Nagorak
VeteranX
Old
141 - 05-21-2001, 04:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Natural
-Heroism is gone
-the gameplay lacks grace
-you can't feel the enjoyment of a powerful disk shot that knocks a guy off track or finishes him off in a nice, crisp, explosion.
-same thing, except with mortars
-more time is spent traveling than playing
-skilled disk fighting D < robotic rocket launcher D
-it feels like you're bulky in a huge mountain-filled world
-poorly designed maps with flags indoors that are far too easily defended by overpowered turrets
-the overpowered tank running over people
-since you can't capture the flag so often in the capture the flag game mode, you get points for touching it instead
-the network code was rewritten to become horrible... how many sub 30 pings do you see in T2 vs. Tribes/Quake/etc?
-the game was the vision of one man instead of many
-the beta process was oversized, then undersized, then rushed in order to meet deadlines (T1 was created much more carefully)
-the wonderful promised ability to permanently ban accounts from servers was removed and now they claim that they would "never support such a design element"
-renegades players are far too satisfied
-the lead designer called Scarabre the best T1 CTF map (no joke)

I'm tired of typing. Feel free to flame, or add more to the list.

The tribes community is what made this sequel possible, yet most of us were utterly ignored. Ten years from now when people look back at T2, the greatness of Tribes 2 will be measured by its sales. And the artists of the original Tribes (whom we all owe a immeasurable amount of respect), most of which have left Dynamix, will soon be forgotten.

While this post is critical flame, it is also a pledge of thanks. An acknowledgement that although the sequel was tainted, I respect original the Dev TEAM members who created the first game, this community, and made our online lives memorable.

-Natural of IE
What a crying shame! Don't forget to oil your saddle before you leave.

Sponsored Links
nullper
VeteranX
Old
142 - 05-21-2001, 04:32
Yawn its late this is about the 4 millionth time this has been posted (of course they are droppin off thank god). Of course this one was just seems like someone cashing in on his name to try and get people to play more Tribes. Wonder if it'll work....

Probably not cause tribes is full of cheats that won't get fixed. Oh well bye and sorry you haven't had a chance to play it with the new patch

Heroism gone.......

Last edited by nullper; 05-21-2001 at 04:49..
|Blitzkrieg|
VeteranXX
Old
143 - 05-21-2001, 04:34
Quote:
Originally posted by 'Freakafoniks'
Watch out, 4M and BF ******s have posted. Blitz is inventing a new level of lameness everytime he posts, newbie *****. :invert: ^^
Thanks, I feel like I'm one of you now!

Mirage
VeteranX
Old
144 - 05-21-2001, 04:58
t2 sucks, that's all i gots to say.

"oh gee we have to merge with some other big ass clan to be able to field enough"

Really nice..

I played a few T1 pubs this last week, and even tho I was rusty as hell after 2 months of not playing, it was way ****in more fun than 2 months of T2..

havensgate
Unregistered
Old
145 - 05-21-2001, 05:03
I'm pissed. I just spent ****ing 45 mins typing this nice big ass reply to natural's remarks and such and now it's gone.

so now I'm pissed and I say **** it all.

Haven.

LOL.
God damn I hate "cached" messages.

Sepultura
VeteranXX
Old
146 - 05-21-2001, 05:12

SuicideTaxi
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
147 - 05-21-2001, 05:32
I miss the exhileration of T1.

Tribes 2 is pretty.

Tribes 2 is funny in alot of ways with it's "million ways to die" environment. (Wiping out a teammate with a vehicle spawn keeps getting funnier each and every time I see it! ) (Oh, and seeing your buddy get smushed by a scout fly-by will never get old either )

Tribes 2 is refreshing in it's newness. (Cmon, 3 years of Tribes 1 maps was enough already...)

Tribes 2 is challenging in many ways with all of its gadgets and vehicles and weapons.

But I miss the exhileration of T1! Tribes 2 makes me feel like I'm working. Trudge, trudge, trudge, trudge to the enemy base, shoot a couple of things, die. Trudge, trudge, trudge, trudge to the enemy base, shoot a couple of things, die. Get annoyed, hustle to vehicle pad, get a transport, then sit there spamming voice chat "Need pilot for turbograv... need pilot for turbograv...", then have some buttpile fly you into the side of a mountain. Lather rinse repeat.

