumping is > disk etc.

Void|deadjawa said:
The amount of impluse added by a jump is negligible when compared to the amount added by the disk. Its not the same situation as disk jumping off the ground (the jump isnt really needed off the wall). The reason you disk jump off the ground is to give yourself some seperation from the ground so all of the forces of the disk propel you in the direction you wish to go. Against a wall, thats not nessecary because you can control the distance between you and the wall by merely walking close to the wall (but not right at it), jumping straight up and then disking yourself away. So the wall jump is really unneeded.

Conservation of linear momentum.

I would think wall jumping would be VERY cool.. kinda reminds me of the matrix..

but the idea of a capper going into a room.. and being able to wall jump.. it would give a capper the extra "arsenal" to get out of there easier..

But I would do it that at a certain velocity you can't wall jump.. but slam into it like we currently do now.. it would need to be low speeds for the actual model to be able to wall jump..

Shinigami said:
Conservation of linear momentum.
Exactly, if wall jumping was the same as normal jumping (that is with NO friction, or minimal friction like T1) momentum would be conserved. Thats why he would bounce around like a pinball. Even if the collision wasnt perfectly elastic, the capper would ricochet (sp?) around awkwardly.

It would be cool, but not useful. It would make the game's physics seem totally unbelievable.

Void|deadjawa said:
Exactly, if wall jumping was the same as normal jumping (that is with NO friction, or minimal friction like T1) momentum would be conserved. Thats why he would bounce around like a pinball. Even if the collision wasnt perfectly elastic, the capper would ricochet (sp?) around awkwardly.

It would be cool, but not useful. It would make the game's physics seem totally unbelievable.

But see, I did have true physics in mind.

You would be changing direction almost completely. Your velocity up to the wall should have no effect on your velocity after the jump. However, your jump off the wall would still increase your velocity away from the wall just as a jump off the ground would increase your velocity into the air.

I don't know about you, but that seems useful to me.

You would be changing direction almost completely. Your velocity up to the wall should have no effect on your velocity after the jump. However, your jump off the wall would still increase your velocity away from the wall just as a jump off the ground would increase your velocity into the air.

Ahh, I understand. But wouldnt you hurt yourself whenever you wall jumped then? Lost momentum=broken legs. Also, wouldnt this be practically the same effect as hitting the wall *without* jumping? The impulse provided by a jump is so negligible...

What you are talking about is basically like falling from the sky, then hitting the ground while holding the jump button. Thats not very useful...

Last edited:
Void|deadjawa said:
Ahh, I understand. But wouldnt you hurt yourself whenever you wall jumped then? Lost momentum=broken legs. Also, wouldnt this be practically the same effect as hitting the wall *without* jumping? The impulse provided by a jump is so negligible...

What you are talking about is basically like falling from the sky, then hitting the ground while holding the jump button. Thats not very useful...

I think it should be handled the same as if you were hitting the ground as far as damage goes...just the same as hitting a wall in previous tribes games (ie jumping should not make the landing softer).

Perhaps it is so negligible that it isn't worth bothering with, but I don't think so.

I think it could be useful, theres no doubt about that. But when you think about all the things that Impression would have to add to make it look good, it doesnt sound like such a good idea anymore. Theyd have to add animations and stuff for people jumping against said walls. I think it'd be a lot of work.

I'd rather have spiderman style grappling hooks :D

Last edited:
Back