Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page US Spaceflight for the future [update]
Page 11 of 81
Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
201 - 03-16-2010, 13:57
saturn V engines are enormously powerful
merlins arent nearly as forceful, and thus smaller (also why they need 9 of them on any falcon 9 to achieve ~26 tons into space or something...SaturnV sent up 115tons)
Quote:
The base Falcon 9 is a two stage, LOX/RP-1 powered launch vehicle. Its first stage is powered by nine SpaceX Merlin 1C rocket engines with 125,000 lbf sea level thrust per engine for a total thrust on liftoff of just over 1.1 million lbf.
Quote:
The F-1 is a rocket engine developed by Rocketdyne and used in the Saturn V. Five F-1 engines were used in the S-IC first stage of each Saturn V, which served as the main launch vehicle in the Apollo program. The F-1 is still the most powerful single-chamber liquid-fueled rocket engine developed[1] (the RD-170 is more powerful but it has 4 chambers).[2
Each F-1 engine had more thrust than all three space shuttle main engines combined.
one engine, 1.5 million pounds of thrust

****ing insane

Last edited by Goshin; 03-16-2010 at 16:11..
Sponsored Links
max
VeteranXV
Old
202 - 03-16-2010, 13:59

vs

And the bottom one wins

Data
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
203 - 03-16-2010, 14:01
Guess size does matter.

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
204 - 03-16-2010, 16:10
Quote:
Hawthorne, CA - March 15, 2010 ***8211; Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) and Space Systems/Loral (SS/L), have signed an agreement for the launch of an SS/L manufactured satellite aboard a SpaceX Falcon 9 as early as 2012. For this mission, Falcon 9 will launch from the SpaceX launch site at Cape Canaveral and insert the satellite into a geosynchronous transfer orbit (GTO).
Space Systems/Loral (SS/L) is the world's leading provider of GEO commercial satellites with 40 percent of the high-power market since 2004. The company has an international roster of blue-chip customers, and its 1300 model satellite is a decades-proven, modular platform with the industry***8217;s highest power capability and the flexibility to support a broad range of applications including high definition television and broadband.
"SpaceX is proud to be selected by Space Systems/Loral as they are one of the premier manufacturers of commercial satellites and the industry leader in satellite sales," said Gwynne Shotwell, president of SpaceX. "With 24 Falcon 9 flights now on manifest, SpaceX has established itself as an excellent partner for both commercial and government customers, and we look forward to supporting Space Systems/Loral on this launch."
"Like SS/L, the SpaceX team is committed to flawless performance and reliability," said John Celli, president of Space Systems/Loral. "We are working closely with SpaceX to ensure the success of a 1300 launch based on our many years of experience. With numerous Falcon 9 launches on their manifest over the next two years, we are assured of a successful flight history in advance of our mission."

Tribalbob
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
205 - 03-16-2010, 16:11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data View Post
Guess size does matter.
i'd say your girlfriend lied to you, but i'm not aware of you ever having had one.

nSpectre
Musashi's Suck-pig
Rayn's Apprentice
Contributor
Old
206 - 03-16-2010, 16:33
Quote:
Originally Posted by nSpectre View Post
I love concept animations.

Reaction Engines Limited :: LAPCAT A2 Animation: Flash

They're like corporate videos. They have their own unique look and feel. Like paintings in restaurants and hotels.

Following up on this post.

I recently ran across a surprisingly good animation of the Mars Science Laboratory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqqBy7C8gyU

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03...actuator_test.

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
207 - 03-17-2010, 13:29
Project Valkyrie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
slower than light spacecraft idea
rather than solid spacecraft, more like a train (crew are a ways away attached by tethers)

less mass = better overall
read the link
(this would happen hundreds of years from now probably. Featuered in avatar)

something else
http://www.centauri-dreams.org/
in regards to Nemesis and Proxima and A&B Centauri, and water on any planetary bodies in the A/B star systems

Last edited by Goshin; 03-17-2010 at 13:31..
Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
208 - 03-17-2010, 13:33
thoughts on near light travel:
Quote:
erhaps when/if humans get the ability to travel between star systems they'll also get the ability to destroy entire planets with the interstellar drive systems of the vessels they created. There's a scary thought.

That is actually precisely the plot-line of Charles Pellegrino's novel "The Killing Star", for which the Valkyrie is merely the instrument.

Any ship capable of travelling at relativistic velocities is also a relativistic missile. If the relativistic missile travels faster than 0.866 c, the kinetic energy is greater than if its rest-mass were transformed entirely into energy (and it is therefore more destructive than a block of anti-matter the size of the ship). Plus, a relativistic missile is impossible to defend against, because of light-lag (by the time you see it, it is almost on top of you).

And a relativistic missile is much easier to build than a relativistic starship, since it doesn't have to slow down...

In the novel, humanity is virtually wiped out by an alien relativistic bombardment. The aliens later admit they decided to do this the moment they became aware that humanity is capable of building relativistic spacecraft, because these are also the ultimate weapon. After that it was merely a matter of "doing it unto them before they do it unto us"...

