My Dad passes away b4 my son was born..need Photoshop help

DwarfVader said:
Alright here is my first toss at it, this is a combination of Bluntz and Oh Heck's work, with some addeptations and some tweaking done to the contrasting/color/levels/mask levels/and the curves.

It makes the colors match up a little better.

http://www.hyperomega.com/uploads/Colorset1.jpg

Skin tone on dad still a bit off, plus you need to add some shadows on dad coming from Viet so he doesn't look pasted. Otherwise looks nice.

Last edited:
vawlk said:
Skin tone on dad still a bit off, plus you need to add some shadows on dad coming from Viet so he doesn't look pasted. Otherwise looks nice.

and I know how the tone is off; he needs more blue in the midtones and highlights (just a smidge).

oh, and viet. I sympathize with you and your son but that is still no excuse for a bad suit. :razz:

:heart:

and when are you going to upload the pic to age? or do you want us to age the current pic of him?

vawlk said:

I can add more blues in there, that should fix it, the shadows I can do also..

I need to fix his freaking tie though, it looks mucho fucked up.

I have to leave the house for a few, when I get back I'll start working on it again.

wow, this shit is amazing!

I need an age progression of my girlfriend, to see if I should marry her, or if she'll end up going to shit when she hits 30ish ;)

Rooster! said:
wow, this shit is amazing!

I need an age progression of my girlfriend, to see if I should marry her, or if she'll end up going to shit when she hits 30ish ;)

post it, I'll take a shot

WRH_Viet_Vet said:
It's a good question, and one that deserves an answer.

My great grandfather was ****************.
My father was ***************
My son, the only male heir at the time, was *****************

every other generation.....

My son asked about his grandfather (my father), and I felt that he should know more about him. He told me several times that he wished he had been able to meet my father, since he is his name sake.

Needless to say, it takes more than a week or two to recapture almost 18 lost years. I never got to see him grow up, wasn't there to play ball with him, etc. He has learned after all these years why he never felt "at home", never felt as though he "fit in" while growing up. After being with me, and spending a week in Florida with me last year at what turned into an impromtu family reunion in his honor, he now feels closely drawn to his original family - us.

He told me as we walked down the beach that for the first time in his life, he knows who he is, and feels as though he belongs now.

Thanks again everyone.

Awesome. I'm very happy for you, Vet.

Last edited:
WRH_Viet_Vet said:
It's a good question, and one that deserves an answer.

My great grandfather was 'Edited'
My father was 'Edited'
My son, the only male heir at the time, was 'Edited'

every other generation.....

My son asked about his grandfather (my father), and I felt that he should know more about him. He told me several times that he wished he had been able to meet my father, since he is his name sake.

Needless to say, it takes more than a week or two to recapture almost 18 lost years. I never got to see him grow up, wasn't there to play ball with him, etc. He has learned after all these years why he never felt "at home", never felt as though he "fit in" while growing up. After being with me, and spending a week in Florida with me last year at what turned into an impromtu family reunion in his honor, he now feels closely drawn to his original family - us.

He told me as we walked down the beach that for the first time in his life, he knows who he is, and feels as though he belongs now.

Thanks again everyone.

Damn I'm all teary eyed. For real.

Thread of the year IMO!

Last edited:
What I really want... Is a copy of that age progression software that the feds use for people.

I know its publically avalible but I can't remember what its called or even how I could aquire a copy of it.

Oh heck that is amazing and I agree with the other poster's suggestion that a hand on the boy's shoulder would be great!

Also, don't forget VV's feet in that pic. I don't know how difficult to be, but it might be easier if you moved him a bit more to the left. That would make the hand to his son's shoulder look a little better anatomically and it would also save you a lot of work on the legs, because they would be mostly blocked by his father's feet.

Last edited:
Phrozen said:
Oh heck that is amazing and I agree with the other poster's suggestion that a hand on the boy's shoulder would be great!

Also, don't forget VV's feet in that pic. I don't know how difficult to be, but it might be easier if you moved him a bit more to the left. That would make the hand to his son's shoulder look a little better anatomically and it would also save you a lot of work on the legs, because they would be mostly blocked by his father's feet.

:) haven't forgotten about the feet. Saving those for last. Focusing right now on getting the stripes to look acceptable on his fathers suit. I'll see about the hand idea. Not sure I want to move him over to the left though. Prefer to keep him offset to the right so his son stands out a bit more, versus having his father overshadowing him. Gonna take a break and grab some dinner. Thx for the input, keep it comin.

Musashi said:
oh, and viet. I sympathize with you and your son but that is still no excuse for a bad suit. :razz:

:heart:

and when are you going to upload the pic to age? or do you want us to age the current pic of him?

Gotta remember, the pic of my dad was taken around 1979. The suit was current fashion at the time, as was the wide tie. The suits my son and I were wearing were custom made for us in 1984 or 1985, and were also "in style" at that time. Fashions come and go - families should be forever. :)

I know I keep saying this, again and again, but Thank you... everyone. The support that you are showing for this project is beyond anything I had hoped for. I wish I could meet every one of you personally and shake your hand.

I don't have any other pics of my dad handy. After I was hurt in Viet Nam, I ewas medivacced to Tripler Army Hospital in Hawaii for a couple of years. He lived in Middle East most of the time, and moved back to Washington DC in 1980. Thank God I left Hawaii and moved to DC in 1981, living with him for the last 6 months of his life, but that's another story.

I can see if one of my brothers or sisters can email me a different pic of my father, otherwise, this is the only one I have to work with for aging.

As for the pics of my son at 21 and me at 50, I'll get that one up tonight.

God bless all of you. I will never forget this.

Last edited:
Wow! Words cannot express the joy and happiness welling up. I am happy you are reunited. I hope you have many many happy years catching up with your "new" son.

BTW, Awsome jobs with the PS's so far. I am always amazed at the skills displayed on this board!

how I've done aging so far:

liquify the face and create the "sag" people aquire with age, including jowls and eyelids. Liquify can also be used to slightly enlarge the ears and nose (happens with age)

once the general shape is how I like it, I google search pictures of old men then use clone-stamp set at 50% to add the texture of wrinkles. clean up, merge. for the hair I do the same but I use the sponge tool to desaturate what hair still shows and use the dodge tool to lighten the highlights. for the finer details and better blending, I use the smudge tool at 1px (70-80% transparancy) to add individial hairs that ties the googled hair higlights to the original.

Am I the only one just damn curious for more details on the whole story? Not because I doubt it's authenticity, but this is such a great thread it seems necessary=)

Back