Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page News: TribalWar Vengeance Movie
Page 27 of 29
Zaptistas_Blood
VeteranX
Old
521 - 05-16-2004, 17:05
Did Colosus say that he was gonna upload a hi-res Fort video when he got home?

Sponsored Links
Colosus
my pronouns are..
Contributor
Old
522 - 05-16-2004, 17:10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaptistas_Blood
Did Colosus say that he was gonna upload a hi-res Fort video when he got home?
Yes. I was capturing last night and there's either something wrong with the beginning of the tape or my camera so I'm going to go get a head cleaner. Worse comes to worse, you lose 3 minutes of thrax sucking it up. ;-) We have over an hour and a half worth of footage from all over E3 so I'll be capturing and editing that. Probably won't see the first movie until Tuesday just to give me time to watch everything.

However, I am writing my review right now so expect that shortly.

CxD
VeteranXX
Old
523 - 05-16-2004, 17:12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colosus
Yes. I was capturing last night and there's either something wrong with the beginning of the tape or my camera so I'm going to go get a head cleaner. Worse comes to worse, you lose 3 minutes of thrax sucking it up. ;-) We have over an hour and a half worth of footage from all over E3 so I'll be capturing and editing that. Probably won't see the first movie until Tuesday just to give me time to watch everything.

However, I am writing my review right now so expect that shortly.
cool

Makasuro
VeteranXX
Old
524 - 05-16-2004, 17:12
Wassup Col,

Colosus
my pronouns are..
Contributor
Old
525 - 05-16-2004, 17:17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makasuro
Wassup Col,
Tired as all hell. Got in about 4am yesterday. Went to bed around 7am and just woke up around 2pm. Now I'm finishing up some stuff for you guys. Oh the pain I go through to give you the best T:V info possible.

;-)

"Maka..... Maka.... Makaaaaaaaaaaaaaa SURO!"

Thrax Panda
God Complex4
Old
526 - 05-16-2004, 17:47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Validuz
Not at the time I'm talking about... he throws two instantly.
Just a bug that sometimes two get tossed at once right now.

Mojo616
VeteranXX
Old
527 - 05-16-2004, 18:24
Uh, this game looks awesome.

SonGohan
VeteranXX
Old
528 - 05-16-2004, 18:27
I hear Marweas getting fired was a bug. When's that going to get patched out?

Writer
VeteranXV
Old
529 - 05-16-2004, 18:51
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatWombat
I dont think that actually works.
The physics code would look something like so:
Oops. I was thinking of the player's mass affecting the equation (since mass causes gravity), but of course it has no effect. Duh.

Thanks for relearning me some physics CombatWombat.

Okay, so I'll revise my advice to be an increase in gravity...which KP has said they're already trying this weekend.

Minipete
VeteranX
Old
530 - 05-16-2004, 19:02
this is a sweet looking game, hopefully it is better than t2...does anyone have any idea of when t3 is going to be ready?

CombatWombat
VeteranXV
Old
531 - 05-16-2004, 19:28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Writer
Oops. I was thinking of the player's mass affecting the equation (since mass causes gravity), but of course it has no effect. Duh.

Thanks for relearning me some physics CombatWombat.

Okay, so I'll revise my advice to be an increase in gravity...which KP has said they're already trying this weekend.
No problemo. Personally I think the problem has to do with the traditional rightmouse click jetting causing alot of verticle thrust making you float upwards. Players will just need to learn to use the sideways only thrust for making their skiing adjustments. With that it has the potential to be *faster* than T1, as even in the origional you got *some* up-thrust when attempting to make minor course adjustments.
Also I hope they make the sideways only thrust use up some jetpack energy.

Last edited by CombatWombat; 05-16-2004 at 22:45..
-Chaos-
Unregistered
Old
532 - 05-16-2004, 20:03
Slant_This your a fudgeing dumb dude get a life....

what are you about 12? will your mommy let you play T:V?

Thrax Panda
God Complex4
Old
533 - 05-16-2004, 20:43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonGohan
I hear Marweas getting fired was a bug. When's that going to get patched out?
Right after you figure out that he wasn't fired.

experimental
VeteranX
Old
534 - 05-16-2004, 21:37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Writer
Agreed. After watching the video, and stalking you through the forums for a while (gotta love that "find all posts by experimental" feature ), here's my own perspective on the whole "floaty" issue.

