OFFICIAL Rover/Rocket Pod discussion thread

Colosus said:
Do you even realize who you are making remarks against? I play both games equally. A remote respawn is a stupid idea. It puts too much focus on trying to destroy a mobile front of the enemy and takes away from the action at the flags and bases.
Well, if one team has a tactical goal of placing a remote spawn point and one doesn't, someone's base is gonna get trashed while they're out looking for a parking space ...

the rocket pod is win in my book. It's not guided, so it will require a degree of skill to aim. Not only that, but you'll pretty much have to be distraction free to be successful with this.

The rover. Interesting. Not sure how it'll fit in in the grand scheme of things. Heavies can't drive it, but can they be seated in it? Speed of it? Functionality? Weapon/shield strength? I'm sure we'll get a good demonstration during the video, so my opinion is still out on the Rover.

Then make sure you have some tissues around when you watch the video, Blitz.

The Rocket Pod is an interesting weapon.

One button press releases all 6 rockets. On a number of occasions I could fire another 6 rockets while the first 6 were still flying around. The rockets are pretty responsive - you can make them go in one direction and then turn them in mid-air to another direction, but they have their own velocity, so a hit takes quite a bit of skill. They're not very good against fast moving targets, and I wasn't able to target them at all while skiing fast. Thrax said they were pretty good at hitting the rover. This weapon is restricted to Med/Heavy armors. My biggest gripe with it is the model/skin. What do you think?

edit: the RP is NOT heat-seeking

Last edited:
liquidh2o said:
the rocket pod is win in my book. It's not guided, so it will require a degree of skill to aim. Not only that, but you'll pretty much have to be distraction free to be successful with this.
Agreed. Just MAKE SURE it never comes out - at least in Base ... I don't give a damn about the mods crowd - with a heat-seeking flavor ...

"Currently, the rocket pod is a bit tricky to use. We're exploring ways of making it fun while ensuring it remains a skill-based weapon. I should mention that, unlike Tribes 2, Tribes: Vengeance doesn't have flares to counter rockets. Your only defense is to be aware and dodge accordingly."

This is odd. I like the part about keeping it skill based, but then he talks about dodging rockets.

I see it becoming like a half health shocklance. Get close and let fly. If the inital fire is spread I don't think that will be a problem. Maybe if you have the rockets come out sequentialy or something.

Colosus said:
Do you even realize who you are making remarks against? I play both games equally. A remote respawn is a stupid idea. It puts too much focus on trying to destroy a mobile front of the enemy and takes away from the action at the flags and bases.

Ya, I know who you are Colossus. But thanks for asking.

Depending on how a mobile front is implemented, it can have a multitude of impacts on gameplay. In any case, reasonable implementation would equate to strategic depth.

I disagree that these things can not be implemented without detracting from a given game's objectives.

In general, I am progressive when it comes to design, not prohibitive.

makua said:
I see it becoming like a half health shocklance. Get close and let fly. If the inital fire is spread I don't think that will be a problem. Maybe if you have the rockets come out sequentialy or something.

They do. Not a rocket shotgun.

Back