With the right people, it's a fun game, but the exhileration of Tribes 1 just isn't there. Thinking back, waaaaaaay back, before the advent of that magical thing called a "ski script", I remember being not very enthusiatic about Tribes 1. It was fun. It was interesting. But I wasnt about to put off a date with a girl for it. I wasnt about to spend an entire day off of work playing it. One of the reasons I played defense in Tribes 1 was out of annoyance from having to trudge, trudge, trudge all over the map. It was more fun keeping the base up than going offense and dealing with retardo pilots and eternally long travel times on foot. Tribes 2 strikes me in the same way as pre-skiing Tribes 1. I'm looking around trying to find the exhileration in it, and I'm not really getting anything. Fun? Sure. Pretty? Damned right. "Exhilerating"? Sorry, I don't see it yet.

Call me an extremist, or say I'm in the minority, (I know I am), but I'm the kind of guy that when I see a slick-painted Corvette with custom rims and it catches my eye enough to look it over, as I take in the button-tuck interior and flashy gauges, the first thing that pops into my head is "Wow, I wonder how that thing rides... I wonder what it does in the 1/4 mile... I wonder what is its top-end is..."

Tribes 2 is the slick show-car you impress the girls with and polish on Sundays, impressing people with it's shine and it's finesse and its "state of the art" injection system.

Tribes 1 is the boxy 68 Cutlass that the neighbors complain about, the one with the loud exhaust and the fading paint job. Its also the one that blows the doors off everything on the track.

I miss the exhileration.

<embed src="http://www.wsbn.cc/sigs/wsbn-sig-1.swf" wmode=transparent height=50 width=200></embed>

Last edited by SuicideTaxi; 05-21-2001 at 06:41..
vert
VeteranX
Old
148 - 05-21-2001, 06:50
Quote:
-you can't feel the enjoyment of a powerful disk shot that knocks a guy off track or finishes him off in a nice, crisp, explosion.
?
imho, hit physics seam identical to t1.

Quote:
depends on the map. just like t1.

Quote:
huh? rockets aren't threatening....

Quote:
....neither are tanks

Quote:
-since you can't capture the flag so often in the capture the flag game mode, you get points for touching it instead
its inconsequential, unless there's a tie. *shrug*

Quote:
-the network code was rewritten to become horrible... how many sub 30 pings do you see in T2 vs. Tribes/Quake/etc?
network code is solid. acclaimed, in fact.

Quote:
how does that impact your enjoyment?

Quote:
-the beta process was oversized, then undersized, then rushed in order to meet deadlines (T1 was created much more carefully)

Quote:

Quote:
-Heroism is gone
depends on the map. i agree, heroism is lost on maps like Death Birds Fly, Archipelago, and Realeacence. BUT you can find the same old exhilaration on Riverdance, Kat, Sanc, and Damnation. damnation is a "hero"/cappers dream.

anyway, sad to hear it. i was looking forward to some IE demos :p

Last edited by vert; 05-21-2001 at 06:54..
Darkpoint
Banned
Old
149 - 05-21-2001, 07:59
Damn, I hate being both hungry and tired at the same time, makes it harder to analyze ppl.

Quote:
That's too bad. I can.

Quote:
It takes about as long to get from 1 base to another on riverdance as rollercoaster.

Quote:
I have like 500 disk kills in T2 compared to like 10 missile kills. I DO have something like 50 turret kills, but ppl should run in there in a pack. 3 heavies, 1 with sjpak, 1 with spak, and 1 with rpak? That's a formidable force that it's not easy to take down, even moreso because they don't worry about ANY turrets. Remember, T1 was a cowboy game. The idea was "<b>TEAM COMBAT</B> on an epic scale" for T2.

Quote:
Grab a med w/missile, 4 missiles = tank bits. Or you could just fly.

Quote:
Though I agree with you that this was a stupid move by the devs, it was done to keep ppl in the pubs. Also, just cuz we get a point for touching it doesn't mean teams are satisfied. I was just in 5150 west a few hours ago, and there was fierce competition on IR of all maps. Score at the end of the map was something like 320-235. Choose your pubs more carefully, the same goes for pubs in T1 as T2.

Quote:
I'm on 28.8. I'm used to pings of 300+. So what if I ping 350-400 on the 5150 servers, it's just that much more of a challenge to me. If I can duel decently with this ping, where I actually have to lead, where I actually <b>have to be good</b> to do passibly at this game, then you should have no problem dealing with a ping that feels the same as you're on a lan.

