Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [Official] The Anglers Thread
Page 7 of 16
Travace
VeteranXV
Old
121 - 03-06-2016, 08:50
yea i dont hear of yak troubles as much... float tubing tho... lots of people get in those and die cause they were not prepared.

Sponsored Links
doggor
VeteranX
Old
122 - 03-06-2016, 11:42
trav you're down in SD which has much nicer waters and isn't as cold. if you're crabbing in the SF bay area normally you're in the open ocean and in some areas that get nasty quick. Half moon bay is a real common spot to go and its right next to Maverick's, yeah you don't go when a Maverick's swell is working but the area still can get a decent bump. Also in your grandfather's day they would have made sure to be able to self rescue since they weren't going to depend on someone else to take care of that ****.

Elvis Hitler
VeteranXX
Old
123 - 03-06-2016, 13:20
I'm in Vancouver, B.C. so the ocean is pretty protected. Burrard Inlet is flatter than piss on a plate, English Bay can get a little gnarly, but still not open ocean. I intend to spend a fair amount of time on small lakes before I tackle anything flowing or salt water.

Anyhow, super stoked to pick it up in a couple weeks. This is the kayak I'm getting

https://www.rei.com/product/884242/a...flatable-kayak

Travace
VeteranXV
Old
124 - 03-06-2016, 19:50
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggor View Post
trav you're down in SD which has much nicer waters and isn't as cold. if you're crabbing in the SF bay area normally you're in the open ocean and in some areas that get nasty quick. Half moon bay is a real common spot to go and its right next to Maverick's, yeah you don't go when a Maverick's swell is working but the area still can get a decent bump. Also in your grandfather's day they would have made sure to be able to self rescue since they weren't going to depend on someone else to take care of that ****.
i get ya and yea men are soft now adays compared to our gramps days.

doggor
VeteranX
Old
125 - 03-06-2016, 19:57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Hitler View Post
I'm in Vancouver, B.C. so the ocean is pretty protected. Burrard Inlet is flatter than piss on a plate, English Bay can get a little gnarly, but still not open ocean. I intend to spend a fair amount of time on small lakes before I tackle anything flowing or salt water.

Anyhow, super stoked to pick it up in a couple weeks. This is the kayak I'm getting

https://www.rei.com/product/884242/a...flatable-kayak
Nice. Have you considered the hobie also? I've got an i12s and its super stable combined with the peddle system and rudder it makes it a good fishing yak if not that fast.

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
126 - 03-07-2016, 00:58
I hear ya doggor, it's just that nowadays you cant read anything without people advising you to bring water, sunscreen + hat, snake bit kit, gps, plb, flares, leave a log book and update your will before walking through the park.

I guess it's the nanny state and litigious influence. If you advise someone to do something without a shopping list of warnings then they tend to blame you when they **** it up by being stupid.

also I love the i12 was thinking of getting one as I like the smaller size compared to the 14 (or even 17!). Do you use it in lakes? The only thing I think I would prefer is a system where you can back pedal and go in reverse. Much easier to poke around the sunken trees.

doggor
VeteranX
Old
127 - 03-07-2016, 01:13
I've used it for crabbing mostly and some rockfishing off san francisco, ocean side. I'm more of a diver so I've not taken it to any lakes yet but I know that paddling it is decent and the rudder helps a lot since the boat is pretty light on top of the water. The i14 is a tandem so you actually lose a lot of space because of that seat and its sorta weird to find the balance if you go solo.

A nice thing about the i series is they have a huge capacity. I've had a lot of weight on it and never felt like I was going to sink it.

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
128 - 03-07-2016, 02:53
i14 is solo i17 is tandem I think

but they do look nice, not sure how claustrophobic I would feel being stuck in place.

I also really like the adventure island with the sail and outriggers, some amazing gopro stuff of dudes on those

Travace
VeteranXV
Old
129 - 03-07-2016, 08:59
my good buddy pbk came through town so we hit up the OB pier. i got 2 barred sand bass he got a sting ray and a perch. was good times.

ohh and notice the cool chum bucket set up... its pretty much a quad drop set up but instead of a weight at the bottom its a little bucket i fill with the soft anchovies i cant keep on the hook anymore.

Elvis Hitler
VeteranXX
Old
130 - 03-07-2016, 22:16
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggor View Post
Nice. Have you considered the hobie also? I've got an i12s and its super stable combined with the peddle system and rudder it makes it a good fishing yak if not that fast.
A Hobie is my dream jayak. Unfortunately, Elvis Hitler isn't made of money. This inflatable gives me the best of affordability and storage. It's an almost 13' kayak that folds down into a backpack. And about a third of the price of a Hobie and less than half the weight.

