Cata professions

i doubt super-raider adroit is concerned about making cloth

tailoring was the shit in the beginning of TBC when no one had any raid gear, everyone needed Frozen Shadowweave or Spellweave gear to be worth a shit

i wonder if its that

The sp proc on the cloak is huge. If youre a cloth wearer and are serious about min/max eng/tailor is best by a reasonable margin.

i see. i was thinking about dropping tailoring for Eng, but this complicates things. drop JC? bleh, i just levelled that shit a few months ago. mother fucker.

Fuck re-leveling JC. I have done all professions to 450 but engineering and did that to 300 and NOTHING was worse than JC'ing. Never again...

Unless they change tailoring, i would never drop it. You need at least 2.5k frostweave cloth to level...where you gonna get that when cata comes?

The sp proc on the cloak is huge. If youre a cloth wearer and are serious about min/max eng/tailor is best by a reasonable margin.
Are you taking into account the ridiculous stats of many of the items in Cata? I'd almost assume the static SP gain from a prof like JC or enchanting would be more of a gain overall, apparently LW gives you 130 intellect to bracers.

Last edited:
Are you taking into account the ridiculous stats of many of the items in Cata? I'd almost assume the static SP gain from a prof like JC or enchanting would be more of a gain overall, apparently LW gives you 130 intellect to bracers.

Yes. Theorycraft shows that Tailoring, for cloth wearers, beats all except Engineering.

Blotter said:
i see. i was thinking about dropping tailoring for Eng, but this complicates things. drop JC? bleh, i just levelled that shit a few months ago. mother fucker.
I wouldn't drop Tailoring for anything. Having JC isn't going to put you at a huge disadvantage...plus it's a goldmine.

I dropped Enchaint for Engineering about three months ago. If I was told JC was the best suddenly I probably wouldn't switch.

Most people on these boards don't care that much anyway so the fact that the discussion has gone this far surprises me >.>

Tailoring has been good for a long time. I'd drop JC and PL tailoring if I didn't have damn near every cut in the game. My 2nd profession is Enchanting and I've had it since level 60 and have no intention of dropping it.

I do wish I had a couple tailoring/alchemy xmute mules though (especially the first couple months of Cataclysm), but I'm going into the expansion with ~80k gold so I'm not too worried about missing out on some easy gold.

Since you can now track mineral nodes and herbs I'll probably drop JC on my warrior and make it a fulltime farming bot but I really don't want to spend a day picking flowers to hit 450.

Tailoring is always top of the group in terms of new gear in an expansion.

TBC you had excellent gear that literally lasted from a month after TBC launch, till black temple. I had that primal mooncloth belt until the belt of divine guidance on illidari council in BT.

WOTLK the initial tailor stuff was great, but the jump from 80 dungeons to naxxramas was nonexistant. I've been hearing in cata if you don't progress right, its really difficult to jump from regular dungeons to heroics to raiding quickly. I don't know what to believe, since they've been catering to Feannags for awhile now.

Fuck re-leveling JC. I have done all professions to 450 but engineering and did that to 300 and NOTHING was worse than JC'ing. Never again...

Profession leveling is going to suck much less, btw. Making blue items isn't going to be suck ass to grind on, because they grant more skill points, and frequently have appropriate random stats, to make them more marketable.

Profession leveling is going to suck much less, btw. Making blue items isn't going to be suck ass to grind on, because they grant more skill points, and frequently have appropriate random stats, to make them more marketable.

Inscription was the only one that did that. Was leveling another scribe a couple months back, got to 80 when you start making glyphs and each orange glyph got you 3 skill points. As I saw none of the others did yet, hopefully it will be in 4.0.3a.

Hyperspeed Accelerators, and the new specialized engineering socket/gems. Plus you can add the use effects of all engineering items on top of standard enchants.

The engineering socket/gems currently only works on the Engineering helm. If they change it when Cata goes live, it will far and away be the best. Right now, it's subjectively on par with every other profession. Jewelcrafting is still marginally better than blacksmithing, alchemy, etc.

Note: Part of this pertains to Tier 11 viability and not further. This is in order of preferance.

EJ said:
Profession Bonuses

Engineering
There is a major change in how engineering enchants work: The use effects do not overwrite the usual enchant anymore. With current numbers, engineering should be the strongest caster profession by far.
Synapse Springs: 480 Int for 12 sec on a 1 min cooldown results in 96 additional Int.
Z50 Mana Gulper adds some Mana to your Mythical Mana Potions.
Nitro Boots have their crit bonus removed.
Springy Arachnoweave still adds the 27 SP bonus on live, but this is removed in Cataclysm, only the use-effect (parachute) stays. This means, that engineering finally works together with tailoring.
Lightweight Bio-Optic Killshades with special engineering sockets. As a mage you are forced to put 208 Hit into the hydraulic socket, but you can choose from different cogwheels, each granting 208 of a different (yellow-gem) combat stat. The resulting values match non heroic T11 raid loot, so this item only helps in the T11 progression phase.
Tailoring
Lightweave Embroidery: 580 SP for 15 sec, 35% procc chance, 1 min internal cooldown. Asuming maximum uptime we get an average of 145 SP or 138 Int instead of the usual 65 Crit (+73) or 50 Int (+88) enchants.

Jewelcrafting
3x 67 Int Gem results in +81 Int over 3x Brilliant Inferno Ruby. There are also Gems for each combat rating with the same profit.

Blacksmithing
The two additional sockets Socket Bracer and Socket Gloves result in 80 Int, or whatever stat you can gem for.

Alchemy
Mixology adds 80 Int to your Flask of the Draconic Mind and doubles the duration.

Enchanting
2x Enchant Ring - Intellect for another 80 Int.

Felfire Inscription adds 80 Int to Greater Inscription of Charged Lodestone, which also saves you some reputation farming

Leatherworking
Draconic Embossment - Intellect: 130 Int instead of 65 Crit or 65 Haste. *

Herbalism
Lifeblood: 480 Haste for 20 sec on a 2 min cooldown works out to 80 Haste. *

Skinning
Master of Anatomy - 80 Crit. *

Mining
Toughness will only help tank mages.

* The benefits of Leatherworking, Herbalism and Skinning depend on relative stat values and thus cannot be compared directly to the other professions. If the value of combat ratings stays as low as Roywyn has precalculated, Leatherworking would be a strong profession in the early tiers while Herbalism and Skinning would not be competitive.

"Draconic Embossment - Intellect: 130 Int instead of 65 Crit or 65 Haste. *"

This doesn't seem quite right.
I'm guessing that bracer enchants will max out at 50 stat points instead of 65. Or, the 65 stat point enchants won't be available until epic gems are available (in which case, the stat value of the LW embossment will be modified accordingly.)

Either way, in about 2-3 months, I expect to see lots of graphs, spreadsheets, and nerdrage about LW enchants being overpowered or underpowered. It should be fun to watch.

Back