1. Where's the gravity? Things don't appear to fall quickly enough...I understand that all the physics are correct, but the video really makes it look like you're flying around in a low-g environment. In order for the freedom of motion in Tribes to really feel like freedom of motion, we need to feel like we need to do something to keep in the air.

I suspect that you could solve a lot of this by simply giving the armors more mass. Increase the thrust accordingly (so they still accelerate the same) but make them feel heavier in the air.

The goal is not to feel like a fairy dancing in the clouds. This isn't Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, where you tiptoe gracefully across the treetops. This is Tribes, where you're wearing a ton of powered armor, a big heavy metal suit of protection that you couldn't even lift on your own. You should feel like the only thing keeping you up in the air is thrust, and the momentum you get from it.

THRUST. In T1, it's more important than the air you breathe. In T:V, I think it should be powerful (as it appears in the videos)...WHAM you hit the thruster, you get results. But when you let go, you should start falling a bit more quickly.

The main point I'm trying to make is that the freedom of vertical movement in T:V will seem even more liberating if the gravity is more pronounced.

2. Here's how I would solve the predictability issue:

Increase the player's inertia. (Which of course means increasing the player's mass...yep, same solution as #1.) Make it so that when you thrust in a given direction, you accelerate quickly. But if you want to counter that movement, and move in another direction, you have to first overcome the inertia.

Since you've stated that real physics are already involved, I'll assume that this is already happening. What I would recommend is to make it feel more pronounced.

This gives more strategic importance to the movements you make while in the air, because you need to plan your moves better if you want to keep your momentum. Once you jet to the right, you can't just instantly move to the left...you'll need to jet "through" your inertia if you want to reverse directions like that.

So, the new player who needs to correct at the top of a jump in order to land on the platform, is able to do so with no problems. But in a fight, that same ability to move easily in one direction at a time means that it will be harder not to telegraph your moves.

The trick, of course, is not to increase mass/inertia/gravity so much that you feel overly limited by them. The key to that, of course, is balancing thrust amplitude and thrust availability so you always feel able to maneuver -- just not completely without discretion.
good stuff mate, thanks.

stasis
VeteranX
Old
535 - 05-16-2004, 21:44
big thanks to the devs for posting in here
also, in my skim of the thread, i'm not sure if this was covered or if it went over my head: the faster you go, will it be harder to control your movements? kind of like if you're going super fast on a motorcycle and you nudge it a bit, you move a great deal more then what you would have done at a slower speed
basically, the faster you go, the harder your movements will be, but harder to control? (and will they be a point where they are literally impossible to control... now THAT would be interesting... seeing somebody move too fast and fly into a wall, the ground or something)

oh, and the trails are gross

ParoxysM
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
536 - 05-17-2004, 02:04

Apotheosis
VeteranXV
Old
537 - 05-17-2004, 02:22
Take the post number of the above post and divide by two, then subtract that from the singular numbers in the date/time stamp, and you get 243.

536, 05-17-2004, 02:04

(536/2 - (0+5+1+7+2+0+0+4+0+2+0+4) ) = 243

Interesting, eh?

Sigma8
Archaeologist
Old
538 - 05-17-2004, 02:44
I'm late. Just downloaded and watched the video. It downloaded at 200+ k/sec tho, so I guess it sometimes has advantages to missing the rush.

Thanks Colosus for posting this!

experimental
VeteranX
Old
539 - 05-17-2004, 03:05
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatWombat
No problemo. Personally I think the problem has to do with the traditional rightmouse click jetting causing alot of verticle thrust making you float upwards. Players will just need to learn to use the sideways only thrust for making their skiing adjustments. With that it has the potential to be *faster* than T1, as even in the origional you got *some* up-thrust when attempting to make minor course adjustments.
Also I hope they make the sideways only thrust use up some jetpack energy.
yeah, you are totally right that its actually even more control than t1, because you apply zero vertical when adjusting, instead of just a tiny amount - nice to see you guys are coming around to an understanding of the thrust model.

Zoolooman
VeteranXV
Old
540 - 05-17-2004, 03:45
I know you aren't implying this experimental, but I'm mentioning it for people who might misconstrue your reply: abstaining from floating does not remove floatiness.

Page 27 of 29

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page News: TribalWar Vengeance Movie

Social Website Bullshit