Am I doing this right? [pics]

Smooshed the front end together late Friday night, then dug into the dash and airbags this weekend.

Wk8UiOe.jpg

TrwKb6w.jpg

No splash guard or rocker cover. Jeep uses plastic rivets and I'll have to get back to the shop sometime this week for those. The only way to get them out is to destroy them. :(
Wipers went in Saturday.

SX3ZHM2.jpg

Started removing dash Saturday, then went to a party.

XAuvwqL.jpg

Sunday I shoveled some dirt for my parents.

9G46aj0.jpg

Then pulled the old dash.

y5RWQv5.jpg

xIHqeMF.jpg

Split the top portion from the bottom and threw it back in. Hooked up enough to make it mobile again.

HBc6oBU.jpg

Waiting on a replacement clock spring for the drivers airbag. The heat from the explosion melted the plugs in the sockets. New clock spring module is over $300. Luckily I found a replacement with only the clock wires. Just remove the old controller board and move it to the new housing. Easy peasy.

Last edited:
They are lucky to know you - btw if a dealer really wants a sell they will let you drive off with no insurance - I bought my first new (used) car like that

Thanks guys. Washer reservoir and pump came in, so I can put that when I'm not working 13+ hours at my day job.

So the dash I found was out of an older model, and there was no way it was going to look right. The 2010 model used a dash Jeep only used for 2 years. :ftard: I had a hell of a time locating one under $600 that wasn't blown apart by the airbags. Ended up finding one in Wisconsin for $150 that had a small scratch from a broken windshield. They shipped it by truck for another $90, and boy did I get my moneys worth on the packing.

9f5qruO.jpg

yfxwVOY.jpg

J4tBIMM.jpg

Kyxgprn.jpg

Once I had the dash in I realized i hadn't gotten seat buckle tensioners yet. The front seat belt buckles have a charge that goes off with the air bags to pull the seat belts tight. Here is an old vs new picture. A charge goes off in the tube driving a piston that pulls a cable attached to the buckle.

9tWKoGX.jpg

Old one is still on the passenger seat.

6HCvSaT.jpg

Drove it a few times to make sure everything worked, and the fan speed light had burned out. Couldn't see it at night. The assembly pops together, and came apart easily enough.

7VpJbSS.jpg

ed56ob4.jpg

But the damn lights are soldered in! This would be fine with a LED light, but they use regular filament bulbs. Again. Screw you Jeep.

FfxsSFL.jpg

4L0fou0.jpg

No matter, found one in my empire of dirt and soldered it in.

vLtydL6.jpg

The finished dash..

U1dVj7K.jpg

fUpFjyj.jpg

Stuck some 2 inch blind spot mirrors on it (because visibility is horrible) and gave it back last Thursday.

Thanks guys. Pretty happy with the way it came together, even though it did take way longer than I had planned.

Back