Regardless of price... how much different is the performance between these 2?

AkumA said:
I gotta game on the side.
Well, get a mac regardless. When OS 10.2 comes out, you will be able to run windows and the mac app at the same time. You can alt tab from the mac into windows, that and it will run all PC applications (thats a given) As well, it's much cheaper to get a MAC. My brother bought an ibook for like 1500$ and its as powerful as my p4 1000, 512mg ddr ram, 64mg videocard. Once OS 10.2 comes out, I plan to game on it.

1. So this is what the omen of the Apocalypse looks like: a vet^3 recommends an iBook over a (presumably) high-end PC laptop.

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Not that I'd necessarily disagree, except that if cost is no object, skip the iBook and go for a Powerbook.

2. Uh.. 10.2 has been out for like a year. I'm running 10.2.6 right now. WTF are you talking about, Nurp?

2 1/2. And it's not like 10.2 runs Windows software natively; even if the APIs were there, you'd still need hardware emulation. Of course, Virtual PC gives you both, but getting a Mac to run Windows games in emulation might not be the smartest idea since the performance just isn't going to match up to a real Windows machine running the games natively.

3. Besides, do you really want Kuma to get a Mac (other than so some of you guys can laugh at him later)? I mean, if you combine his inexplicable woman-attracting ability with the well-documented sexual power of a Mac laptop, then not only will some of us never get laid again due to a sudden pussy shortage, but a thousand years from now 90% of Earth's population will be descended from him.

I know you won't be around by then, but can you, in good conscience, abandon the planet to such a fate?

Nurp said:
Well, get a mac regardless. When OS 10.2 comes out, you will be able to run windows and the mac app at the same time. You can alt tab from the mac into windows, that and it will run all PC applications (thats a given) As well, it's much cheaper to get a MAC. My brother bought an ibook for like 1500$ and its as powerful as my p4 1000, 512mg ddr ram, 64mg videocard. Once OS 10.2 comes out, I plan to game on it.

that sounds pretty interesting, maybe i'll look into a mac for my next laptop.

Nurp said:
I just went to dell's site and built a 2.66 ghz laptop with 512 MB ram and a 64 meg vid card for under $1400.

Powerbooks are titanium sex. I'd so get one if I could afford it, you can also run a limited amount of cool games on it.

In addition you'd get to see what the lightside of the force has to deal with (and really, being in the computer business isn't it about diversity, eh, eh?). And if you needed to you could always pop open virtual pc if you needed to burn a boot disc or some such thing. Win emulation for office and general windows crap is fine, games don't work though.

graphicstop01072003.jpg

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/
http://www.apple.com/games/
http://www.apple.com/macosx/ <--- worth the price of addmission

[/salesman]

http://pctorque.com/
Sager: The 8890 laptop gets like a 13000+ on 3dmark01

8880L.jpg

8890-V
16" SXGA Active Matrix LCD
ATI 9600 Pro
On-Board Hardware RAID
Pentium® 4 3.2GHz 800 FSB
1024 MB DDR
40.0 GB HD
8x DVD / 24x10x24 CD-RW Combo Drive & Softwares
TV Tuner with Remote
10/100/1000 Ethernet Adapter
Optional Detachable MP3 Player
Smart Li-ION Battery
$2530.00
Cash Discount
$2471.81

Last edited:
Nurp said:
1: Macs are far more expensive than a comparable PC.
2: Macs cannot run any Windows software. They can *gasp* use emulation to run Windows software, just like PCs can use emulation to run software compiled for any other platform. Unless you're trying to say that Apple was bored and decided to give Microsoft a whole lot of money to incorporate DX and Win32 into Mac OS within the past few days.
3: There was never a P4 1GHz.
4: Good luck with your plans to game on it. You're still going to have to wait for Mac ports (which almost never come.) I'd love to see somebody attempt to run anything newer than Tribes in emulation.

Akuma, with Alienware you're paying for colored plastic and service. There is no way in hell that is worth $3100.

Side by side, bold is better imo.

company: Sager - Alienware
screen: 17" 1440*900 - 15" 1600*1200
video: m9000/64mb - m9000/128mb
cpu: 3.06 p4 - 3.06 p4
hd: 40gb - 80gb
ram: 512 pc2700 - 1024 pc2100
dvd: 24x10x24x8x cdrw-dvd - 8x dvd + 24x10x24x cdrw
warrantee: 1yr parts, labor. phone - 1yr automated phone

included:
fdd: yes - no
lan: yes - yes