Quote:
Actually, this is, give or take a little, what T1 was supposed to be.

Quote:
I have no idea what happenned on the beta/meta, besides that lotsa ppl had UE's constantly, and they were told not to report UE's. Thus lotsa ppl didn't report any bugs cuz they couldn't play, so they got dropped from the meta list.

Quote:
What's wrong with scara? It requires teamwork? :o Imagine that...having to work with your TEAM to get something done. That's what T1 was supposed to be all about. Personally, I would have liked to see dom, scara, and a some of the other hard maps played more in T1 pubs.

Quote:
-Heroism is gone
Lesse here...hero=cowboy, right? So, ya, having 1 person being the hero capper, and everyone else staying back on d is out by design.

What grace? Skiing? That's still there, though it makes you conserve your energy more. Flying in and grabbing the flag, then flying off before the flag d even realizes that you're nearby? Again, the whole team thing.

Tell me, natural, do you have a problem with working with ppl? Do you like to do stuff on your own? 8 hrs of play, you must've WANTED T2 to fail your own review. I imagine you've probably been biased against it since the nda was released and you found out what the game was really like.

Clamsoda
VeteranX
Old
150 - 05-21-2001, 08:14
Quote:
-Heroism is gone
um heroism=cowboy tactic
Quote:
um gameplay is for cowboys, so um cowboy=bad
Quote:
hittin people with disc = cowboy-tactic
Quote:
samething except with mortars
Quote:
speed is 4 cowboys, geez
Quote:
skill aka COWBOY STRATEGY
Quote:
being normal size=cowboy
Quote:
-poorly designed maps with flags indoors that are far too easily defended by overpowered turrets
good maps r 4 cowboys again, *sigh*
Quote:
"not getting run over by tanks" what r u, super-cowboy?
Quote:
capturing flag is a COWBOY TACTIC once again!!!
Quote:
good net code aka COWBOY
Quote:
vision = COWBOY
Quote:
bet a process is a hilarious COWBOY idea, so , duh.
Quote:
-the wonderful promised ability to permanently ban accounts from servers was removed and now they claim that they would "never support such a design element"
banning is 4 cowboys
Quote:
being satisified? sound like cowboy talk 2 me
Quote:
lead designer=COWBOY

sigh dumb cowboys

Daemon
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
151 - 05-21-2001, 08:24
If anyone has actually done any capping on a map where someone was doing tank d.. you will know that the thing is damn hard to escape.

Point 1: it's pretty fast, and can go sideways and backwards at full speed, without too much time spent getting to top speed. Unlike your slow-skiing ass.

Point 2: It dosent run out of energy. At zero energy it still goes top speed. Interstingly, it's top speed is close to that of your top skiing speed.

Point 3: Terrain means nothing to the tank. You can drive it over the freaking wall in Sanctuary, and park it on the flag. I drove the damn thing up the wall of the Reversion base, over the top, and down the other side. This means you cannot exploit terrain features to escape it.

Point 4: Well, you can exploit one terrain feature. You could hide in a narrow hole, and avoid being run over. But the thing carries a big ****ing mortar, so that's out.

Point 5: You need 3-5 lights with chainguns to kill the thing.. does your team have that many midfield d?

Needless to say, I agree with Natty.

( tell me you play EQ on Cazic. =) )

KungFu Grip
Unregistered
Old
152 - 05-21-2001, 08:32
T2 should have been called "Nature Hike to Enemy Base".

Dull.

Emilee
Family Man++
Old
153 - 05-21-2001, 08:49
Blitz, saying that Scarb is your fav T1 map shows me that you're still a newb.

DipStick
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
154 - 05-21-2001, 08:50
I have a question for Notable T1 vets. I could give 2 ****s about what you ****** CS/Quake/HL/Ren players think. Really I could give 2 ****s VAV!

Anyway, honestly...and I want complete honesty. Act like I am your grandmother asking this and you know you cant lie to your grammy :/

"If TWL offered the $2000 to a T1 ladder...and not a T2 ladder...or maybe even both...Which game would you be playing?"

My suspicions say that a lot of T2 players that were notable T1 players would cause TWL to crash because so many were going back to T1. If you are a true veteran of T1...You might like T2 a lot...but you know you wouldnt be playin it if the competition was still going on strong in T1. And basically the only reason there is so much competition in T2 right now is for that cash prize.

