Cooking on Electric stove

50miler

Veteran X
I'm new to the cooking forum, so hi.

I'm used to using cast iron pans and a nice gas stove at home (In high school) and this summer I am finally going to be in a suite (college) with a kitchen. The kitchen has a electric stove and I was wondering what pan/pot works well w/electric and some advice for using an electric stove. I'd mostly be making myself breakfast and sometimes an early dinner.

Any links to quick b-fast meals 'sides eggs would be cool for some variation (but not the point of this thread).

edit:
~thanks for the tips on managing the heat of the stove & types of pans

Last edited:
Any pan is going to work just as well on an electric stove as it would with a gas stove, the only difference you'll need to work with is time. An electric stove is going to take longer to heat up (thus pre heating your pan will take longer).
More importantly however, while cooking if you want to lower the heat, go down to a simmer from a boil etc, it will also take longer for that element to lose heat, so you need to be careful not to overcook or burn things because you're used to losing heat much quicker with a gas stove.

As for some breakfast recipes, I'll post some delicious breakfast meals later today if I get time.

The trick to cooking on electric is just to pick up the pan/move it off the heat if you want it to cool down quickly. Crank the burner if you want it to heat up quickly, then turn it down once it's close to temp.

Once you get an idea of how hot each dial setting is, you'll get better at quickly regulating the temps. At the end of the day, it's more of a pain in the ass than gas, but it's manageable.

As far as pans, you'll want a couple that retain heat well (cast-iron), and a couple that don't (stainless steel). And one heavy non-stick for eggs only.

Back