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
209 - 03-17-2010, 17:25
a different idea in terms of propulsion once in space
LightSail-1- A Solar Sail Missio no fThe Planetary Society

the solar sail
pretty interesting, well documented idea.
first time it will be tested for reals though, since nasa's Nanosail crashed on a falcon1 last year

should be up by year end

also!
Quote:
"Lightsail-1 fits into a volume of just three liters before the sails unfurl to fly on light. It's elegant,"

- Bill Nye the Science Guy, Planetary Society Vice President.
yes

Last edited by Goshin; 03-17-2010 at 17:27..
Tribalbob
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
210 - 03-17-2010, 17:31
yes, but from what I understand

A) it's not very fast
B) it doesn't work once you leave the solar whichamijiggy area, which means it's not usefull on interstellar flights.

but it's a dandy idea for sending a probe to uranus (lol)

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
211 - 03-17-2010, 20:18
it solves a huge problem of transporting lots of mass to a new surface or station, inside the solar system

and also leads the way to tech that users laser propulsion to force the sail forwards

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
212 - 03-31-2010, 14:57
using laser sailing or microwave sailing, even sending a solar sail around the sun for a boost, would get HUGE amounts of energy going. laser sailing can actually theoretically net you high percents of lightspeed. Cant remember if it is .2c or higher. curse my memory

anyway, here's an article about solarsails being used on cubesats to deorbit spacejunk and new satillites so we can actually move around in LEO without all the space debris blowing holes in our ****
Tiny ***8220;CubeSail***8221; Could Ease the Clutter of Space Junk in Earth***8217;s Orbit | 80beats | Discover Magazine
also helps prove the solarsail concept

which is great for NASA actually using it in plans for space tugs and such

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
213 - 03-31-2010, 16:39
heres the space where you can ask about space debris, or solar sails and how they work, where i can dig up more info for those that care
or whatever

but no
you all suck and dont give two ****s about the species

Edofnor
VeteranXX
Old
214 - 03-31-2010, 16:42
I'll give a **** about the species once the specimens around me stop buying all kinds of **** they didn't know existed but apparently desperately need.

Senty
VeteranXX
Old
215 - 03-31-2010, 16:42
Dude, you'd need to cover half the moon with lasers to reach near light and the nearest star.

Here's a question about solar sails though: if a photon hit a flat (perpendicular) surface would the resulting push be in a different direction than if the surface were at an angle?

Last edited by Senty; 03-31-2010 at 16:47..
Rampancy
Veteran++
Old
216 - 03-31-2010, 16:44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
heres the space where you can ask about space debris, or solar sails and how they work, where i can dig up more info for those that care
or whatever

but no
you all suck and dont give two ****s about the species
i would like to know about all of these things

Data
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
217 - 03-31-2010, 16:55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribalbob View Post
i'd say your girlfriend lied to you, but i'm not aware of you ever having had one.
I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of a girlfriend, past or present.

Senty
VeteranXX
Old
218 - 03-31-2010, 17:05
What ever happened to the little ball robots that were supposed to help astronauts out on the ISS?

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
219 - 03-31-2010, 17:39
hadn't heard about little ball robots on the ISS before, so i dug around a little bit

some scientist
Quote:
I worked at ARC in 2001 alongside the PSA team ( PSA Education Page - History ), but lost track of its development over the past few years. The SPHERES pages seems similar, and farther along since there are pics of KC-135 test flights. But I couln't see the connection to the PSA program, no visible heritage from PSA, and none of the people are common to both programs.
Always seemed like a strange program to me, went very slowly with few connections to real astronaut office requirements, but seemed like a pretty good idea. I can understand the hesitancy to use a bowling ball size device that can get itself going pretty fast but may or may not actually stop.
that was back in 2007

SPHERES
NASA - Little Red Robot
thats from 2004

other person with thoughts on the program from 2007
Quote:
I see the main problem with testing SPHERES is they need too much human interaction: both after their test flights, and in the preparation and setup for any new tests. That puts too much pressure on the already busy general ISS crewmember timelines to try and work test flights into them.

Additional large difficulties are the amount of space needed for storage, where that storage can be most efficiently located in already pretty full ISS modules, and the time needed in a test schedule for just digging everything out and getting it checked, prepped, and ready to test.
SPHERES
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...un_spheres.htm
updated 2006

due to the lack of information i can find that is current, i guess it was canceled

Senty
VeteranXX
Old
220 - 03-31-2010, 21:51
Figured as much, it didn't seem like it'd be really useful but still a floating robot in microG would've been hella cool. Danketsu

Last edited by Senty; 03-31-2010 at 22:00..
Page 11 of 81

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page US Spaceflight for the future [update]

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
alex dare levert , alex knapik-levert , ass mode , goshin , goshin fucks men , goshin is unhappy irl , infinity&beyond , nasa , shirtless fatty , very ugly goshin