[T:V Weapon Skins] etc...

BoDean

Veteran XV
I tried using the search function but it keeps borking out on me. I've been w/o the net for a few months now and was wondering if anyone had come up with a solution for weapon skin replacements for online play...

I have a working method which I wouldn't mind sharing, unless someone else has already beat me to the punch. I could write a short tutorial on how to go about the process if anyone is actually still playing...

Oh yeah, on the same note, this method will also let me release recolors of the sniper rifle beam, chaingun tracers as well as Blaster tracer rounds.

Cheers m8's

BoDean, is there any way you can Get the T:V Disc Explosion/Trial out of TV and make it able to put into T1? Also what about the Nade Trails and Reticles. Thanks Alot.

ManyLith said:
BoDean, is there any way you can Get the T:V Disc Explosion/Trial out of TV and make it able to put into T1? Also what about the Nade Trails and Reticles. Thanks Alot.

Due to the way the Unreal Engine displays particles, extracting the explosion would do no good as there is no alpha on the image. The weapon trails are done in the same manner. I have extracted the reticules for you, or anyone else who wanted them in a png format.

I've still not got around to starting that short tutorial for the skins though.

Last edited:
hey BoDean

yep there are still people playing and weapon skins/recoloured laser beam tutorial would be awesome...cheers

Ok, I've got some good news and some bad news.

-Good News

I am almost finished doing the Sniper Rifle Beam, Blaster and CG tracer recolors as well as a Readme on how to use them in game.

I have also successfully got 3rd person weapon skins to work online. *See Pics Below*

--Bad News

I can't seem to figure out a way to modify the data that tells the skeletal mesh (not static mesh) of the weapons which textures to use. Perhaps, if those of us who still play could put our heads together, we could find out how we can do this as I'm almost positive we can.

Here is the deal, when in first person view, your weapon is a Skeletal Mesh. When in third person view or when a weapon is dropped, it turns into a Static Mesh. Now, when you open the Static Mesh browser in TVEd, all you will see are the Static Meshes listed in whatever package you have open. I know that the Static Meshes as well as the Skeletal Meshes are also located in the Weapons.pkg file located inside your Art folder. I know this from looking at certain values of weapon classes which point to the same package for both types of meshes.

For example:
Notice how they both property values start with weapons.. This indicates that both skeletal and static meshes for the spinfusor lay within the same file. Now, when you open up the Static Mesh browser, and open the Weapons.pkg file, you will see all the Static Meshes inside. What you will not see, are any Skeletal Meshes.

Ok, lets say you wanted to skin the Spinfusor static mesh. The first thing you would need to do is, load the Weapons.pkg file in the Static Mesh browser, then highlight the one named spinfusorheld. Next you will need to right-click on a viewport and select Add Static Mesh: 'weapons.spinfusorheld'. After that, go back to your static mesh browser and click Edit on your toolbar and then select Create From Selection. The next window that opens will let you specify the Package you want to copy the mesh into, the name of the duplicated mesh and optionally the group name. I named my package BoDeansSkins and named the mesh BoDeansSpinfusorheld. After you have duplicated the mesh into a new package, you will be able to modify it's default properties. To do this, click the drop-down list and select the package name you duplicated the mesh into (BoDeansSkins). Then, highlight the mesh name (BoDeansSpinfusorheld) and in the properties box at the bottom of the Static Mesh browser, expand Render -> Materials and change the value to point to whatever skin you have made for the mesh. Saving the package is next.

Now your on to the good part, being able to see the new skin in-game. Let me say that, this is not exactly plug-n-play. You will need to start T:V with the console enabled. If you don't know how to do that, right-click the shortcut icon you use to start the game and make it look similar to mine. Make sure you point it to the correct install location:

"C:\[ Gamez ]\Tribes Vengeance\Program\Bin\TV_CD_DVD.exe" -console

After you started T:V with the console enabled, and are at the main menu, load a map by accessing the console (via the TAB or Scroll Lock key) and type:

open mp-emerald

I just used emerald as an example, you can use any map you want. Once the map has loaded, access the console again and type in the following:

SET WeaponSpinfusor thirdPersonStaticMesh StaticMesh'BoDeansSkins.BoDeansSpinfusorheld'

What that does is tell your client, to display the duplicated static mesh instead of the default one. This is all done clientside. No one but yourself will be able to see the different skin, even if they have the same skin package file. For your eyes only so to speak.

In-game during online play:
3rdpersonworkinginonlineplay6b.jpg

Ok, now, there is no firstPersonStaticMesh property to alter/change. There is a property named: firstPersonMesh
Now, when I modify the value of firstPersonMesh to point to my static mesh, it crashes the game. So, I've come to the conclusion that any property that states MESH refers to Skeletal Meshes and that any property states StaticMesh of course refers to Static Meshes.

If I could find a way to duplicate the Skeletal Meshes OR modify Skeletal Mesh properties directly, we can overcome the problem with weapon skins for online play.

The properties that need to be changed are found in the Static Mesh Browser.
Example:

If anyone knows how to set properties of an array for a value (by using the SET command via the console) or how to duplicate/extract the Skeletal Meshes, please reply.

