38 studios MMO in development "Copernicus" by Evil Engineer - Page 21 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > TWHOF
Reload this Page 38 studios MMO in development "Copernicus"
Page 21 of 22
Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
401 - 01-26-2009, 14:03
Can't believe I missed this thread some months ago. So some famous people are making a game, how superior are YOU to know it's going to suck when it's that early in dev? There's only really two things required to make a good game.

1. A solid and fun concept.
2. The skill and people needed to bring the concept to fruition.

Everyone can do 1 sure, but it's a lot harder to do 2. Especially when artists, coders, modellers and the like may not be fully convinced of the concept enough to put more than half their talent into it.

Maybe this Curt Schilling (I don't watch sports so I don't know who he is) can actually make a game that could topple WoW. Maybe it'll get more than a few awards for it. And what then smartass? Yeah you lurking in the cyber-background saying it will completely flop. How's your shoe taste?

His company, his money, his game. If it turns out well people will play it.

Sponsored Links
olaf
VeteranX
Old
402 - 01-26-2009, 14:16
Oh its an old thread.

Lookie thar

Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
403 - 01-26-2009, 14:20
And yet someone bumped it and it continues...

LGBR
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
404 - 01-26-2009, 15:09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jislan View Post
justincase if you give me your address I will mail you something with my signature on it
i will too and my signature is worth exponentially more

HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
405 - 01-26-2009, 15:44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feannag View Post
Can't believe I missed this thread some months ago. So some famous people are making a game, how superior are YOU to know it's going to suck when it's that early in dev? There's only really two things required to make a good game.

1. A solid and fun concept.
2. The skill and people needed to bring the concept to fruition.

Everyone can do 1 sure, but it's a lot harder to do 2. Especially when artists, coders, modellers and the like may not be fully convinced of the concept enough to put more than half their talent into it.

Maybe this Curt Schilling (I don't watch sports so I don't know who he is) can actually make a game that could topple WoW. Maybe it'll get more than a few awards for it. And what then smartass? Yeah you lurking in the cyber-background saying it will completely flop. How's your shoe taste?

His company, his money, his game. If it turns out well people will play it.
sounds like something ive heard about every other mmo that failed miserably.
Quote:
And yet someone bumped it and it continues...
i did it for the lulz... and to keep it alive until this abortion is released

[meph]DarkDonut
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
406 - 01-26-2009, 15:51
i read the whole drizzt series of ra salvatore books, really enjoyed it.

but, he did end up writing another game i remember not too long ago, and it bombed pretty badly. cant remember the name, was a console thing.

ps. baseball is still boring

HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
407 - 01-26-2009, 15:55
it wouldnt make a difference if tolkien was hired

Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
408 - 01-26-2009, 16:07
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaPpY View Post
sounds like something ive heard about every other mmo that failed miserably.
Well the problem with the industry now is it is for the most part completely corporatized. Huge publishers and developers are made simply to maximize profit. And such a plan never works with new or innovative concepts. Such things have just as much chance to succeed as they do to fail, and that's why most corporations shy away from it. So they make their studios develop and release predictable and stale games with proven yet dated mechanics.

This guy made a company most likely with no intent to try and make mad profits, so he is taking a chance with innovation. It could succeed or it could fail but you may as well wait until it's out before handing down a judgement.

Strega
VeteranXV
Old
409 - 01-26-2009, 16:10
What I don't get, is why ANYONE ****s on a game before it's even released. You all think because you played a few games that you know what it takes to make and game a talk like you could do better. Bunch of glass is half empty mother ****ers. However, this is TW, and we should expect nothing less from a bunch of guys that have no idea what it takes to make a game, let alone an MMO from top to bottom.

I don't play MMO's anymore, had my fill of EverQuest, just can't afford the time to spend gaming with all my other hobbies these days, but I hope anyone making a game does well, whether I like the game or not. It's also really ****ing stupid to **** on a guy that's taking his passion for gaming, and trying to make something cool on his own. Baseball doesn't have **** all to do with this game, so bringing up anything in regards to that is just idiotic, but that is the TW way.

Last edited by Strega; 01-26-2009 at 16:12..
Psyclone
VeteranXX
Old
410 - 01-26-2009, 16:32
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridX View Post
Rgr, i'll be waiting for some gameplay videos to see if I have to upgrade my comp.. again....

Good luck.
They licensed the Unreal 3 engine so that should give you some idea of how it'll run...It's likely you'll have upgraded your computer again by the time it comes out anyway.

