since AVG are now complete fuckheads, AntiVirus recommendations?

MC Hamster

Contributor
Veteran XX
For those who haven't heard, AVG 8.0 has a little thing in it where it goes and retrieves all the pages returned by your searches and searches them all for malware. In itself, not a huge problem, but it also disguises itself as IE while doing it, and all in all, that causes undue load on websites all over the place...

So.. What's the current ruler in free antivirus/antispyware/etc stuff?

You can also just disable the AVG add on within IE/Firefox...at least that's what I just did. I should have figured out sooner why my laptop was running so damn slow... :(

AVG 8 pissed me off too. Not only because of the web scanner... if you ever crash, the avg .dlls get fucked up and repairing installation doesn't fix it. Total piece of shit pain in the ass.

I just tried Avast and Avira. Avira uses less resources than Avast and has a better UI, so I'm gunna stick with it.

Does AVG 7 still get updates? That was a solid product....I wish I could turn back the clock...

(hey, I'd turn it back to 1998 if I could.... ;))

You need to read up on it a little champ - I'm a bit disappointed in you Hamster.

When you install follow these instructions (from AVG themselves):

If you wish to install AVG 8.0 Free Edition without the LinkScanner component, or uninstall this component from your program, please proceed as follows:

Download the AVG 8.0 Free Edition installation package from our website.
Run the installation with the parameters /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch.

One way to achieve this is to:
save the AVG Free installation file directly to disk C:\
open menu Start -> Run
type
c:\avg_free_stf_*.exe /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch

The installation will be started, and AVG will be installed without the LinkScanner component.

Then the link scanner and shit will be completely disabled. This is not the same as unticking it in your optionb screen once it has been installed, you will no longer get any popup warnings or question marks in the task bar.

Should be almost as good as V7 then :)

For those who haven't heard, AVG 8.0 has a little thing in it where it goes and retrieves all the pages returned by your searches and searches them all for malware. In itself, not a huge problem, but it also disguises itself as IE while doing it, and all in all, that causes undue load on websites all over the place...

So.. What's the current ruler in free antivirus/antispyware/etc stuff?

How about turning off the feature you fucking newb.

You need to read up on it a little champ - I'm a bit disappointed in you Hamster.

When you install follow these instructions (from AVG themselves):

If you wish to install AVG 8.0 Free Edition without the LinkScanner component, or uninstall this component from your program, please proceed as follows:

Download the AVG 8.0 Free Edition installation package from our website.
Run the installation with the parameters /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch.

One way to achieve this is to:
save the AVG Free installation file directly to disk C:\
open menu Start -> Run
type
c:\avg_free_stf_*.exe /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch

The installation will be started, and AVG will be installed without the LinkScanner component.

Then the link scanner and shit will be completely disabled. This is not the same as unticking it in your optionb screen once it has been installed, you will no longer get any popup warnings or question marks in the task bar.

Should be almost as good as V7 then :)

Exactly

Seriously. Great, light on resources, and free (technically not for business use, but they have no real way of telling anyway unless you're a huge organisation). It also runs pretty much silently and you never know it's there, updates and all. I moved to it after getting sick of NOD32 not being free and haven't looked back.

I'm still using AVG 7.5, and the database just updated last on the 3/07/08 (1 day ago) so are you guys saying it's not being updated anymore even though they release updates for it? :shrug:

I use Avast. Switched from AVG to Avast a long time ago and haven't been disappointed except for a few false positives here and there.

I'm kinda pissed at AVG because it removes cracks from all the apps I've downloaded. It thinks they're are trojans, or it says it's a crack program and removes it off the hard drive. I blew AVG 8.0 off my laptop. I may just say screw anti virus because of that.

Back