TW Drummers-Throne question

I have a Gibralter throne, and it is comfortable and all, but I was at a show the other day and saw the drummer using a throne with a low back on it. I have never played using a throne with any sort of back support. Is it worth it? Have any of you tried one, or use one currently?

I have had some lower back trouble, along with shoulder issues recently, so my playing has been hampered. Am curious if any player here would recommend a throne with back support, or have any input into the idea.

Heres a little Meytal Cohen covering Cowboys from Hell:

i would suggest you go to the gym and build some strength

back pain (which didn't arise from trauma) is almost always due to having weak musculature and can typically be relieved by strengthening the musculature

the same goes for your shoulder problem

My back issues stem from several things-a car accident, then a work injury...and finally I have several bulging discs that seem to bother me the most when I play. I have done plenty of exercises etc. The shoulder is from a torn muscle that again only seems to bother me the most when I play. I have tried several physical therapies and they seem to do the trick...

I have tried several seats with backs, and they just do not seem as comfortable...I still have my Gibraltar, and I still like it...

i'm not talking sissy physical therapy shit

i mean actually getting strong

it resolves most physical ailments
I'm with BeLiaL on this one. Having a recent left shoulder injury stopped our band from booking for 3 months until I was released from PT fully and have improved because of weight lifting which is helping the arthritic pain in the joint.
Aside from lifting weights at home, before we go on I do a regiment of stretches for a half hour and carry a 10 and 20lb weight in my vehicle with the hardware. Starting with the 10 I do curls with both arms for 15 mins then move to the 20 for 15 mins. The weight may not seem heavy at all but have found it's ideal for the job application and you don't want to overdo it. So the readiness plan takes an hour, this is useful before a 45 min set but for a full 3 hour show I'll keep the weights with me to stay hot during the break then ice after all playing is done.
Hopefully you will find a throne suitable for your needs but it's mostly on personal preference because we're all different. I use the Gibraltar Hydraulic Moto-Style Throne with the optional back support attachment slot underneath but have yet to try it.

Last edited:
I have managed to strengthen my back and shoulders by doing exercises etc. I went to a doc and he noticed I had two bulging discs in my back which were in the area of most of the discomfort there...so at least I know that much. My shoulder is getting better. I managed to get myself a regimen before I play-even though I don't play professionally-where I do some weights and some pushups..it helps.

I have been experiencing some grip issues with my sticks now...unsure why it is, but my hands cramp up, or begin tingling. Doc could not find anything, so I am thinking this may be a muscular thing there, so I have been working on that as well. Getting old sucks...I did not have any of these issues when I was playing in bands...

Back