Psyclone
VeteranXX
Old
411 - 01-26-2009, 16:34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strega View Post
What I don't get, is why ANYONE ****s on a game before it's even released. You all think because you played a few games that you know what it takes to make and game a talk like you could do better. Bunch of glass is half empty mother ****ers. However, this is TW, and we should expect nothing less from a bunch of guys that have no idea what it takes to make a game, let alone an MMO from top to bottom.

I don't play MMO's anymore, had my fill of EverQuest, just can't afford the time to spend gaming with all my other hobbies these days, but I hope anyone making a game does well, whether I like the game or not. It's also really ****ing stupid to **** on a guy that's taking his passion for gaming, and trying to make something cool on his own. Baseball doesn't have **** all to do with this game, so bringing up anything in regards to that is just idiotic, but that is the TW way.

Some people don't get out of their mom's basement much, ahem, HaPpY

DacTheHork
Veteran++
Old
412 - 01-26-2009, 16:41
Quote:

Quote:
Discussion of everything under the sun, and some things that should never see the light of day.
suck my dick

In the end though let's be honest

This is gonna fail, the odds are so heavily against it is ridiculous. I mean I understand being nice and all but cmon. Lets be reasonable, this game is gonna be up there with darkfall and horizons.

Golazo
Old
413 - 01-26-2009, 16:52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DacTheHork View Post
holy ****

I just got owned but LOL you read TW?

I feel like the guy in jay and silent bob who got punched in the face. btw I will apoligize for being so harsh, I didn't expect you to ever read this lol. I troll a lot on this forums and just like arguing. I do think like any startup you still have to prove yourselves and it is a very tough business but holy **** I can't believe you responded.

Okay to back up my statements though, it is a gut feeling I have.

DacTheHork
Veteran++
Old
414 - 01-26-2009, 16:57
funny

I am still better than you at Dota

also I think it was just funny seeing curt schilling respond, and so quickly

HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
415 - 01-26-2009, 17:41
Quote:

i dont think you know what the mmo failure rate is... especially since wow has raised the bar so high.

and by the time this coppernicus crap is out, blizzard's next gen mmo will be out. the rest of the industry is aware of this and everyone is already busting their balls to compete more than ever... do you seriously ****in think a meathead pitcher with no real industry experience stands a chance?

FOURSTAR
VeteranXX
Old
416 - 01-26-2009, 17:47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysus View Post
I haven't played an MMO in awhile, but WoW was just way to simple, and boring.

I hope since he's an ex EQ player some of the things that we're great about EQ are brought into it. (Not the PvP)

edit: Also Fourstar, we get it. You're a name dropping homo.
this is my third post in this thread...

HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
417 - 01-26-2009, 17:47
Quote:
Well the problem with the industry now is it is for the most part completely corporatized. Huge publishers and developers are made simply to maximize profit. And such a plan never works with new or innovative concepts. Such things have just as much chance to succeed as they do to fail, and that's why most corporations shy away from it. So they make their studios develop and release predictable and stale games with proven yet dated mechanics.

This guy made a company most likely with no intent to try and make mad profits, so he is taking a chance with innovation. It could succeed or it could fail but you may as well wait until it's out before handing down a judgement.
i'd be far more lenient on the innovation argument if this game didnt already take the overdone fantasy world route. i bet my left nut it will have elves, dwarves, gnomes, etc.

Strega
VeteranXV
Old
418 - 01-26-2009, 18:37
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaPpY View Post
i dont think you know what the mmo failure rate is... especially since wow has raised the bar so high.
Uhmmm, hello? I'm WELL aware of the MMO 'scene' at the moment. I'm not gonna say that this MMO is gonna suck or that it's gonna kick ass, cuz NO ONE really knows what will happen. Just because it won't have WoW #'s doesn't mean it will suck.

HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
419 - 01-26-2009, 18:38
good, then you should know the chance of success for this project. even given the limited information.

Strega
VeteranXV
Old
420 - 01-26-2009, 18:40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DacTheHork View Post
suck my dick

In the end though let's be honest

This is gonna fail, the odds are so heavily against it is ridiculous. I mean I understand being nice and all but cmon. Lets be reasonable, this game is gonna be up there with darkfall and horizons.
1.) No, that's why you have a sister
2.) Honesty is the best policy
3.) You may be right, but to assume that now is premature and idiotic. But, you have the idiot routine down already, and been ownt for it in this very thread.

Page 21 of 22

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > TWHOF
Reload this Page 38 studios MMO in development "Copernicus"

Social Website Bullshit