Travace
VeteranXV
Old
131 - 03-14-2016, 11:19
well here is a first for me... last night something slammed some mackeral i had out... was a odd but interesting fight. then i get it up the pier. and...

a ****ing eel. haha that was fun. really starting to learn the OB pier. been catching fish every time i go now. been getting a lot of croackers, sand bass , queens fish and rock fish.

Travace
VeteranXV
Old
132 - 03-18-2016, 10:10
ok so anglers tell me what you do here?

fishing the OB pier late at night. not a single other person is on the end of the pier with you when you hook up. you fight the sea beast for a good 10-15 mins before you get it to the surface... once its at the surface its dark so you cant see what kind it is but you know for sure its a 6-7ft shark. you got 20 lb test. WHAT DO YOU DO?

this is exactly what happened to me last night. i had it at the surface and thrashing around a little while it rested. a angler was walking up the pier and i was yelling anyone have a gaff? no one did. so i just tried to get a pic(which is nothing but blurry splashes) from the rail. after about 5 mins it dove down pulling my drag and almost snapping my rod. then it must have ran the line into the pilings cause it snapped.

i just wanted my picture with the shark anyhow i know the spots and have been meeitng the fishing crews that are there everynight. pier fishing is my new thing right now. even tho i did go catch some good size bass the other day at my local lake.

Thingfish
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
133 - 03-18-2016, 10:39
You need one of these for fishing from bridges/piers.

http://***91;http://www.amazon.com/Frabil.../dp/B00A1ZEUZ0

Travace
VeteranXV
Old
134 - 03-18-2016, 11:01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
You need one of these for fishing from bridges/piers.

http://***91;http://www.amazon.com/Frabil.../dp/B00A1ZEUZ0

that could work... i think the shark would have been to big for it. all the videos i have watched guys have like a huge treble hook on a rope and they pretty much just foul hook it as a gaff.

Thingfish
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
135 - 03-18-2016, 12:15
My intent would be to release a fish unharmed, but whatever.

Tic
VeteranXX
Old
136 - 03-18-2016, 12:34
Love this thread...

Question for you educated folk -

I havent been fishing in years, sadly - and I do not know where all my gear is. Now that my oldest is 3 its time to buy him a rod and get dad a new one too.

Not looking to drop a ton of cash as we dont go often enough, but would like something solid, etc - I'm in southern Ontario, so primarily we will be Bass fishing, but there is a lot of variety as well (FWIW). What do you guys suggest in terms of reels / rods?

havax
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
137 - 03-18-2016, 12:46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travace View Post
ok so anglers tell me what you do here?

fishing the OB pier late at night. not a single other person is on the end of the pier with you when you hook up. you fight the sea beast for a good 10-15 mins before you get it to the surface... once its at the surface its dark so you cant see what kind it is but you know for sure its a 6-7ft shark. you got 20 lb test. WHAT DO YOU DO?

this is exactly what happened to me last night. i had it at the surface and thrashing around a little while it rested. a angler was walking up the pier and i was yelling anyone have a gaff? no one did. so i just tried to get a pic(which is nothing but blurry splashes) from the rail. after about 5 mins it dove down pulling my drag and almost snapping my rod. then it must have ran the line into the pilings cause it snapped.

i just wanted my picture with the shark anyhow i know the spots and have been meeitng the fishing crews that are there everynight. pier fishing is my new thing right now. even tho i did go catch some good size bass the other day at my local lake.
yep, you need a drop net, bro. **** used to happen to me all the time on bob hall pier in corpus. sucks to lose a beast.

havax
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
138 - 03-18-2016, 12:50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tic View Post
Love this thread...

Question for you educated folk -

I havent been fishing in years, sadly - and I do not know where all my gear is. Now that my oldest is 3 its time to buy him a rod and get dad a new one too.

Not looking to drop a ton of cash as we dont go often enough, but would like something solid, etc - I'm in southern Ontario, so primarily we will be Bass fishing, but there is a lot of variety as well (FWIW). What do you guys suggest in terms of reels / rods?
i always go with shimano reels and falcon rods, but i do tend to buy more top end expensive equipment for salt water fishing.

Thingfish
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
139 - 03-18-2016, 13:23
Nothing wrong with a kiddie pole for a 3 year old

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3igichB4rPE

Tic
VeteranXX
Old
140 - 03-18-2016, 13:40
Yah I was thinking a $30-40 'kiddie' package should be good for the lil man - I do want to get a good reel as I agree, buying quality rarely will prevent you from having to buy crap regularly (most of the time) - will check out Shimano.

Page 7 of 16

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [Official] The Anglers Thread

Social Website Bullshit