[HOW TO] Host a *dedicated* server, configure, setup webadmin by TySoft - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page [HOW TO] Host a *dedicated* server, configure, setup webadmin
Page 1 of 14
TySoft
VeteranX
Old
1 - 08-27-2004, 21:53
Quote:
Originally Posted by KineticPoet
There's a stripped down build of the dedicated server that we created for free download. This has no CD checking in it. This build is in VUG's hands for approval and distribution. It's unfortunate that this build is not already available to you, but I'm afraid I don't have any more information at this time,
KP

*Edited with additional tips from the thread*

I'm not an expert with T:V's server yet, I do, however, have a bit more experience than someone jumping straight into it. Sharing some of the absolute basics of getting the server up and running here. I will add additional tips/advice to the first post if anyone wants to contribute.

99% of the "Another TV Server" servers are listen servers, which are lagging like mad. Here's how to get a dedicated server up and running.

[b]---------Step 1 - Initial Configuration[b] - Straight from Thrax...---------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrax Panda
Easy:

First go to the programs\bin directory and open your tribesv_mpbeta_en.ini file. Search for "servername=" and change your server name.

Penultimately, edit your tribesAdmin.ini and change the password.

Finally, change the short cut to lauch TV to read something like:
\bin\Tribesv_mpbeta_en.ex e mp-isle?maxplayers=21 -server
Alternatively, you can add one username/password to your shortcut and then configure additional admins in the web interface (next). To do this, add ?AdminName=administrator? AdminPassword=pass to your shortcut so it looks something like:

\bin\Tribesv_mpbeta_en.ex e mp-isle?maxplayers=21?AdminN ame=administrator?AdminPa ssword=pass -server

^^ That may be easier since you don't have to bother with tribesadmin.ini

---------Step 2 - SETTING UP WEB ADMIN---------

Those of you familiar with UT2k3/UT2k4 servers are familiar with the web admin interface. Irrational has brought this incredibly useful tool over to T:V as well.

Open the afromentioned tribesv_mpbeta_en.ini file and find the section labeled [UWeb.WebServer]. The defaults look something like:

Code:
[UWeb.WebServer]
Applications[0]=TribesWebAdmin.TribesServerAdmin
ApplicationPaths[0]=/ServerAdmin
Applications[1]=TribesWebAdmin.TribesImageServer
ApplicationPaths[1]=/images
DefaultApplication=0
bEnabled=False
Change bEnabled to True to enable the admin interface on HTTP port 80. To change the default port, add a line in this section that reads: ListenPort=8080 (or whatever port you choose). In the end, it should look like:

Code:
[UWeb.WebServer]
Applications[0]=TribesWebAdmin.TribesServerAdmin
ApplicationPaths[0]=/ServerAdmin
Applications[1]=TribesWebAdmin.TribesImageServer
ApplicationPaths[1]=/images
DefaultApplication=0
bEnabled=True
ListenPort=8080
You can access web admin by pointing your browser to the server IP/port. If it's running on your local PC with the above settings, http://localhost:8080 will work. Log in with the user/pass you set up in TribesAdmin.ini.

---------Additional Engine Options---------

To specify which INI to use for server config. Useful for multiple instances from same directory:
ini=tribesv_mpbeta_en.ini

To specify which IP to bind to - In ut2k4 this went in the shortcut, does NOT appear to be working:
multihome=192.168.1.8

To specify which PORT to bind to - In ut2k4 this went in the shortcut, does NOT appear to be working:
port=7777

To specify where to log to:
log=tribesv_mpbeta_en.log

A full shortcut with some of these may look like:
Tribesv_mpbeta_en.exe mp-isle?maxplayers=24?AdminN ame=admin?AdminPassword=X XXXXX -server ini=tribesv_mpbeta_en.ini log=tribesv_mpbeta_en.log port=7777

---------Additional tribesv_mpbeta_en.ini SETTINGS---------

Copied straight from my server - self explanatory.

Code:
[Engine.GameReplicationInfo]
ServerName=]CkB[ Dont Ask Dont Tell
AdminName=TySoft
[email protected]
ShortName=CkB DADT
MOTDLine1=Welcome, enjoy the game!
MOTDLine2=Add -console to enable the console in your client.
MOTDLine3=Then press tab to access it.
MOTDLine4=
TO ENABLE GAME PASSWORD
Code:
[Engine.AccessControl]
IPPolicies=ACCEPT,*
GamePassword=PASSWORDHERE
LoginDelaySeconds=1.000000

PERFORMANCE AFFECTING INI SETTINGS
There are a few important settings in the [IpDrv.TcpNetDriver] area of the ini which may be of use to those of you who want to play around and tweak for the best performance out of your server.

I'm by no means an expert here.

MaxClientRate

The default value is 20000. I have found personally found that setting this to 10000 reduces overall complaints of lag *in my case*. I believe this prevents those who use LAN connection mode in their client from flooding their own connections with too much information (not sure). May also reduce server cpu usage (again not sure).

NetServerMaxTickRate=20

I have not changed this from the default value. Be very careful here - this has a huge effect on gameplay and server CPU utilization. I can't explain this setting any better than UnrealAdmin.org's tickrate article does. Give this a read when you have time - and give it a complete read. Do not play with the tickrate if you don't understand what it's going to do. I think the default value is pretty good.