Dont give me your bull**** saying you ar eplaying it for the love of the game. BULL****. If you are a true lover of T1...you are down deep just as disappointed with this sequel as Nat and I are.

Second point. CHEATING IN T1.
I have been playin T1 for the passed 3 weeks straight. I have not seen any evidence of cheating...or for that matter...anyone accuse someone of cheating. If you say the reason you dont play T1 is because of the cheating...then you are kidding yourself...because eventhough the cheats were released...they arent being used. Not on the "good" servers.

To be honest with you...the only time Ive set foot in t2 was to see if the new patch actually increased skiing speed ( it didnt..mainly a boost in FPS caused ppl to jizz over the "faster speeds") and the second time Ive played T2 was to compete for a free pass to UVA3. And I guarantee the only reason I will open up T2 again will be for the tiebreaker of that UVA3 pass chalenge.

And to those that will flame me.. I have this to say. You either are a ****** CS/quake/HL/ren player, in which case I could give 2 ****s about what you think...or your a mediocre T1 player whom Ive never heard of and play T2 because you can finally be good in a game void of individual skill (AKA-PanamaJack). regardless...I dont care about your opinion because I basically have no respect for you at all.

Apprentice
Unregistered
Old
155 - 05-21-2001, 09:03
Just an observation --

The same thing that Nat's talking about was experienced (and lamented) about by the fighter pilots of WWI...the last "Knights of the Air," free spirits doing heroic things, yada, yada, yada. By WWII, things were becoming more organized, more structured...the feeling was gone. By those standards, today's fighter pilots (or military pilots in general) are downright straitjacketed.

Funny thing...there are still people today standing in line to do that kind of flying...there are still people who stand out from the "everyday crowd"...there are still aces. Just gotta be flexible, just gotta adapt...someone said (I believe) 90% of the effort is just showing up.)

Might be applicable to T2...might not. Just an opinion from a nobody...for what it's worth. Think about it.

Ktulu
VeteranX
Old
156 - 05-21-2001, 09:06
Bump.... I feel with you on this..

Quote:
-Heroism is gone

I'm tired of typing. Feel free to flame, or add more to the list.

The tribes community is what made this sequel possible, yet most of us were utterly ignored. Ten years from now when people look back at T2, the greatness of Tribes 2 will be measured by its sales. And the artists of the original Tribes (whom we all owe a immeasurable amount of respect), most of which have left Dynamix, will soon be forgotten.

While this post is critical flame, it is also a pledge of thanks. An acknowledgement that although the sequel was tainted, I respect original the Dev TEAM members who created the first game, this community, and made our online lives memorable.

-Natural of IE

SuicideSnowman
VeteranXV
Old
157 - 05-21-2001, 09:18
I pretty much agree with all this stuff. I kinda like the tanks though (only when I'm in them) . One other thing I really miss from T1 are the mach 5 flag grabs in midfield. If a flag drops in midfield now it's pretty much luck of the draw who grabs it or in the enemy's case, returns it. All you have to do is fire at it and knock it all around. Lame. Screw realism. Escorting is nearly impossible in this game due to the flag skip bug and the flag physics. Escorting was one of my favorite things to do in T1. Nothing like the enemy thinking they're home free when you come in at supersonic speeds and grab the flag midfield. Oh yeah, rabbit is lame in T2 for this reason also.

Killarmy
VeteranXV
Old
158 - 05-21-2001, 09:19
Quote:
Lesse here...hero=cowboy, right? So, ya, having 1 person being the hero capper, and everyone else staying back on d is out by design.

What grace? Skiing? That's still there, though it makes you conserve your energy more. Flying in and grabbing the flag, then flying off before the flag d even realizes that you're nearby? Again, the whole team thing.

Tell me, natural, do you have a problem with working with ppl? Do you like to do stuff on your own? 8 hrs of play, you must've WANTED T2 to fail your own review. I imagine you've probably been biased against it since the nda was released and you found out what the game was really like.
You have no idea what you're talking about. The hero aspect is what makes a game fun. In T1 almost everyone on a team could have an oppertunity to make a match deciding play in competition. This is just not so with T2.

And I know you're going to say how teamplay wasn't needed in T1, well you never played real T1 then, you were just a newb.

PePpEr
Good Morning!++
Old
159 - 05-21-2001, 09:23
w3rd

Infinite
VeteranXV
Old
160 - 05-21-2001, 09:23
T1 ownz

Page 8 of 50

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > TWHOF