[Beta Release] MP-Verdant

Cinderkarst

Veteran X
First and foremost, I'm looking for feedback on the balance of the map. The Imperial side has a lot more "dead space" behind it, and I'm interested to see how that will pan out. I would like to keep the terrain unmirrored if at all possible, but if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out.

Known issues:
Command Map sucks. If anyone knows how to replace this, please let me know so I can make it not suck anymore.

Feedback needed:
Bombers, yea or nay?
Side balance, is it reasonable?
Deployables, is what's there good?

.tvm in the Maps directory, .mopp in HavokData

It's about 600m flag-to-flag. Reply or PM with feedback. No flames please.

Pictures: http://www.def-rangers.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=18

Beta: http://www.clan-zerohour.com/pub/Cinderkarst/maps/VerdantBETA02.zip
MOFO's Mirror (Thanks!): http://server.themofoclan.com/downloads/tribesv/maps/VerdantBETA02.zip

Last edited:
Only had a few minutes to give it a go... but one annoyance I picked up right away was the deep shadows around the Imp flag stand.

-Half

Without addressing CC and lighting issues... the map feels really fast and huge. Did you intend for second spawn points to be like that, where your enemy's second spawn point was closer to your base than your second spawn point? The base probably needs just a little lip to get in, especially on beagle side. Dunno about the bomber... maybe. Balance would better be determined by some serious pubbing. But the overall balance to me seemed good, and I think the extra space behind imp base is ok. Felt pretty balanced.

Seems like it needs a bit of work before it is ready for pub play so I am probably going to take it out of rotation. It's a great start, I absolutely love the huge hills and fast skiing. I got some 250-275 runs almost immediately. Great work! Lemme know when you get it updated!

Haven't pubbed it yet but it feels like the flags are too close to have bombers. Maybe one pod per team instead. Seems like it will be a fast map. I kinda wish the flags didn't have a top over them, but thats just me.

-Wolverine said:
Without addressing CC and lighting issues... the map feels really fast and huge. Did you intend for second spawn points to be like that, where your enemy's second spawn point was closer to your base than your second spawn point?

Yep.

The base probably needs just a little lip to get in, especially on beagle side.

I'll probably end up doing that in the final release.

Keep the ideas coming people!

One other thing.... the rep kit. Inside the base or around back might be better spot for it. Out front in front of the flag can and will get ugly.

BFGanksta said:
Haven't pubbed it yet but it feels like the flags are too close to have bombers. Maybe one pod per team instead.

The flags are farther apart than on Winterlake, so I have to disagree regarding the bomber. However, pub testing will tell.

Great looking map Cinder. Nice skiing too. Haven't pubbed it yet but a few comments so far:

- Agree on shadows on Imp side, both on ledge in front of flag and on top where sensor is .... very easy to hide turrets in these shadows compared to the other side. You can put all 3 turs and rep station up there and it will keep turs and sensor alive lurking in the shadows.
- The deployable turrets respawn almost instantly upon repair .... I assume this was intentional
- You can't transport from one spawn tower to the other. Might be intentional
- HO skiing from spawn 2 to enemy flag seemed easier on one side (sorry can't remember which). One is a downhill from spawn 2 then easy ski up to enemy base. The other starts with an uphill climb. That's just first impression though ... there might be a better way I didn't see yet.
- I like the idea of a bomber but with no pod (as much as I hate the effing thing) and no stationary turrets it's going to be a PITA trying to kill those bombers at least in pubs.

This map is going to be awesome, btw. Kudos to Cinder for releasing [one of?] the first true custom maps for T:V.

edit : oops, didn't see the pics link :D

Baby, I, I just need to be by myself... Think about things...
normal_verdant_lake.jpg

very nice job, looks like I'll have to join Mofos tonight to give it a go :)

Last edited:
cinder i thought the map was pretty well balanced, especially in comparison to the "balance" of the release maps. its obviously not a perfectly mirrored terrain map, but its' great overall. of 5 stars i gave it 4.3

only suggestions is make a few more rolling hills, and consider the heavies ;)

oh another one i remember... the sun flares into the BE defenders' (i think BE) eyes making it harder for D. and with the complaints of too many shadows, a quick fix IMO you could just add some light emitters to the bottoms of the bases as a source, then drop some lighting onto the maps to dissolve some of the shadows.

Back