Wtf??? (Professor issues)

Falhawk said:
Email him back saying that you're not going to miss any class or exam for his meeting and that if he would like to discuss something with you he'll either have to do it via email or a time that is open to both of you.

you know, handle it like an adult.

Exactly.

Nothing forces him to be there. Hell he's paying for that class. He should want to listen even if it's "easy" or if he "knows it already". Then again he's probably not paying himself, it's probably state money or his parents, thus continuing his lack of developing personal responsilibity. Good thing he's taking Political Science, because the whole thing smells of bullshit.

You're in HIS class, it is HIS domain. You are not showing him any respect by reading the paper during his lectures. He's going to rip your ass about it, and the dork sitting next to you as well. If you dont want to get your ass ripped about it, dont read the newspaper in his class

Fool said:
Nothing forces him to be there. Hell he's paying for that class. He should want to listen even if it's "easy" or if he "knows it already". Then again he's probably not paying himself, it's probably state money or his parents, thus continuing his lack of developing personal responsilibity. Good thing he's taking Political Science, because the whole thing smells of bullshit.

I'm paying my tuition, a few scholarships, but its mostly me, but thanks for the assumption.

i sleep in honors classes with ~20 people and i dont get into any shit with the professors... that guy just sounds like a dick..

i would skip it and then reschedule or talk to him before/after class, since you have tried to tell him you can't make it

this is an easy problem to solve:

1) another email that says "important class i cannot miss, so i can't be there. my apologies. maybe we can chat briefly after next class or find another time...but i wont be there tomorrow."

2) stop being a douche in the class (note: reading the paper = being a douche, no question about it)

3) when you meet him, apologize sincerely then forget the whole thing

I definitiley wouldn't miss exams to talk to this guy. Send a final email and say "I will be unable to meet with you at 2. We will have to reschedule our appointment."

What can he do if you don't go talk to him? Nothin.

If you have exams then I wouldn't worry about this guy. Meet with him when you can, but don't jump through hoops. If he really wants to talk to you then he will have to wait until you can meet without missing exams.

Yoda said:
Did you even go to college? Seriously... I've never been in a lecture hall where people aren't reading the paper or sleeping or talking or doing stuff that is way more distruptive.

He doesn't show respect toward any of the students and talks down on anyone who speaks. I'm not going to do the same by talking back to him, but I'm sorry, if I want to read the damn paper in the room, I'm going to read the damn paper, or listen to music, or whatever the heck else I want to do. It does not effect him in any way.

Yes, i went to college. And you go to a class to hear the lecture, not to read the newspaper, text your friends or play in your coloring book. It doesnt matter what YOU think is disruputive..its not YOUR class..its his. And you're going to get an ass ripping over it.

E-mail him and say you can't make it and would like to reschedule.

Talking to this a-hole is going to be a pointless exercise anyway...

Next time you are in a class that is pointless, go and talk to the prof right away. Many times they will make some sort of arrangement like writing a paper or something.

1) Reading newspapers is being disrespectful. It is his class, and he gets to set the rules as to what you can and cannot do in it.

2) Just e-mail him times which you CAN see him, instead of trying to being defensive in your e-mails to him. He obviously wants to meet you, he controls your grade, just meet him and get it over with it instead of trying to avoid it.

3) The fact that it is a freshman level course doesn't mean you get to disregard his rules for his class.

JuggerNaught said:
Yes, i went to college. And you go to a class to hear the lecture, not to read the newspaper, text your friends or play in your coloring book. It doesnt matter what YOU think is disruputive..its not YOUR class..its his. And you're going to get an ass ripping over it.

This would be true, except for the daily quizzes on reading. This is just plain silly. Profs treat students like kids, then they should expect them to act like them.

If it weren't for the quizzes, he could skip class and not bother anyone and just do the reading on his own.

Back