---------Additional ADMIN CONSOLE COMMANDS---------

Log out to log in as another user
adminlogout

Login
adminlogin Name Password

Kick somebody
admin kick PlayerName

Ban somebody
admin ban PlayerName

how do i admin someone on a server
admin promote PlayerName (i think)

---------TO PREVENT PLAYERS FROM DEAD STOPPING DUE TO ANTI SPEEDHACK CODE---------

1. Remove read-only attribute on the file /program/bin/default.ini
2. Under [Engine.GameEngine] add EnableCheatProtection=Fal se

With the default settings, my 24 man CTF server (]CkB[ Don't Ask Don't Tell) hovers at 70% CPU usage under Emerald on a P4 2.8 with 1gb RAM. At a quick glance, I am averaging 1.0Mbit/s out and 500Mbit/s in according to my RTG graphs.

THANKS CANDYMAN, HELADO, RUSS, DR. CHMOD FOR SOME OF THIS INFO

Last edited by TySoft; 10-06-2004 at 19:21..
Sponsored Links
TySoft
VeteranX
Old
2 - 08-27-2004, 21:57
I also find that after 24 hours or so of running, lag starts to develop a bit. Have heard others say this too. When in doubt, restart your server.

Remember, it's beta!

CandyMan
i have been denied
Contributor
Old
3 - 08-27-2004, 22:15
some console commands

Log out to log in as another user
adminlogout

Login
adminlogin Name Password

Kick somebody
admin kick PlayerName

Ban somebody
admin ban PlayerName

how do i admin someone on a server
admin promote PlayerName (i think)

Oh yea, on the restart thing. Just set a task schedule up to start/stop the server at certain times for you. It's what hell is doing.

Helado
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
4 - 08-27-2004, 22:21
You can also right click on the icon(s) in the tray and choose Advanced options to set alot of these settings.

Bridude
VeteranXV
Old
5 - 08-27-2004, 22:29
how do i pw the server?

how do I change the time laps for when you forst start the map?

MadBoFo
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
6 - 08-27-2004, 22:32
you use the gui or webmin

|CO|Kapeket!!
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
7 - 08-27-2004, 22:37
Not getting my target correct. What am I doing wrong gents?

Bridude
VeteranXV
Old
8 - 08-27-2004, 22:37
you need to type a command? cause I didnt see that option.

Plasma
VeteranX
Old
9 - 08-27-2004, 23:00
1Mbits/out 500MBits/in ?

500?!?

TySoft
VeteranX
Old
10 - 08-27-2004, 23:03
oops, 500kbit

CandyMan
i have been denied
Contributor
Old
11 - 08-27-2004, 23:10
Oh yea, hell was dropped to 20 players cause apparently the CPU goes to 100% on a P4 2.4 with 1gb ram for the hosting server... where it runs a 30 player ut2k4 server just fine and it runs 3 T1 24 players just fine.

Master_01
VeteranXV
Old
12 - 08-27-2004, 23:18
and for servers with dual nic cards and dual processors?

with t2 we had to turn on the performance counter thing and bind an ip address.

how will i do this in tv?

Hurricane Harold
VeteranX
Old
13 - 08-27-2004, 23:39
All the best servers are completely full, and the ones that aren't full but have a high player limit, quite frankly, suck. Just check the info on them in the server browser, there are folks with 1000+ pings. :ack:

CandyMan
i have been denied
Contributor
Old
14 - 08-27-2004, 23:42
I have yet to do this, but unless things change I won't be hosting anything other than Hell and I know many others won't be hosting at all.

Helado
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
15 - 08-28-2004, 00:05
Well, we ran a 20 player T:V and a 32 player BF:V WWII mod server simultaneously and didn't see many hiccups. It *did* send the server to about 90% though, so we'll probably drop one. Just need to get the webadmin figured out.

The server is Altf4gaming.com's Frosty Pint, so if you are playing on it and have good/bad feedback, PM me.

Big Monkey
VeteranXV
Old
16 - 08-28-2004, 00:08
I can't get the webadmin going yet, but I think I probably have to shut the server down and then restart because I edited the files while the server was running.

This is crazy, I initialized the server and it was set for default 16...and it was full as soon as I was done toying with the settings. I logged of remote admin and went to my gamer PC and tried to log in for the 1st time and got rejected from my own server cuz it was full

Is there any way to run multiple servers on one box?

Master_01
VeteranXV
Old
17 - 08-28-2004, 00:10
i try to get the server to show on the clients list but it comes up as

[q3s] IP not found (may be scanner problem) 0.0.0.0:27960
[q3s] Server is not available 69.93.46.226:27960

i used "TVS 69.93.46.226:7777" in the clients.txt file.

since it showed up as q3s i tried that also and same thing happend.

Helado
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
18 - 08-28-2004, 00:20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Monkey
I can't get the webadmin going yet, but I think I probably have to shut the server down and then restart because I edited the files while the server was running.

This is crazy, I initialized the server and it was set for default 16...and it was full as soon as I was done toying with the settings. I logged of remote admin and went to my gamer PC and tried to log in for the 1st time and got rejected from my own server cuz it was full

Is there any way to run multiple servers on one box?

We had a problem with webadmin... To fix it I made sure I edited while the server was down and kept it verbatim of tysofts above. There was some extra crap that I just commented out.

As far as dual servers, you could try double .ini's and use ini=server.ini on the command line argument. Thats UT2k4 options, so I don't know if it will work or not.

Helado
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
19 - 08-28-2004, 00:26
Anyone else have problems with the GUI kick/ban? The kicks show up in the console, but the player isn't kicked. It usually says Admin kicking [insertrandomchars]Name

KillerONE
VeteranX
Old
20 - 08-28-2004, 00:26
How can I password a server?

Any .ini setting? Command line switch?

Page 1 of 14

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page [HOW TO] Host a *dedicated* server, configure, setup webadmin

Social Website Bullshit