Vengeance Vengeance

Excal said:
ZOD hit the nail on the head, There are so many differing opinions about how the game should be made it would be impossible for any company to make everyone happy. Even in T1 the "magical ideal" in alot of peoples opinions there are differences in gameplay rules. Read back over this thread carefully, the bulk of this thread consists of uninformed gamers wanting to try to prove that they have a clue about what is going on in the gaming industry interupted every once in a while by TseTse contributing the same 3 paragraphs of his opinion.

Marweas asked for a list of wants and a few posters actually read his post before jumping in and calling their place in the thread. The rest just saw that it was a post that would get some attention and decided to use the opportunity to express their opinion about who they blame for T:V's lack of expected performance. When in all honesty most of these guys blaming Marweas or Thrax were probably embarrased by them at some point and mistakenly think their opinions matter.

This is why nothing will get done, The TW community cannot get through a thread asking what the community wants without turning it into a finger pointing circle jerk much less work together towards any goal. The bottom line is we have three choices,

1. If VUG decides to release another Tribes game we as a community get over our outrage over the dropped support for T:V and try it.

2. VUG sells the Tribes IP to Garage Games or some other game house and they continue the franchise.

3. The community requests Garage Games to make a tribes like game and we forget about tribes all together.

Everyone needs to get past trying to find someone to blame and start looking at viable ways to make something positive happen.

I blame you for not posting the T1 Beta!

No, really, sometime, you think you could post it for all the fans here?

Vir said:
The ability to customize is great but you still must have the properly designed base game that inspires the masses. Look at BF2, they are releasing the mod tools before the game is even out but it's still the way the developers came up with the sequel that has attracted the attention in the first place.

T2 inspired the masses, sure vets(even though there were plenty who didn't)hated it with a passion but at least they had the ability to change it to how they saw fit.

I agree, I think the "base" game needs to be a new gametype that appeals to the masses. It will probably need to be something large scale and semi-tactical since that is what's popular now.

You definitely can't go back into previous Tribes and pull out a "base" game since that is where the point of contention among fans lies.

The goal should be to have a game that can maximize the player base, that will make it attractive to publishers, but yet give the current community the game options they desire. I believe it could be done according to what I mentioned earlier. I see no good reason why you can't have it all, really.

Yankee said:
wtf does "Tribes IP " mean?

I'll get you started .. .

Inte .. . .. Prop. . . ..

I believe your smart enough to figure the rest out. ;)

It means that we would have the rights to the name and to do with it whatever we want.

Vir said:
Tribes isn't popular? On the contrary, T2 without the bugs and crashes could have easily been the second most popular fps in the world. Even before anyone's mod. The reason for this was simple, your average(new) gamer could care less about whether the skiing speed was faster or slower, or how some other obscure element compared to T1. They were hopelessly addicted to a new style of gameplay, a style that has been successfully and smartly stolen by several other popular games. The sooner this franchise dies permanently, the sooner it can get out of vug's hands.

you are gonna honestly argue that t2 had a large fan base? you must be smokin' somethin' serious bro. t1, at its peak (before CS ever came out) was hitting about 19,000 people a day. that was considered popular, it was awesome. now, as for t2, it sold a lot because of a massive marketing blitz, but the game really didn't hit any amazing place for competition. i hate to burst your smoke filled bubble, but t2 simply wasn't really that popular as compared to many other fps

as of right now, even if Tribes hit its numbers it did back in the days of 1999-2000, when tribes actually meant something. it would still trail behind games like Counter-Strike, and Americas's Army. Especially for support and all that jazz. and AA doesn't even get 19k anymore, the only reason i don't think trbies can be this popular is simply because of the saturation of the genre. if people have other stuff to play? why play tribes? you love it, i love it.

let's face it though, to the average gamer being a counter-terrorist is a lot more fun then being a cartoon space-man with a rocketeer style jet pack coming out of his ass while shooting a blue dish-plate.

get real. 2nd most popular fps, lol.