Cheers folks, I hope we can get this worked out in due time.

hey that looks like my old recolored spinfusor I only got to work offline haha.

nice man! I'll read more into this thread later

WONDERFUL NEWS!!!

Get ready for the skins to start pouring in because....I can now officially say, that weapon skins in online play is 100% possible. I've even had a 2nd tester besides myself (thanks Odium) just to make sure. They DO work, but it take a little bit of time to set them up.

Stay tuned! ;)

Ok, this is just a small tutorial to setup a sample of what is to come...

Resources:
FileCloud - Downloads: BoDeans Skin Teaser Package

First
First things first, you need to have your console enabled to get the skins to work for you in-game. To do this, right-click your shortcut which launches T:V and add -console at the end (outside of the ending double apostrophe). Make it look similar to mine:

Next, you are going to need to open your TV_CD_DVD.ini file (located in your Tribes Vengeance\Program\Bin\ folder. Once you open the ini, search for:

Suppress=WindowedMode

and comment it out like so:

;Suppress=WindowedMode

Save and close the ini. Go ahead and make sure you have BoDeansTeaser.pkg from the above zip file extracted to your Tribes Vengeance\Content\Art\ folder. If the pkg file is already there, continue on...

Go ahead and start up T:V. Once the main menu loads, press tab to bring up your console, and type:

open mp-emerald

Which map isn't important. You can use any map but you have to do have admin privledges in order to use the console command that will allow you to change the skins. After the map loads up, press your Scroll Lock key to bring up your windowed console. Type in:

ToggleFullScreen

This should now make T:V run in windowed mode. If you have followed the directions so far, you should have something similar to what you see here:

Now if your desktop looks like mine pictured above, your on the right track. Next, type the following into your console window:

EditDefault Class=WeaponSpinfusor

This will open a small window with a lot of different properties with various values. The window looks like the following:

Ok, now that you have the properties dialog window open, scroll down to the very bottom and expand Display then scroll all the way down again and highlight Skins. Next click the small right arrow and add two (2) slots. It should now look like the following:

Now we are going to assign a texture to the Spinfusor. Click on the both skin slots ([0] and [1]) and change them both from None into:

Texture'BoDeansTeaser.TeaserSpinfusor'

Now the properties window should look like the following:

Once both have been modified like the image above, close the properties window as well as the console. Visit an inventory station and get a loadout that contains a spinfusor and enjoy the teaser skin. You can keep playing around in off-line mode with the new skin if you would like, or you can disconnect, and join an online game to view your new skins while playing online. Thats all the modifying that is necessicary to view your skins.

workingscreenshot1stperson6hw.jpg

There are a few bugs however, like the dial on the spinfusor using the same texture as the spinfusor itself. This and a few other adjustments will come in time. Until then, happy hunting!

Cheers,
BoDean

confirming it works online :D

edit -hrm, will you have to do this everytime you load T:V?

Last edited:
Make a shortcut on the desktop, or somewheres, that has the executable direction with the -console on the end. :)

AWESOME NEWS BODEAN! I love you man.

yup.jpg

prety.jpg

Haha, ages ago when I could only get it working offline. since then I finally got a video card that can handle fog and full shadering. :)

Mmmmmm though I'm most purely Renwerx, a little T:V here and there is fun.

Last edited:
ManyLith said:
Very Nice Thank you alot.

Is there anyway to Convert TV Weapon Models over to Tribes 1?

play T:V :D

anyways I love this I cna't wiat ot start skinning my own weapons (I map and skin for T:V still I would love to make a particle trail and explosion and matching weapons for my skins :D)

dEhaV said:
hey BoDean

yep there are still people playing and weapon skins/recoloured laser beam tutorial would be awesome...cheers

I have Surreal all fixed up dehav, with the sensors in the irght spots (and I added a terrain macro texture for my own practice at it) if ya want me to host it for ya I'll put it on my FTP. (I didn't build a .mopp for it yet tho)

megaman said:
I have Surreal all fixed up dehav, with the sensors in the irght spots (and I added a terrain macro texture for my own practice at it) if ya want me to host it for ya I'll put it on my FTP. (I didn't build a .mopp for it yet tho)

when you've got a finished version that'd be great megaman, cheers! :D

cixel! :) haha I love the work man.

hey bodean, I notice you make use of T2flaghug too! Ssssssssh don't tell anybody haha.

Rooster128 said:
cixel! :) haha I love the work man.

hey bodean, I notice you make use of T2flaghug too! Ssssssssh don't tell anybody haha.

I only play T:V for fun. No competition for me. With that being said, I've never joined a server and been greeted with a server message stating the use of it is a bannable offense. If I did come across one, I would be more then happy to disable/remove it.

cixelsyd, thanks for the indepth tutorial on the skinning process. I'll see if I can
whip up a quick set for everyone to use in my official release.

Getting back on track, with the cg/blaster/sniper rifle tracers capable of being recolored....what colors would you all like to have me create? The same as my other recolors for the weapon trails?

Back