Right, 5k online every night is not a large fan base. 5k online every night with all the returns because the game wouldn't even install, or the game would crash before you even got into a server, or the performance issues. Yes T2 had a large fan base, the second most popular game at the time only had about 9k online every night, it could have easily achieved that. The bad press the game got hammered with after it was released was zero gameplay related. 2nd place is a realistic goal for any properly done tribes game, we're never going to beat CS though.

"but t2 simply wasn't really that popular as compared to many other fps"
such as? AA wasn't even out when T2 was released. Neither was BF, which was totally inspired by T2. The other games were like UT, quake, CS. It was very easy to get 2nd place in that timeslice.

Last edited:
Guys, we'd love to do another Tribes game. I've said it before, though, we're not doing it with IP Nazi's breathing down our necks. The only way we would do buisness with publisher regarding a Tribes game would be if we owned the IP, then we'd probably go with THQ or someone with a finished game, get a non-evil agreement, get it in a box, and get it out to you guys. No publisher funded stuff, none of that crap. We could do it very easily, I think.

It's all speculation, though. The flip side of it is that it would be like walking on eggshells. There were a few things in Tribes that were, game-design wise, pretty broken. Heavy capping, mine-discing, etc. Small things. Do we change them? My vote would be 'no', but that doesn't make them not broken. I'd do Tribes with better graphics, and way more community features.

Threats of Boycotting VUG products are just plain naive. VUG could care less about such threats, they know that A) they're hollow... I mean, come on, most of you here play games like WoW and HL2... do you know how many major games VUG publishes? Even if so, B) the few in the small community of tribes, who never play a VUG game again, are not going to be missed in the sea of the hundreds of thousands who play the other VUG games and could care less about Tribes.

This facination some of you have with the Torque Engine and Garage Games is also naive and short sighted. I love the guys at Garage Games, all of them and I am very much a Fanbois of the team. However, be honest, no matter what kind of All-Star team you think you could assemble, its not going to Fix Tribes any time soon. You would have though having Irrational Games, KineticPoet and Thrax, Marweas was a pretty "All Star" team, we all thought so, but it couldn't avoid where we are right now. Tribes is so fucked up in terms of its vision, that everyone has their own idea of what "Tribes" is and no one is actually right. Even if you assembled the divine "Garage Games" and managed to get the Tribes IP... who here can actually tell me what T4 would look like? None of you can, because for every "vision" put forward, there's a diametrically opposed one to fight it. Some think its big maps, others small maps. Some think its the vehicles, others claim vehicles destroy the game. Some of you seriously think its the targeting laser... how about Renegades? Raindance or Scarabrea? Stonehenge or Extreme Ski?

The only thing that is going to help us right now, is to put side the petty stuff like discussing what new game type the next Tribes should have, and focus on the only thing we all can honestly agree on without a doubt.

No matter what else, We All Love Tribes.

That is the only thing that's going to help us in the immediate future. Everything else that has been mentioned so far, is a distant second. So far distant, everything else is a dream. Even getting the Tribes IP is unfathomable right now...

Our most basic and simple goal right now, should be dialogue. We need to get VUG talking, or at the very least listening to us again... we need to prove to them that we're more important and more dangerous then they have, so far, given us credit for. To do that, we need to rally around what unites us without question, makes us mighty as a collective because we can not afford to be divided over the petty stuff anymore.

We Love Tribes,
They Love Tribes.
He Loves Tribes,
She Loves Tribes.
I Love Tribes,
You Love Tribes.

Everything else, is no longer important. You can go anywhere in this digital realm of the internet and find a Tribesplayer, deep down inside in the heart of most FPS gamers out there, and we can rally people because of this. Where ever I've gone in the last 6 years, whether they played it or not, there was always noble and honest setiment for the game of Tribes. It just takes a few passionate fanatics to stir the dust into a whirlwind that ignites the surrounding realm into a firestorm that can't be ignored.

We have it within us, we've proven it in the past. We need it right now.

KillerBunny said:
Guys, we'd love to do another Tribes game. I've said it before, though, we're not doing it with IP Nazi's breathing down our necks. The only way we would do buisness with publisher regarding a Tribes game would be if we owned the IP, then we'd probably go with THQ or someone with a finished game, get a non-evil agreement, get it in a box, and get it out to you guys. No publisher funded stuff, none of that crap. We could do it very easily, I think.

It's all speculation, though. The flip side of it is that it would be like walking on eggshells. There were a few things in Tribes that were, game-design wise, pretty broken. Heavy capping, mine-discing, etc. Small things. Do we change them? My vote would be 'no', but that doesn't make them not broken. I'd do Tribes with better graphics, and way more community features.

why not do it then and just call it something different.

Magus said:
you are gonna honestly argue that t2 had a large fan base? you must be smokin' somethin' serious bro. t1, at its peak (before CS ever came out) was hitting about 19,000 people a day. that was considered popular, it was awesome. now, as for t2, it sold a lot because of a massive marketing blitz, but the game really didn't hit any amazing place for competition. i hate to burst your smoke filled bubble, but t2 simply wasn't really that popular as compared to many other fps

as of right now, even if Tribes hit its numbers it did back in the days of 1999-2000, when tribes actually meant something. it would still trail behind games like Counter-Strike, and Americas's Army. Especially for support and all that jazz. and AA doesn't even get 19k anymore, the only reason i don't think trbies can be this popular is simply because of the saturation of the genre. if people have other stuff to play? why play tribes? you love it, i love it.

let's face it though, to the average gamer being a counter-terrorist is a lot more fun then being a cartoon space-man with a rocketeer style jet pack coming out of his ass while shooting a blue dish-plate.

get real. 2nd most popular fps, lol.

uh i dont know how popular it would be but i do know u are forgetting how many people returned the game because it wouldn't work on their computer. I had a top of the line computer with a fresh install and i still had problems, sometimes. Imagine a shitty computer with shitty graphics card at the start? It was unplayable and a ton of people returned the game.

And yet it still had 5k online every night.

T2 was way more popular than t1.

Last edited:
19k online every day. That's funniest fucking thing I have ever heard. What alternate reality are you pulling your numbers from. If T1 was getting 19k online every day there would have never been any reason to change the formula, they could of just pulled a Halo.

People say "no one will ever agree on what Tribes is". Exactly, that's why the next tribes game if it ever is made, has to be designed to appeal to the largest audience possible. This franchise desperately needs new blood, once that has been achieved, then you can add the mod tools so the tired OLD blood can make the game as they see fit.

I'm posting in this thread to make it longer and not do anything constructive. I understand no one reads it. tick tock tick tock tick tock...

Right, now that I've had time to read. :fu: VUG. I want to see a community driven TRIBES project, with the Tribes name. Beyond that, I'll support any good idea that comes from this. I believe the gaming community has the power to do anything we want, including giving anal loving to VUG. I don't care what start Tribes 2 had, but in the end it turned out to be a pretty fucking decent game. Tribes Vengeance has no hope of that.

Last edited:
loop said:
hi guys. hate to jump into this fun-filled drama thread, but I need to get this out of the way:

Legends is not a replacement for Tribes. It never will be. If that's what you're looking for, you're just going to be disappointed. Besides, we're so far from a real release you're going to be even more frustrated.

Please don't bring us into this disaster waiting to happen again. Thank you.

I'm aware of this.

But if people want to play a ... "Tribes-like" game and at the same time "punish" VUG,
Legends is the best bit -if you ask me-.
So far, you're the only ones developing something comparable with Tribes...
Besides a possible mod for SS:2845 (which is more or less a VUG game),
I cant see who else would make a game with the gameplay we know from Tribes.

JuggerNaught said:
A gaming forum that 'masses an attack' on a company the size of VUG will be nothing more to them than a break room joke.

actually, i suspect the tribes community is ALREADY a break room joke at VUG.

and so is marweas

(who folks here seem to forget is considerably responsible for TV design and marketing plan... yet rally around his posturing about being able to make something good happen for the brand when he couldnt even keep his job)

Back